Growth Vs Big Bills

Do the benefits of running 24 hour light cycle outweigh the added cost to your electricity bill?

• Fuck yeh

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Fuck all

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Fuck knows

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
I think I went through something similar on osa without all the big words.
Basically the plant shuts down even though it's still daytime

So to try make the most of available light try changing your cycle to 6 on 2 off

Again without all bullshit , your plants will love it and you will be utilising more of the amount of light hours available

So instead of using say for example 10 or 12 hrs of your 18 hr cycle , breaking it down will give you 14 to 16 hrs of photosynthesis
You mean 6 on 2 off, 6 on 2 off repeat cycles kinda thing?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Outdoors 😆 Sun comes up. Sun goes down. You don't have to worry about all that shit. You've only got to worry about mould, copper's, grass hoppers, fence hoppers , caterpillars and shit like that 😆 but the Sun is free 👍
Don't forget big storms ripping em limb from limb!! 🤣

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
It's been around for a few years. Since PAR meters got more affordable. I'm not sure the science is settled. My understanding is that if you're using typical PAR levels and the common 18/6 + 12/12 cycles, you're already in the zone.

Another theory worth reading up on, is that the dark hours are important for terpene production. Again, like all things cannabis, there are varying opinions here. But I do know my own plants are more aromatic later in the dark cycle and first thing during lights on. This data just comes from my nose! Consequently, I don't let my lights turn on for 18-24hrs just before harvest. Try sniffing your plants at different times of day, its fun!
Yeah plants always smell more at night or lights out when indoors!!
Almost double I reckon!!
I've seen people going 48h to 72h dark before chop these days!

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Is this why we ramp up our lights during 12/12 to make up for the loss in daylight (artificial) hours and therefore reach the required DLI levels?

Does that make sense or am I sounding batshit crazy??
What ?

No I think the answer to your question is that the plants are photo period , so the plants have developmental responses to light and dark periods

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
What ?

No I think the answer to your question is that the plants are photo period , so the plants have developmental responses to light and dark periods
So batshit crazy huh lol

Thanks for clearing that up but I wasn't asking about photoperiod anything.

Bare with me coz I'm by no means an expert I'm leaning along with many others but what I was asking was If plants require a certain amount of photons in let's say an 18 hour period to attain optimal growth then how do we make up for the loss of hours during bloom and still reach those dli targets

Last edited:

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Is this why we ramp up our lights during 12/12 to make up for the loss in daylight (artificial) hours and therefore reach the required DLI levels?

The little bit i practiced didn't involve any ramping. I guess you could use a ramping technique if you wanted, but there'd be a shitload of calculations and monitoring going with it unless you had and app 'n hardware to do that for you.

But for myself, it was a case of using the Photone app, and use the DLI function. For vegetative cycle you set the app to 18 hours (of light), then with budding/flowering, set the app to 12 hours.

Cant remember the numbers for now, but you lower/raise the grow light and adjust the light brightness to get the desired daily allowance required for Cannabis (on a daily basis).

Last edited:

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
The little bit i practiced didn't involve any ramping. I guess you could use a ramping technique if you wanted, but there'd be a shitload of calculations and monitoring going with it unless you had and app 'n hardware to do that for you.

But for myself, it was a case of using the Photone app, and use the DLI function. For vegetative cycle you set the app to 18 hours (of light), then with budding/flowering, set the app to 12 hours.

Cant remember the numbers for now, but you lower/raise the grow light and adjust the light brightness to get the desired daily allowance required for Cannabis (on a daily basis).
Shit sorry Indy when I said ramp up I meant ramp up to full power when in flower

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
You mean 6 on 2 off, 6 on 2 off repeat cycles kinda thing?

There are diff methods out there, but check out gas lantern routine.

People also use 11/13 for tripical sativas

yeh, DLI is just a representation of the amount of light a plant receives over 24 hours.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
There are diff methods out there, but check out gas lantern routine.

People also use 11/13 for tripical sativas

yeh, DLI is just a representation of the amount of light a plant receives over 24 hours.
Thanks for your input Frank that sounds fascinating I'll be sure to check it out.

Standard methods would have me believe erratic changes like that would lead to stress but as you say it's just a representation of the plants requirements.

Very interesting mate cheers

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Seen some larger commercial growers in the US run 11/13, but that requires high c02 to hit enough DLI with elevated light levels during those 11 hours on. Seems multiple ways to skin a cat

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
To throw another idea in here, I've found that my recent organic soil grown plants seem to prefer lower light intensity than when I did various hydro methods. In soil, I seem to hit light burn at lower intensities. I haven't heard this discussed before, so I'm not sure if hydro can handle more light or it could simply be the strains I've used. I'm promiscuous and grow new strains each time, so it could be a coincidence.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
To throw another idea in here, I've found that my recent organic soil grown plants seem to prefer lower light intensity than when I did various hydro methods. In soil, I seem to hit light burn at lower intensities. I haven't heard this discussed before, so I'm not sure if hydro can handle more light or it could simply be the strains I've used. I'm promiscuous and grow new strains each time, so it could be a coincidence.
Hmm this has been a very informative thread.

I too recently changed to organic foil which has been a pretty steep learning curve or maybe more accurately trying to forget some of the rules for say coco which I was very comfortable with.

I still have some watering issues sometimes like I seem to find there's a fine line between happy and thirsty.. but that's just me.

Or perhaps I'm seeing the same as you are with light sensitivity.

Thanks for your input.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID

Cannabis just like tomotaoes really don't have a cieling in regards to how much light they can use given ample enough c02.

I'd personally be looking into your enviorment/ feed

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Cannabis just like tomotaoes really don't have a cieling in regards to how much light they can use given ample enough c02.

I'd personally be looking into your enviorment/ feed

I don't use CO2, wouldn't work well in my grow. But with CO2 supplement, I bet I could use more light. Always something new to play with!

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Maybe a stupid question about CO2. But with the bits i've read about CO2, apparently it can raise the temperature of a grow area. Now the question being, by how much (if there's any truth to it)?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
A closed system will bump the temps up .with co2 or not.

Top Bottom