Digitals vs magnetic. Test results.

D

Deleted member cpr

Hi peop's

I've just switched out my 40 year old tech for 20 year old tech. That's right I've bitten the bullet and invested in some 600w HPS digital ballasts to replace my old magnetic 600w HPS's. The idea was to get more light with less power.

Being a twat, i tested the new ballasts against the old ballasts with the same globes with the lux meter.

Basic results (tested at same spot in canopy)

Magnetics = 60k lux
Digitals = 60k lux

Hmmmm. Both the digital and magnetic ballasts state that they run at 3 amps at 240v.

As I see it there is no real gain, but my globes are sun masters, not special digital ones and they are currently doing their last run before I switch them out.

Just sharing stuff.

Any thoughts

Old
20200324_202914.jpg

New
20200324_172424.jpg

Local shop didn't have 4 the same lol

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Fuck that first pic looks like something from the 50s. 😂😂😂
Still working but. Goes to show things used to be made to last not this planned obsolescence all the cunts do these days.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Interesting. Never seen that style mag ballast before! I got rid of mine when i discovered one of them had melted the plastic plug and was close to starting a fire... but agree with Pedro they are more reliable.

I cannot actually remember which it was, but my lucius kept cutting out. only noticed as there was no glow coming from under the door at lights on. digital ballast shuts down when it gets too hot or detects too much draw (one of those reasons)... The old mag ballast never stops!

Probably a good thing having a few different brands, you can see which is most reliable over time.

Have you decided which bulbs you are going to change to?

D

Deleted member cpr

IDK @Gazza The ones i posted were ultra budget units from hydro experts.

Here's a though. Don't mag ballasts use heaps of amps on startup, whereas digitals soft start, means you can run more ballasts on one circuit without tripping fuses. That's gotta be beneficial.

Top Bottom