Digitals vs magnetic. Test results.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
Nice Coops!

Interesting to see how your test goes with the different ballasts. I run an old mag ballast with no issues so far. *Touch Wood*

Yeah it is painful to take a photo with mag ballasts and potato cameras, this is my current situation. Cant exactly go out an buy a new phone or camera at the moment. Lockdown life :D

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
What is the best 600w hps globe for flower? I would like a new globe after this run, I think the growlush is already not as bright, and was leaning toward the gavita. Or are the Phillips better again?

But I am asking what spectrum really.

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
Yeah, I assumed that going from a bit of Google research. Was just after some real world knowledge, from people who have used several different higher end globes.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
I started off with the phillips son - t but moves over to gavitas before i stopped growing on advice, i picked up another gavita when I started again but I don't remember noticing a difference., i as cooper said i think either would be miles ahead of the growlush

D

Deleted member cpr

I use Lucalox 600w for tent and the lucalox 600w400v for my box .done a few grows with gravita in the box and think the lucalox suits me better,,either are good.
Those 400v kits are fancy HPS. The ballasts are a lot more expensive anyway. My local didn't have any when I got my ballasts.

So you rate them over the standard digitals?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Mines a single ended globe ,,,running off a lumatec ballast..

Never done a side by side but I know my grows enough to be confident that the 400 V is a better setup than normal digital ballast ,,cost a little more for the globes but .

Even with the gravit8 240 v ballast the normal lucalox globe does better than the cheapo globes ,,going on my observations,,,and yield.

D

Deleted member cpr

Im taking down my plants now and there is definately heaps more plant matter this run. Perhaps I can thank the ballasts for the increase? It's hard to say because I've made lots of little improvements here and there.

The digi ballast that I've had in my veg tent has decided that it doesn't need to turn on every time the timer tells it to :mad: so I'm leaving on for 24 hrs a day.

JHerer

Germinating
User ID
Nothing wrong with magnetic, you know they are super simple to fix if anything goes wrong.

The stripes in the photos - well, thats due to the 50Hz flicker (Electronic ballasts are much higher frequency) However - CMH bulbs require low frequency electronic ballasts which are really expensive (or they eat their electrodes super fast) - OR you run a CMH bulb on a magnetic ballast - and there are 400W and 600W CMH bulbs that work directly on mag ballasts.

Efficiency wise, electronic is better at the wall, but light output wise - no difference. Its the same output power.

vostok

Blooming
User ID
years back you could build hps lights in kits ...and cheap as chips they were
the yt vid above is mostly spam but offers some insight on how simple to build and repair they are

I confess I'm struggling to switch to leds as they seem to update weekly as bad as any windows 11
and hps are just so reliable and cheap, but Im looking

vostok

Blooming
User ID
in the same boot I am, but stick in the digital all I get is static on the radio, so back to the old ballast, I know I can wrap the flex in kitchen foil but why bother?

Top Bottom