Grow room setup. Power usage worries

J

John jones

Was looking to get to the eventual goal of having a grow room setup, 6 in flower, 6 in veg. Perpetual harvests. Have done a fair bit of research, but always learning. Was looking to run 6x600watt hid lights, and a another light in the veg room (whatever that may be).
Im worried about the power useage though, this is my main concern 100%. We have recently had a smart meter installed from the power company because we split the power up between the two houses on the block (10 acre property).

I run a carpentry business on my property, which i think could be played off as the power usage during the day. But im worried about the massive jump at arvo/nighttime with an 18 hr light cycle. Im worried that they can track the times where the spikes are, and raising red flags that they will have to report to the police. (Aus).

Any insight to this? Am i thinking to big? My 100% utmost priority is keeping it conspicuous and secret. I dont want anyone to be tipped off that theres a potential red flag in the system. Im smart, never had criminal convictions, drive a bunky car, would live smart and not hard.

Is it possible? Or do i need to step back a bit, put my ego aside and reconsider?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Was looking to get to the eventual goal of having a grow room setup, 6 in flower, 6 in veg. Perpetual harvests. Have done a fair bit of research, but always learning. Was looking to run 6x600watt hid lights, and a another light in the veg room (whatever that may be).
Im worried about the power useage though, this is my main concern 100%. We have recently had a smart meter installed from the power company because we split the power up between the two houses on the block (10 acre property).

I run a carpentry business on my property, which i think could be played off as the power usage during the day. But im worried about the massive jump at arvo/nighttime with an 18 hr light cycle. Im worried that they can track the times where the spikes are, and raising red flags that they will have to report to the police. (Aus).

Any insight to this? Am i thinking to big? My 100% utmost priority is keeping it conspicuous and secret. I dont want anyone to be tipped off that theres a potential red flag in the system. Im smart, never had criminal convictions, drive a bunky car, would live smart and not hard.

Is it possible? Or do i need to step back a bit, put my ego aside and reconsider?
Your worried about power and ya want to use 6x600w HIDs!!
Is this a piss take or you just dumb?
Oh I just read the bit about you being smart!! šŸ¤£

J

John jones

What else you supposed to use? The 6x600 = 3600 watts. Use leds? Serious question. Smart in a sense. Know nothing about grow setups when it comes to drawing power.

J

John jones

Mate, we live on property, in acreage. People have live stock, i have a nursery close by. This is a serious question.
My table saw draws 15amps when using it.

I dont came to know anything about grow setups when it comes to power. Hense why im here asking.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
HID the most expensive way to run a gro and if you want multiple lights and hid you'd be better off with 1000watt, either way you be creating a shit ton of heat. So that would mean serious cooling cost$.
A lot of people are fast turning to led for power saving ,good yeild and cooler running.
Intial outlay for quality led High but it would soon pay for itself and make your growing so much easier and cost effective.āœŒļø

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
HID the most expensive way to run a gro and if you want multiple lights and hid you'd be better off with 1000watt, either way you be creating a shit ton of heat. So that would mean serious cooling cost$.
A lot of people are fast turning to led for power saving ,good yeild and cooler running.
Intial outlay for quality led High but it would soon pay for itself and make your growing so much easier and cost effective.āœŒļø
Ahhh spoken like a true turncoat!! šŸ¤£

J

John jones

Don't let paranoia get the better of you 'n try and bypass the meter, that shit could bring you undo, if they care to track it. Just pay your bill, and it's business as usual. (y)
Yeh. No way would i be touching the meter. Instant jail sentence. Want to enjoy my smoke. Make a bit on the side. Live life happily. Might just have to do more research on lights and what would accompdate for 6 plants.

Cheers

J

John jones

Yep so i didnt know that. I was under the impression you needed 1x600 watt per plant to roughly get about 600 gm worth of flower of each plant. But clearly im wrong. Back to researchā€¦
Thanks
Firstly 12 plants don't need 6 hid lights that would be 6M2. I ran 18 in a 2.4Ɨ1.2 and the area your talking you could do about 50 lol

RidingOnwards

Vegetating
User ID
Like others said, I think 6x600w is excessive.
But each to his own, go for your life!

As for power company noticing ..A - your consumption, and B- times of demand, I think your being concerned over nothing.
They are way too busy to chase shit like that unless youā€™re under police investigation, they wonā€™t give a shit as long as you pay bill you will not even appear on the radarā€¦. IMO.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yep so i didnt know that. I was under the impression you needed 1x600 watt per plant to roughly get about 600 gm worth of flower of each plant. But clearly im wrong. Back to researchā€¦
Thanks
You prob struggle getting 1gram per watt under hid unless your a pro. It's not a case of 600w on one plant equals 600g of nug. I used to average around a pound per 600w hid now it's about 1and a 1/4 to 1.5 pound per 600 of led. More equipped grow rooms than mine with better climate control etc would get more. Also my power bill goes up around 350 bucks with about 1600w of lights per 1/4 (until I got solar that was)

J

John jones

Yeh that makes sense for sure. Im just so confused because people still say you cant get as big of a yield from LED. But some peeps might just not understand the newer technology coming out i guess.
You prob struggle getting 1gram per watt under hid unless your a pro. It's not a case of 600w on one plant equals 600g of nug. I used to average around a pound per 600w hid now it's about 1and a 1/4 to 1.5 pound per 600 of led. More equipped grow rooms than mine with better climate control etc would get more. Also my power bill goes up around 350 bucks with about 1600w of lights per 1/4 (until I got solar that was)

Indy

Misfit
User ID
A lot of info missing to give proper opinion into growing style, lights, etc..

But if OP heart is set on 600w HID's. That should do a footprint 2m x 3m optimately. But that could be pushed out to 2.4m x 3.6m maximum.

If this mob had their way. They'd like to see you spend 13k-14k on lighting alone. šŸ˜„

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
A lot of info missing to give proper opinion into growing style, lights, etc..

But if OP heart is set on 600w HID's. That should do a footprint 2m x 3m optimately. But that could be pushed out to 2.4m x 3.6m maximum.

If this mob had their way. They'd like to see you spend 13k-14k on lighting alone. šŸ˜„
Fuck 13k will be his monthly bill running 6x600w šŸ¤£

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Have you grown indoors before? 3600 watt is a lot for personal use.lol. It will cover a large size bedroom (wall to wall). Harvesting 9-10 pounds every 12 weeks in a perpetual grow(supported by veg tent). You're looking at 40 pounds each year. šŸ˜œ Are you using RDWC style? As 6 plants in that space would need to be huge( approx 1.5 pounds each plant). What strain are you growing ? Pay your bill on time, and energy provider won't look twice at your consumption.

Top Bottom