CX Tanlin drops (for gnats)

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I had a gnat problem which was spiralling out of hand fast and found this product online. I tried the mosquito dunk method 3 times prior to buying these drops and it had no effect at all. Had a few weeks before flip to deal with them before it turned into a full blown infestation. Basically used a shock dose of a drop per litre, then tapered down over the next waterings to the labels recommended dosage. It took around 2 weeks to really see a difference in numbers so it's not an instant remedy but fast forward to now completely free of gnats. It's an extract of chitin (found in shellfish and insect exoskeletons) so it's organic which is good and for some reason the gnats can't stand it. After researching online, chitin also appears to add more resin to plants too which is also a bonus. The only negative thing is the price at around $45 but should still last a good while..

A good read on the benefits here https://www.maximumyield.com/supercharge-your-cannabis-garden-with-chitosan/2/18142

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Good find buddy, been using insect frass 4 a while now
Your right about the price but if it helps with the sticky icky then worth it
Have never really had a prob with gnats, maybe that's why
Yeah I got them all over here, always see them outside especially around the blocked stormwater drainpipe.. normally can get away with the first half of veg but once I repot into final containers I will get a couple that find their way in.. Then come flower I don't really let my coco dry out so the little suckers get on top of it pretty fast. I'm just happy I got rid of them for now🦟🦵

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Those little cunts are the pits.

And don't get me started on the sticky traps.. and the joy one feels when unexpectedly slapped in the face by one.

Then the excitement of having to perform a sticky trap hair removal process on yourself is simply shithouse.

I too went looking for a method to systematically remove them like you would any type of termite or roach and it's not easy and definitely not cheap.

The owner of my local told me one day to try this stuff which he wouldn't name and also which he was suspiciously vague and secretive about but he assured me it'd sort out my gnat problem for the next few months after which you repeat the application.

And since I don't have a name for it I'll attempt to describe it.

Very small amounts (60grams) of small brown granules in a small white tub which cost a small fortune which made my small wallet feel even smaller.

Credit where credit is due, it worked pretty well for 6 to 8 weeks and then I'd be back to buy more of this bloody expensive mystery product.

Now I had my suspicions about what this mystery product was and my initial thoughts were it's diatenacious soil but wasn't sure and definitely didn't want to cause offence to my local so said no more but shopped around for options and what I found was a wholesale stock feed supplier whom sold 1kg bags of diatenacious soil in a much finer food grade formula for $12 !!

There's many uses for diatenacious soil and amongst many but not limited to being beneficial to live stock and domestic animals, it's a fantastic pest deterrent.

And when he said something along the lines of "mate this stuff will get under their exoskeletal body and rip em apart from the inside out" I was sold and haven't looked back at those tiny containers of tiny granules of hugely expensive whatevers.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID

And don't get me started on the sticky traps.. and the joy one feels when unexpectedly slapped in the face by one.

Then the excitement of having to perform a sticky trap hair removal process on yourself is simply shithouse.

I too went looking for a method to systematically remove them like you would any type of termite or roach and it's not easy and definitely not cheap.

The owner of my local told me one day to try this stuff which he wouldn't name and also which he was suspiciously vague and secretive about but he assured me it'd sort out my gnat problem for the next few months after which you repeat the application.

Very small amounts (60grams) of small brown granules in a small white tub which cost a small fortune which made my small wallet feel even smaller.

Credit where credit is due, it worked pretty well for 6 to 8 weeks and then I'd be back to buy more of this bloody expensive mystery product.

Now I had my suspicions about what this mystery product was and my initial thoughts were it's diatenacious soil but wasn't sure and definitely didn't want to cause offence to my local so said no more but shopped around for options and what I found was a wholesale stock feed supplier whom sold 1kg bags of diatenacious soil in a much finer food grade formula for $12 !!

There's many uses for diatenacious soil and amongst many but not limited to being beneficial to live stock and domestic animals, it's a fantastic pest deterrent.

And when he said something along the lines of "mate this stuff will get under their exoskeletal body and rip em apart from the inside out" I was sold and haven't looked back at those tiny containers of tiny granules of hugely expensive whatevers.
Yeah those sticky traps didn't really work for me also, I managed to catch 4 of them but that was over a month after setting it up haha.. maybe if I covered everything with them it would be more effective

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID

Are you just spreading around the tops of the pots?

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
sticky traps shouldn't be used as a pest repellent or pesticide so to speak
they should be used as a pest advisory card , if you see anything stuck to the card , you ID the pest & act accordingly " Now " b4 it gets out of hand , would also help if you have a IPM plan in place b4 starting a grow which yellow sticky cards would be part of that plan

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I found a biological control on Ebay called Gnatural. Works well and I just put a big pinch in my waterings when the little bastards get too much. Looks like you can buy it from online Hydro stores nowadays....

1690853343856.png

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I found a biological control on Ebay called Gnatural. Works well and I just put a big pinch in my waterings when the little bastards get too much. Looks like you can buy it from online Hydro stores nowadays....

View attachment 37278
Is it the same as mosquito bits? I could be wrong but it looks like Bacillus Thuringiensis mosquito bits/dunks which like gnatural kills the larvae but not the adults

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230801-123626.png
    Screenshot_20230801-123626.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 5

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I'm not real sure, I couldn't find a lot of info. But it does seem to work. 2-3 applications on a moderate infestation. I'm starting to use it pre-emptively once a month to minimize the little buggers.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
This is BTI it's the same bacteria that's on the mosquito dunks but alot easier to use A. Because you don't have to soak it to get it off the dunks and B you can load it up if really infested I use this tanlin and neem oil so the little cunts can't build up immunity to one product. Well they can't really get immune to BTI it crawls in their arse and eats them inside out

View attachment 37278

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
This is BTI it's the same bacteria that's on the mosquito dunks but alot easier to use A. Because you don't have to soak it to get it off the dunks and B you can load it up if really infested I use this tanlin and neem oil so the little cunts can't build up immunity to one product. Well they can't really get immune to BTI it crawls in their arse and eats them inside out
Haha what a great explanation 😂, I think I got a bad batch of the dunks but I will just keep using them mixed with tanlin when they rear their heads again, should work well together hopefully

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Y
Haha what a great explanation 😂, I think I got a bad batch of the dunks but I will just keep using them mixed with tanlin when they rear their heads again, should work well together hopefully
Problem with the dunks you need to soak them for about 3 hours to get all the BTI off. The gnatural is just BTI powder and is far more effective than the dunks. Especially when you have a lot of plants you can mix more right there and then

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Y

Problem with the dunks you need to soak them for about 3 hours to get all the BTI off. The gnatural is just BTI powder and is far more effective than the dunks. Especially when you have a lot of plants you can mix more right there and then
Yeah would soak them overnight, like 4 tablespoons of it, and watered every few days like they say to do to break the cycle of the larvae but just never worked for me. Good to know gnatural is not the corn bits. A few runs ago i even sprinkled the bits over the Coco (as recommended online) and the gnat larvae just feasted on them so will never try that again 😆

Hudo

Baked
User ID
They also love potatoes cut a few and place them all over your medium with cut side down and wait about 4- 6 hours and pull them out and the gnats will be on the potatoes then spray em with flyspray to kill them and chuck em out

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Yeah those sticky traps didn't really work for me also, I managed to catch 4 of them but that was over a month after setting it up haha.. maybe if I covered everything with them it would be more effective
If I'm in a revengeful mood I zap the little cunts with my electric tennis racket fly zapper thing 😄 it provides a level of satisfaction which can't be achieved with subtle pest control.

When you hear that crack and fizzle you know you got one real good 😊

Top Bottom