Easy as organics

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'd love to get to the water only stage but so far I've still needed a weekly feed of canna bio from the third week of flower. I've noticed if I don't start to feed around then, it always looks like a potassium issue. Burn on the tips and a few burned serrations with yellowing, but only on the top leaves. Further down the plant the better it gets leading me to believe it might be a transport issue.

I don't know what the allure is as it's just as much work, but just done well before I plant rather than during.

Plants look absolutely lovely by the way.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
There will be next cycle for sure. There will also be hard data around terpene numbers and profile which will help validate quality metrics around living soil / organic cannabis vs conventional hydroponic. Rather than me just making claims!

ohh yes. Should have thought about that too. I am a believer that the taste is different in living soil. Welcome some scientific evidence to support this ;)

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
I'd love to get to the water only stage but so far I've still needed a weekly feed of canna bio from the third week of flower. I've noticed if I don't start to feed around then, it always looks like a potassium issue. Burn on the tips and a few burned serrations with yellowing, but only on the top leaves. Further down the plant the better it gets leading me to believe it might be a transport issue.

I don't know what the allure is as it's just as much work, but just done well before I plant rather than during.

Plants look absolutely lovely by the way.
What size pots and type of media are you using?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
What size pots and type of media are you using?
I'm using tiny pots for a semi living soil which is the main issue. I'm talking like 15-30L. But then again I'm growing tiny plants (60-90cm on average).

My medium is pretty basic too. Last lot was peat moss, organic compost and perlite (40:40:20) with a mix of rock dust (lime, palagonite, azomite and oyster shell flour) and some meal amendments. Neem, kelp, alfalfa, coconut, soybean and barley. I haven't included anything npk heavy so far (ie blood/bone meal or potash).

I'll mix up about 50L which will receive about 1.5 cups rock dust and 2/3 cup of each amendment bar kelp and soybean which will receive a bit less, and coconut meal which gets a bit more as it's light and fluffy. Usually cooks for 3 or so weeks. Heats up quick and gets a lot of strange colonies so I figured the cook works but I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to organics.

The base fertilizer is a cheap 3:1:3 organic with 12% Ca, 11% S and 9% humic acids of which I'll throw 1 heaped tbsp in each pot at potting as top dress. Apparently 8 weeks feed. I'm guessing my issue is not topping up the organics/top dress before flower and having to rely on supplemental canna bio once a week.

I shouldn't really complain about a weekly feed from week 6-7 in pots that size to begin with.

I'm not using any teas or microbe stimulants/inoculation as I'm in shared uni accommodation, and on carpet. Smelly, dark liquids are out of the question unless it's the usual 4ml/l bio once a week.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Sounds good, but you're right, definitely can't grow a full crop without supplemental nutrition in small pots like that... sounds like it's a pretty light mix too, probably wouldn't hurt to increase the amount of nutrients you're adding up front. You don't have to use canna nutrients, U can use dry amendments as a topdress worked into the soil a little once a week for a few weeks after the plants get big. Apply worm castings too. They have zero smell and will bring super beneficial microbes and plant available nutrients into the mix.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Sounds good, but you're right, definitely can't grow a full crop without supplemental nutrition in small pots like that... sounds like it's a pretty light mix too, probably wouldn't hurt to increase the amount of nutrients you're adding up front. You don't have to use canna nutrients, U can use dry amendments as a topdress worked into the soil a little once a week for a few weeks after the plants get big. Apply worm castings too. They have zero smell and will bring super beneficial microbes and plant available nutrients into the mix.
I have to remember to leave more room for top dress tbh. I haven't used castings lately as my personal supplier stopped composting which sucks. I skipped the dry castings from Bunnings.

Still getting used to living mixes and it already felt like I was adding so much visually as the amendments are much lighter. My previous super soil mixes outdoors were more blood/bone, potash and soft phosphate based which were much more npk heavy at the end of the day. I guess I'm not making up for that anywhere near enough with the amendments, and might add a bit of blood/bone and granular potash to the mix.

I'm out of the canna and will be using maxicrop organic as a base feed as I picked up the 250ml bottle if canna Flores for $15 a while back out if curiosity. I've got a bottle of the maxicrop organic, and the usual powerfeed purple which is as fancy as I'm willing to go.

In reality though, I probably don't need to overthink the whole process as much as I am as it's just a personal hobby and smoke fur my family. Its not exactly killing me adding liquid feed once a week.

This time round I've got CTP as a base medium, will be adding some rice hulls and some amendments and doing a quick cook. From the bag for seedlings and then amended for flower.

Last edited:

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I've found insect frass, neem meal and black rock dust help out a lot
I've heard nothing but good things about frass. My next step is going on a hunt for a new local vermicomposter and tracking down some frass to add to my shameful collection. Even more shameful when you check the plants all this fuss is actually producing lol.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
I've heard nothing but good things about frass. My next step is going on a hunt for a new local vermicomposter and tracking down some frass to add to my shameful collection. Even more shameful when you check the plants all this fuss is actually producing lol.
It's an awesome source of slow release N, chitin as well as a huge spectrum of microbes... lots of fungi

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
I'm using tiny pots for a semi living soil which is the main issue. I'm talking like 15-30L. But then again I'm growing tiny plants (60-90cm on average).
Nice , compact cupla okka s each , perfect
My medium is pretty basic too. Last lot was peat moss, organic compost and perlite (40:40:20) with a mix of rock dust (lime, palagonite, azomite and oyster shell flour) and some meal amendments. Neem, kelp, alfalfa, coconut, soybean and barley. I haven't included anything npk heavy so far (ie blood/bone meal or potash).

I'll mix up about 50L which will receive about 1.5 cups rock dust and 2/3 cup of each amendment bar kelp and soybean which will receive a bit less, and coconut meal which gets a bit more as it's light and fluffy. Usually cooks for 3 or so weeks. Heats up quick and gets a lot of strange colonies so I figured the cook works but I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to organics.

The base fertilizer is a cheap 3:1:3 organic with 12% Ca, 11% S and 9% humic acids of which I'll throw 1 heaped tbsp in each pot at potting as top dress. Apparently 8 weeks feed. I'm guessing my issue is not topping up the organics/top dress before flower and having to rely on supplemental canna bio once a week.

I shouldn't really complain about a weekly feed from week 6-7 in pots that size to begin with.

I'm not using any teas or microbe stimulants/inoculation as I'm in shared uni accommodation, and on carpet. Smelly, dark liquids are out of the question unless it's the usual 4ml/l bio once a week.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Some more plant pics at Cannatrek. Next cycle will be way better dude to hiring an awesome grower with a solid background in soil science. But it's looking nice!

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20231005_162041.jpg
    IMG_20231005_162041.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231005_131532.jpg
    IMG_20231005_131532.jpg