Grow room setup. Power usage worries

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Fuck 13k will be his monthly bill running 6x600w šŸ¤£
Try around $900, lol.

Edit: Maybe $1200, depending if this 30% price rise actually happens this financial year.

Here we go, even I fucked up..*

6x 600w @ .30kw over 18 hours a day comes in at $19.44 a day

6x 600w @ .30kw over 12 hours a day comes in at $12.96 a day

And if you're a complete fruitcake..

6x 600w @ .30kw over 24 hours a day comes in at $25.92 a day

That's if you're paying 30 cents a kilowatt.

*A exercise moreso for myself, than others..

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Here we go, even I fucked up..*

6x 600w @ .30kw over 18 hours a day comes in at $19.44 a day

6x 600w @ .30kw over 12 hours a day comes in at $12.96 a day

And if you're a complete fruitcake..

6x 600w @ .30kw over 24 hours a day comes in at $25.92 a day

That's if you're paying 30 cents a kilowatt.

*A exercise moreso for myself, than others..
I would class that as expensive!
Say a grow goes 100 days at 12 hours which is short and we all know you need more light but just at that works out to $1300 a grow on electricity!!

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Say a grow goes 100 days at 12 hours which is short and we all know you need more light but just at that works out to $1300 a grow on electricity!!
That 600w could be anything, it's just a consumption figure. If you were to suggest a LED to replace a 600w in this scenario, what'd you reckon the go light is at the moment, mate?

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Easiest way to get busted

Blackout a Window and put 6 x 600 hps lights on and have extraction going the side of house

She'll be fine

There'll be no medical excuses here ,that's definitely classified as a commercial grow

But hey good luck , just make sure there's nothing to incriminate anyone else ie seeds , forums etc

Or be realistic and listen to the advice freely being given

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Iā€™d spend the money setting up a good outdoor plot you could grow a fair bit of weed on 10 acres.

A few of us grow a fair bit just in the back yard and have a modest indoor setup, in my old space I use to grow 8 pants in a 2.4 x 1.2 tent running about 1100 watts of led and donā€™t be fooled as others have already mentioned if you have a dedicated veg tent you can pump out a or of bud with the right genetics, setup and experience.

Solar system are a good investment to reduce your power bill as well nothing like the sun powering your indoor and outdoor grows šŸ¤£

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I go the 350 diablo from HLG!!
I got 1500w of canabilosed and re-purposed new and old components that I picked up for nicks šŸ˜† I was at a timber yard last year and they were upgrading the high bays and I asked what they were doing with the old ones (240w led) and he said half of wm don't work you can have em for 100 bucks there was 12 and when I tested them all the drivers work so I get heat sinks from China for 16 bucks each and 2 boards off cutter with 404 led on em for 65 each put 2 drivers on them from the old high bays and I've got a 300w led for around 170 bucks. And I picked up a home made 880w bar light running new cree diodes for 300 the guy thought he blew it up wireing it wrong so I tested the drivers and made sure they were working and when I looked at it the DC was running + to + instead of +to - and I rewired it and away she went. The high bay drivers can run cutters boost strips to

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Was looking to get to the eventual goal of having a grow room setup, 6 in flower, 6 in veg. Perpetual harvests. Have done a fair bit of research, but always learning. Was looking to run 6x600watt hid lights, and a another light in the veg room (whatever that may be).
Im worried about the power useage though, this is my main concern 100%. We have recently had a smart meter installed from the power company because we split the power up between the two houses on the block (10 acre property).

I run a carpentry business on my property, which i think could be played off as the power usage during the day. But im worried about the massive jump at arvo/nighttime with an 18 hr light cycle. Im worried that they can track the times where the spikes are, and raising red flags that they will have to report to the police. (Aus).

Any insight to this? Am i thinking to big? My 100% utmost priority is keeping it conspicuous and secret. I dont want anyone to be tipped off that theres a potential red flag in the system. Im smart, never had criminal convictions, drive a bunky car, would live smart and not hard.

Is it possible? Or do i need to step back a bit, put my ego aside and reconsider?
The only time the power company rings the cops is if your bypassing the meter and stealing power.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
For 3600w of light but. Thatā€™s cheap as when you think about how much bud that produces.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I got 1500w of canabilosed and re-purposed new and old components that I picked up for nicks šŸ˜† I was at a timber yard last year and they were upgrading the high bays and I asked what they were doing with the old ones (240w led) and he said half of wm don't work you can have em for 100 bucks there was 12 and when I tested them all the drivers work so I get heat sinks from China for 16 bucks each and 2 boards off cutter with 404 led on em for 65 each put 2 drivers on them from the old high bays and I've got a 300w led for around 170 bucks. And I picked up a home made 880w bar light running new cree diodes for 300 the guy thought he blew it up wireing it wrong so I tested the drivers and made sure they were working and when I looked at it the DC was running + to + instead of +to - and I rewired it and away she went. The high bay drivers can run cutters boost strips to
Yeah but I'm way to lazy for that shit!! šŸ¤£

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Donā€™t think the OP even said how much bud he wants ,,
had he said so there would be some precise info for him..

Indy

Misfit
User ID
On a grow that size the extra 10% isnā€™t worth the initial investment in led imo. the savings on purchase for hids leave you miles infront unless you aiming for multiple grows with the same equipment. A grow that size I want to be able to walk away and leave the gear if need be so cheap hps ftw.
Yeah, i was thinking kind of along similar lines. If OP is a bit of a noob and wanted to go big. HID would be a reasonable outlay to find out if you can actually finish a decent crop, and if they're happy with what they're producing, and want to continue with it. Then make the upgrades (to decent LED's) once you've recouped the initial outlay.

Seen a few go hard 'n fast previously, and not make it..

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Seen a few go hard 'n fast previously, and not make it..
ABSO-FUCKIN-LUTLY
"I's gunna be a drug barron I is..." yea, seen lots of them.

Best advice: Start small and learn the basics. Learn your setup. Then expand.
I've seen people spending thousands for all the best equipment, only for it all to fall in a heap. (I didn't mind I was a recipient of their equipment, so big plus for me :ROFLMAO: ) If you are getting into the game, look at self supply. If you get more, that's a bonus, but goin in with the plan of 600gms or 1g/watt using a 600watt... ...I want whatever you're smoking, 'cos that must be some real gooood shiiit :LOL:

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Mate, we live on property, in acreage. People have live stock, i have a nursery close by. This is a serious question.
My table saw draws 15amps when using it.

I dont came to know anything about grow setups when it comes to power. Hense why im here asking.
If you are serious, I'd spring for solar for your carpentry business. Can't see what you are using, just what you are uploading or taking out of the grid.

Top Bottom