Easy as organics water only soil mix.

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
That mulch looks like nothing but trouble. Over watered, all the signs are there. Growth seriously impacted bro.

Super soils can be a tad hot and excess watering can result in fungal/bacterial issues in the root zone. Any zeolite or perlite in your mix. I like zeolite, increases CEC.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
No, no perlite or anything in it. It seems, I was actually under watering them, and some of the soil went hydrophobic. All re potted now in the final pots, unless they are male, and they seem to be doing much better. I chopped the mulch up properly and it doesn't look quite as shithouse. Check my growlog man for newer pics.

That mulch looks like nothing but trouble. Over watered, all the signs are there. Growth seriously impacted bro.

Super soils can be a tad hot and excess watering can result in fungal/bacterial issues in the root zone. Any zeolite or perlite in your mix. I like zeolite, increases CEC.

Michael J Foxtail

The botrytis bin possum
User ID
My seedlings are in the easy as water only mix, and a few are moving along, with a couple being really slow. Been growing since 1st of April for ease of memory, some a day or 2 before, a couple a day after. And 2 zskittles one a week old, 1 a day old.

The growth is pretty slow compared to coco and nutes.

Am I doing something wrong? Getting 18 /6 of 600w hps. The light is about 600-700mm above the plants.

Someone suggested root droids from Dr green thumb, but easy as says no amendments needed.
Bought some of this from local shop as a lazy problem solver thinking I won't have to worry about anything.....
Repotted em put back in tent nec morning they in lockout and at the start of their not so good almost deadly acid trip. Checked pH it was well under 3 straight out the bag.
Not happy! They were the only 2 Critical 2.0 cuts left and were already a week turned. Have now lost strain.
'Easy as' a root at a convent!
1 month later and are finally coming back to life

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
It's the same with any organic based potting mix, how long it's been sitting on the shelf can have a large impact on it's performance. Same things with bags on the shelf at bunnings. Nutrient leech and general breakdown from sitting there.

Probably a large reason people have such bad times with bunnings bought pottings mixes and why i always finger the bags :)

Michael J Foxtail

The botrytis bin possum
User ID
It's the same with any organic based potting mix, how long it's been sitting on the shelf can have a large impact on it's performance. Same things with bags on the shelf at bunnings. Nutrient leech and general breakdown from sitting there.

Probably a large reason people have such bad times with bunnings bought pottings mixes and why i always finger the bags :)
I hate to say it but have checked every bag from bunnings for this reason and always 6 or there abouts and these aren't called Easy as. I didn't check this thinking it would be fine. Only got myself and Easy as to blame

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID

Interesting, what sort of shelf life would you expect Frank?

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
Easy as does tell you to water the dirt mix a few times before planting in it. Get it activated so to speak.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Largely depend on ingredients and conditions there exposed to, I check the bags that i buy make sure the structure is there and that is hasn't broken down too much (as that will lead to ph dropping) and it's not too wet (if it's been outside) or too dried out.

Other than that I've jsut stuck to same brand over the years which is made consistantly.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Largely depend on ingredients and conditions there exposed to, I check the bags that i buy make sure the structure is there and that is hasn't broken down too much (as that will lead to ph dropping) and it's not too wet (if it's been outside) or too dried out.

Other than that I've jsut stuck to same brand over the years which is made consistantly.

So in a typical coots type living soil mix, the only ingredient that would be "alive" would be the compost component, yeah?

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
No idea what coots type is, but all of these supoer soil mixes are organic based, they aren't soils. Organic components break down over time. Compost you add to the soil takes about 3 months before it will be majority gone.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
No idea what coots type is, but all of these supoer soil mixes are organic based, they aren't soils. Organic components break down over time. Compost you add to the soil takes about 3 months before it will be majority gone.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Yeh they will need to break down in order for the nutrients to become available. Rice hulls will break down slowly over time as well affecting the amount of air in the mixture as well if they are used.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Yeh they will need to break down in order for the nutrients to become available. Rice hulls will break down slowly over time as well affecting the amount of air in the mixture as well if they are used.

ok, I mean when not in a mix. Will a bag of pure rice hulks break down over time?

Top Bottom