Fishing

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I don't know about policing the drones, but it's commonly known in NSW that Fisheries Officers have MUCH MORE legal powers than even the NSW Police Force. They need the powers to board any vessel "without" a search warrant and to detain anyone who doesn't comply with their lawful directions, suspected of having illegal fish. They can search boats, vehicles, esky, tent, etc, suspected of hiding fish. One of the local LFB boys on private boat refused to let them board his boat, and he told them to fuck off........he copped a $20,000 fine. A few times at sea they drove at speed( approx 30 knots) right up next to my boat, and just yelled out they are boarding the vessel, and they just jump in and search whatever they want. Apparently they have wide ranging legal powers to stop and search just about anyone and anything that might have illegal fish.

Doesnt surprise me... Im more curious about their powers specific to Drone fishing...

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I would think if you are on a fairly remote or quiet beach you would be OK.

You can also get a mate on a surf ski or kayak to take your bait out for you I suppose.

Not as good as a drone with a camera dropping the bait on the head of a tuna though.

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Older drones will be more valuable. All new ones are generaly registered and tracked...
How old? Every DGI flight path is recorded in China from what I understood? I completed my pilot’s license, never sat the CASA exam, and most operators, amateur, semi pro to pro, especially Real Estate operate illegally.
I’d also be surprised if Fisheries staff could ping you for flying beyond line of sight or drone weight, but that’s my opinion, not fact.
Interesting discussion, might dust off the old drone this weekend.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
No blues or blacks out there brother foxtrot echo charlie ?
Or only stripey's in that neck of woods

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
No blues or blacks out there brother foxtrot echo charlie ?
Or only stripey's in that neck of woods
Got a few blacks , but they mainly travel inshore and mostly bypassed us this season, so we target stripes on the shelf when they're in bigger numbers. Only seen 1 blue this year, as we usually stick to top edge of shelf, and they tend to travel a bit wider

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Got a few blacks , but they mainly travel inshore and mostly bypassed us this season, so we target stripes on the shelf when they're in bigger numbers. Only seen 1 blue this year, as we usually stick to top edge of shelf, and they tend to travel a bit wider
Did you say blue ?

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Finally had a decent couple nights fishing when we went away camping, off a jetty.
Swapped from sinkers to floats and 5ft of line with 2x hooks for the first time and voila :). Also running 2 rods by myself.

Nothing big and exciting, but a couple of feeds for me and wife, which is all I want :)

20240322_232005.jpg20240322_000138.jpg

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Finally had a decent couple nights fishing when we went away camping, off a jetty.
Swapped from sinkers to floats and 5ft of line with 2x hooks for the first time and voila :). Also running 2 rods by myself.

Nothing big and exciting, but a couple of feeds for me and wife, which is all I want :)

View attachment 46531View attachment 46532
Looks like some type of red mullet, and a garfish. What's the long one at top of second photo?

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Looks like some type of red mullet, and a garfish. What's the long one at top of second photo?
Australian Herring, call them Tommies here in SA.
No bag limit or size limit for them so lots use them for bait for the bigger fish, but nice eating if there's enough.

Yup 1x Gar and a Snook is the bigger fella at the back.
20240322_000142.jpg

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
That snook was a double header with a Tommy, which is always fun bringing up Multiple fish!
20240321_215443.jpg

Top Bottom