DIY- lost coast plant therapy

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
So I made some…. But….
I shake it and it separates only after about 10-15sec…
Wrong soap ?
I just used some Castile soap as it was potassium based rather than sodium…
never made this concoction myself but i have used soapnuts ( saponins ) to emulsify oils before , potassium silicate will also emulsify oils
maybe try replacing your Castile soap with a DIY soapnut extract of saponins , you can buy soap nuts here , can also use soap nuts for lots of other uses round the house https://soapnuts.net.au/

do a google search on " Saponins an effective insecticide " should find a bit of reading material
Ps never tried the d-limonene thing mentioned at the bottom

copy & paste from grasscity
Soap Nut Tea
Soap nuts contain high amounts of saponins. saponins can be used to emulsify oil but also can be added to a drench or a standalone soap nut tea.
Saponins are also an effective insecticide so it would be beneficial to add it to your IPM routine.

take a handful (about 20-25 half shells) and stick them down the neck of a 1 gallon Arizona Tea jug. I run hot tap water over them to fill the jug and let them steep overnight. I add a cup of the this "concentrate" to a watering can and water over the Blumats.

You don't need to be exact IME, I've over done it and probably underdone it too but have never noticed any negative effects. You can also use it in foliars to emulsify neem/karanja.

Another new trick I learned from Coot a couple of weeks ago is to use limonene to emulsify neem oil much like potassium silicate. A couple drops in a shot glass mixed up and it emulsifies it for spraying plus you get a contact insecticide along with the benefits of neem and karanja.

An 8oz bottle of food grade d-limonene on Amazon is $14.99 and you can also use pure orange essential oil.

Top Bottom