Gweens have a plan to legalise it (apparently)

F

freddie

Why is the ABC in the centre, it should be in with the Guardian opinion, same as the Guardian

"As for me, I'll point out racism, propaganda and hate when I see it... and I have a thing for debunking conspiracy theories and myth."

Nobody hates as good as the left, or promotes propaganda like them
they love useful idiots like yourself
Can't agree with that at all. Some of the biggest haters I've met are Ultra Right Christians. As for propaganda, the Republicans under Trump were (and still are) masters of it.

Anyway done my voting duty early. I did not vote for the legalise cannabis party as I couldn't find what other issues they would vote on. I did put them 2nd though.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Mate, just ask yourself. Where are all the old big name Aussie brands doing their manufacturing these days. History speaks for itself..

As i thought i stated, i'd like to see them taxed accordingly as well. But the cunts play the game better than any government.

Anyway, my point being, there doesn't appear to be much of a Plan B when it comes to revenue. All i'm hearing is shitloads of expenditures to change our ways, and while doing so some sectors/industries are going to be obliterated for it , if they can't escape OS like many others already.

I've said many times. I'd like to see us clean up our act. But that shouldn't come at rthe expense of someone's livelihood. There needs to be a transitional period of a couple of decades, at least, for change to come about. There needs to be overhauls in many Gov departments (Federally, State, Councils..), and that shit isnt going to happen in a couple of terms in office.

I could go on. But to be honest, my interests isn't heavily invested in state of the current political scene. None of them appear to have any genuine integrity or stand up/out values with them. As pedro would state about em..

Google, Facebook, apple etc aren’t leaving Australia anytime soon even with tax rises for big buisness. Same with rio Tinto and all the other companies with their finger in the Pilbara.

Manufacturing has gone overseas because of the liberal government. Holden would still be here if the Rudd/Gillard plan from a decade ago to retool Holden into manufacturing electric cars had of gone ahead. Instead the libs let gm bleed Holden dry of all its profits and eventually pulled the plug when it started costing them money.

There’s no reason manufacturing can’t return especially if we stop exporting all our raw commodities. Twiggys plan for hydrogen seems a bit far fetched to some but green steel is a huge opportunity for Australia given our large (mostly uninhabited) landmass, sheer scale of iron ore reserves and our renewable generation potential (literally the best in the world) for solar, wind and other emerging technologies like wave and tidal. With our potential we don’t even really need storage* if we oversize renewables by 200-400%

*storage tech like pumped hydro etc are still vital for a stable and balanced grid and continue to improve. Even nuclear plants use pumped hydro to stabilise their output.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Manufacturing cant/won't return to our shores. It's just way too expensive to produce anything here any longer. We just can't compete in the global market.

It's bloody ludicrous to what we pay for electricity and gas, our very own natural resources. If anything, it should be the cheapest compared to other. countries.

As for emerging green technologies with solar, tidal, etc.. I'm all for it. But I believe we shouldn't try and shift over to it as sole sources for our power supply. Especially if you want believe that the climate will turn on us in time, because a lot of that infrastructure will be wiped out fairly often. We still need a solution base load requirements.

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
Tasmania is 100% renewable energy and I’ve never had an outage due to load issues In the last 5 years.
I reckon this whole “we must have coal and gas“ approach is simply the fossil fuel lobbyists lining the pockets of the 2 major parties.

SA went down the path of batteries. And their supply as far as I know has been more reliable than ever.

combine hydro, solar, wind, and batteries to load balance, there is no need for fossil fuels.

in fact, we are industry laggards because of this corrupt government.
Spain turned off their last coal fired power station last year. they retrained and redeployed the workforce into other areas, such as renewables. They successfully transitioned with the support of the unions.

spain has 47 million people. We have 26 million. I don’t accept any argument that says we can’t do it.

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
Nuclear is fine, as long as there is stability in the country, for say the next 1000 years. And no geological disasters.

honestly. we don’t even need nuclear. And I’ve lived in countries that have nuclear. When it’s stable, it works a treat.

Take it 1 step further, solar panels on every house would significantly decrease the need for large load base. A 5kw system with sensible usage habits can run a house easily.
a 10k system is more than enough imo.

There are cars already in the market with vehicle to grid, meaning you can charge your car batteries during the day and power your house at night off the car.
i love the idea of a portable battery system…….,.

as a country, we are so far behind in these technologies, it is embarrassing.
we have been lied to for years from slow mo and his bunch of happy clappers.

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
Yep. But, I have belief. We will get there…..albeit dragged, kicking and screaming like a petulant child.
as global markets freeze out deniers, and stop trade with fossil fuel offending countries. some car makers won’t be selling internal combustions engines from as early as 2025, with majors following by 2030.
many countries have already signed up to this. the UK as an example.
we’re about to get smacked right on the nose, and as a population, we don’t even see it coming.
rant mode off. Sorry about that. Just quite passionate about the current governments total lack of leadership and totally shit execution.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Manufacturing cant/won't return to our shores. It's just way too expensive to produce anything here any longer. We just can't compete in the global market.

It's bloody ludicrous to what we pay for electricity and gas, our very own natural resources. If anything, it should be the cheapest compared to other. countries.

As for emerging green technologies with solar, tidal, etc.. I'm all for it. But I believe we shouldn't try and shift over to it as sole sources for our power supply. Especially if you want believe that the climate will turn on us in time, because a lot of that infrastructure will be wiped out fairly often. We still need a solution base load requirements.
Base load is only required when you have slow to react generators. Instantaneous dispatchable power is much better and easily possible with renewable. Australia has the potential to generate enough renewable energy to have our grid oversized by over 500%. The more a renewables grid is oversized the less storage is needed while allowing for any instantaneous energy surplus to go into green hydrogen and ammonia production. Industry support renewables as seen by tomago aluminium (literally the countries largest power user) announcing when their current power buying agreement with agl expires in 2030 they will be going 100% renewables and only seeking a power buying agreements that incorporate 100% renewable generation and storage.

As more renewables come onto the market green hydrogen production will become more appealing which will bring steel smelting making back to aus.

We’ve got the room and potential for more renewables than we ever need, we’ve got the iron ore and we’ve got the smarts (we’re pretty high up in green steel tech with molycorp in newy looking at alternate carbon sources to coal)

Last edited:

R3za92

Baked
User ID
I'm not a fan of coal and gas either that much. I've been leaning towards nuclear for some time now. Fuck me, now I've opened a can of worms. .
Too expensive, incredibly slow deployment, the waste, Not instantaneously dispatchable and require storage just like renewables (mostly in the form of pumped hydro) to make the grid stable. Which is exactly why private companies are putting their money into mature renewable technologies like solar and wind while hedging bets (with good odds) on advancements in storage tech and aren’t even slightly looking at nuclear, coal or gas unless the government puts stupid amount of taxpayer money towards it.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
As a country, we've always been that 10-20 years to uptake new technologies that other countries have moved onto. Fuck knows why that is the case, but it's always been that way for as long as I can recall.
It’s a disgrace seeing how much advancement in solar and wind tech has come out of the Australian academic community simply to be exported to a country more willing to invest in implementation

P

Pedro de spacas

The more "renewables" we have the higher the electric prices go, no wind, no sun, no power, at least coal and gas is reliable

Be more like Mad Max then "water world" the way were going at the moment

Pikey

Baked
User ID
The more "renewables" we have the higher the electric prices go, no wind, no sun, no power, at least coal and gas is reliable

I see you're from the "Wind farms don’t work in the dark" school of thinking :ROFLMAO:

View attachment Sir Dave Lennon - The nationals member for Mallee Dr Anne Webster tells us wind farms don’t w...webm

EDIT : That's the National Party member for Mallee Dr Anne Webster in the video by the way.

Last edited:

R3za92

Baked
User ID

Yeah blame renewables because coal and gas prices are at record highs and still account for 60%+ of the grid.

Coal is reliable? Yeah just look at qld recently loosing a generator and how that failure effected the grid (hint it was renewables that took the brunt of the impact) and how that’s effected power prices especially in north qld.

Top Bottom