Easy as organics

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
After making a good 15kg of biochar myself I’m surprised people are paying what is being charged online. Fuck it’s easy to make, will probably be making a few hundred kgs over the next few months.
Have U had it tested? Ash content lower than 3% and fixed carbon above 85%? Very hard to get to that quality in a batch process. As a manufacturer, I need consistent, quality supply.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Have U had it tested? Ash content lower than 3% and fixed carbon above 85%? Very hard to get to that quality in a batch process. As a manufacturer, I need consistent, quality supply.
I’m not concerned with any of that. I’m just turning what would have been a bon fire after I’ve harvested all the useable firewood out of it so sticks, small limbs and stumps into something useable.

I’m using a 50l retort currently and getting no ash in my char. But I’m also not producing nor have the desire to produce commercial amounts.

As I said I made 15kg in about 16 hours of burn time and about 2 hours of actual work so can’t understand the prices on line vs people just making their own.

As I’m using Hardwood feed stock I’m also setting up a seperate retort I can cycle the pyrolytic gassed back into the char for making lump charcoal for cooking.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
I’m not concerned with any of that. I’m just turning what would have been a bon fire after I’ve harvested all the useable firewood out of it so sticks, small limbs and stumps into something useable.

I’m using a 50l retort currently and getting no ash in my char. But I’m also not producing nor have the desire to produce commercial amounts.

As I said I made 15kg in about 16 hours of burn time and about 2 hours of actual work so can’t understand the prices on line vs people just making their own.

As I’m using Hardwood feed stock I’m also setting up a seperate retort I can cycle the pyrolytic gassed back into the char for making lump charcoal for cooking.
Sweet. Sounds like you have a good system going. I have a really good paper on biochar here if you're interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tTo_b6a0eXvYfu_2oV0kBQeZ3GdGufVp/view?usp=drivesdk

I guess my main focus is biochar as a horticultural input obviously.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Soooo.... We've replaced a good chunk of the scoria, our aeration input with a thermo-mechanically manufactured wood fibre substrate. It's an awesome and unique material as it's kind of works mix of perlite, peat and coco. Very high air porosity, low bulk density. Weight is reduced by 25% and it's now quite a bit more tolerant to overwatering. Still likes to sit around 110mbar but recovers from overwatering easily.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Soooo.... We've replaced a good chunk of the scoria, our aeration input with a thermo-mechanically manufactured wood fibre substrate. It's an awesome and unique material as it's kind of works mix of perlite, peat and coco. Very high air porosity, low bulk density. Weight is reduced by 25% and it's now quite a bit more tolerant to overwatering. Still likes to sit around 110mbar but recovers from overwatering easily.
Very nice addition! Is it like a flock? I think I recall seeing something like what you are describing used before.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Very nice addition! Is it like a flock? I think I recall seeing something like what you are describing used before.
Yeah it's really fluffy and smells like pine. I was worried it would draw down N but it hasn't... The end product feels more "organic" if that makes sense lol

Used lots in Europe and America now to cut down on peat and perlite. Australian nursery operations are blending it with their peat or Coco substrates too

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID

3combs

Germinating
User ID
This reminded me of years ago, a fella on osa called sukonmiskunk used to run veg oil in his chain saw instead of bar oil. Then he'd gather up the saw dust pile and mix that in his seed raise and clone mixes. Makes sense, breaks down to lignins same as coco.

Top Bottom