Easy as organics

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Sukonmiskunk was good entertainment (in chat), when he was on a roll he'd have you in stitches for hours.. šŸ˜†

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
This reminded me of years ago, a fella on osa called sukonmiskunk used to run veg oil in his chain saw instead of bar oil. Then he'd gather up the saw dust pile and mix that in his seed raise and clone mixes. Makes sense, breaks down to lignins same as coco.
The wood chips are put through a machine that turns it into a fibre, and heat treated. All tannins, lignins and sap is removed.

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
Soooo.... We've replaced a good chunk of the scoria, our aeration input with a thermo-mechanically manufactured wood fibre substrate ...
That will save me having to sift out the scoria for my bean sprouting / seedling pots :LOL: ... wanted them to be in the EAO soil from the start but scoria in the small cups was an issue ... I added a lil bit of perlite into it - just for while they in the small pots before transplanting

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
your not just picking for the sake of picking are you porky :p

wood fibre 4.5 to 5.5 ph
peat moss 3.0 to 4.0 ph
Nah I was genuinely curious.
I was trying to find the natural ph of coco but could only find what it should be watered at!

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
not sure who bob vila is but this popped up on a google search of peat vs coco
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/pe...ypnum type from hypnum,to raise its pH either.

Peat moss is often very acidic, with a pH balance ranging between 3.0 and 4.5. Because of this, manufacturers usually add limestone to it before sale to raise its pH to a point thatā€™s acceptable for most plants. A couple of rarer types of peat have higher pH levels. The hypnum type from hypnum moss varies from 5.0 to 6.5, and the reed type from reeds and sedges runs from 5.0 to 5.5, so those types of peat might not require limestone.

Coco coir is ā€œsweetest,ā€ with a pH between 5.8 and 6.9, so it generally doesnā€™t require the addition of limestone to raise its pH either. However, in some cases, its pH is high enough that repeated waterings with hard water could raise it to harmful levels for many plants.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
not sure who bob vila is but this popped up on a google search of peat vs coco
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/peat-moss-vs-coco-coir/#:~:text=The hypnum type from hypnum,to raise its pH either.

Peat moss is often very acidic, with a pH balance ranging between 3.0 and 4.5. Because of this, manufacturers usually add limestone to it before sale to raise its pH to a point thatā€™s acceptable for most plants. A couple of rarer types of peat have higher pH levels. The hypnum type from hypnum moss varies from 5.0 to 6.5, and the reed type from reeds and sedges runs from 5.0 to 5.5, so those types of peat might not require limestone.

Coco coir is ā€œsweetest,ā€ with a pH between 5.8 and 6.9, so it generally doesnā€™t require the addition of limestone to raise its pH either. However, in some cases, its pH is high enough that repeated waterings with hard water could raise it to harmful levels for many plants.
Cheers sultan!! On point as always mate! šŸ‘
I think the wood product DNG is using is great!
We all know peat is not sustainability harvested and swapping it with a waste product is awesome!!
I was curious if it could be used as a stand alone medium or it could be added to perlite or coco.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
@Kee Mao mentioned this earlier replacing coco with the wood fiber
DNG mentioned it was only sold in bulk which would most likely be overkill for a home grower
other than that not sure what the results would be using it instead of coco in a hydro setup , it does seem similar though

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
DNG mentioned it was only sold in bulk which would most likely be overkill for a home grower
other than that not sure what the results would be using it instead of coco in a hydro setup , it does seem similar though
Like everything if it works in bulk it will be sold to the home grower soon enough!

Yowie2.02318

Blooming
User ID

How much is bulk?

If one person from TSE were to buy this in one " bulk " bag with help from others on TSE then rebag into say 50L or 100L bags and resend on to other TSE member who chipped in so it more suitable for us home growers?

I'd be will to be the one who rebags it all up as I do have a property where I could do it all and resend on down to everyone?

Seems like a good product for my 300L raised box after this plants done as it water logs if I over do it a bit

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
How much is bulk?

If one person from TSE were to buy this in one " bulk " bag with help from others on TSE then rebag into say 50L or 100L bags and resend on to other TSE member who chipped in so it more suitable for us home growers?

I'd be will to be the one who rebags it all up as I do have a property where I could do it all and resend on down to everyone?

Seems like a good product for my 300L raised box after this plants done as it water logs if I over do it a bit
https://www.agsolutions.net.au/growfibre
There is a product list,but no prices in there somewhere

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
How much is bulk?

A trial of it first might be a good idea before buying a pallet

R3za92

Baked
User ID
How much is bulk?

Worth investing in a press, make postage heaps cheaper getting rid of all the air. Thatā€™s why the cubic metre weighs so much.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
@R3za92 in that PDF link , i didn't go through & read it thoroughly but the tables at the end , the thing that stood out to me was the Brix readings , they seemed generally really low , but as i said i only glanced through & those brix numbers might represent something completely different to what i'm assuming they mean

What is a good Brix level?

For most plants, the rule of thumb is that a value of 10 or lower may point to a nutrient deficiency. A Brix value of 12 or higher indicates a healthy plant.

Top Bottom