Chillies & tomato’s

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Very nice @Gazza . That looks like it was a lot of hard work. I bet she pays off... can't wait to see those ..... tomatoes....
Been putting it off for ages, glad it’s done I’ll let that sit for a month before I plant into it.

Timing should be pretty good chillies and tomato’s are pumping along nicely now, should be a nice cover crop.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Stevil

Germinating
User ID
Some photos below of a few of my chilli plants. I have about 16 varieties.

First pic bhut jolikia peach
Second 7 pot chocolate
Third purple bhut wreker
Last Death spiral

Attachments

• 20221025_180609.jpg
    20221025_180609.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221025_180550.jpg
    20221025_180550.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221025_180452.jpg
    20221025_180452.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221025_180432.jpg
    20221025_180432.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
I haven’t ordered from these guys as yet but have been planning to. They look to have a huge range of chillies and also sauces too. Plenty there I wouldn’t mind trying.. They have some pretty funny YouTube taste tests in some of the descriptions too 🌶🌶

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Here's my contribution, a low budget, low effort process. For some reason, there's a local variety Bird's-eye that grows wild around here. And after witnessing a Crow once, strip bare a small bush within 5 minutes, i think i have a good idea to why it grows as a wild bush in these parts.

The only task i have is to harvest a chilli bush when the majority of them are a bright red. From there, they're kept in a colender on the kitchen bench to air dry (and tossed daily) over a couple of months. Well, that was the usual process in drier, less humid times. But since La Nina the last couple of season's, it seems to take around 6 months to dry properly. If this keeps up, i'll have to go back to drying them via the old brown paper bag routine.

Yet to sift out the bad ones..

lclchllbsh.jpg

I did have a crack with some Carolina Reaper's two season's back. But they only got to seedlings before stalling, and go toes up a couple of weeks later. 🤔

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
So the crows are eating the chillies and spreading the seed?

Guess you’ll eat anything if your hungry enough, I think crows are smarter than magpies for the reason the crows are usually eating magpie roadkill out here.

Did also have this piece of fabric cloth tied around a fence post, this crow pecked it for days on end seen him fly off with it eventually had no idea what the fuck he was doing, until he got it must of wanted for a nest.

I did have a a good reaper plant going 2 or 3 years ago and something ate it like stripped it back to stems can’t say I’ve had much luck with reaper plants.

No issues with bird chillies, Thai chillies and the standard kind of varieties.

My old man had a good plant going for a few years, was strange some chillies as mild as capsicum and the one next to it would blow your head off like full intense acid burn no idea what that one was, I’ll ask him when I see him.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
So the crows are eating the chillies and spreading the seed?

I'm guessing so. When I dropped a blue gum once i was having a blow. As it was, at the base of the stump there was this small bird's-eye bush. No sooner I sat down, this crow drops in and starts smashing this bush. What really blew me away, I was sitting no more than six foot away, and cheeky bugga scoffed them all in no time.

Just watching him/her smash them back made me cringe with the thought of that many fresh chillies going through his internals, lol. I'd say he thought he was getting in before I cut the chilli bush down as well.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Could u dry chillies in dehydrater Indy?
i'd imagine that would be the preferred method, mate. Though i've never had a food dehydrator before. As it is, i only got me first dehumidifier just this year. But yeah, those two other methods is all ive ever bothered with.

My neighbour put me onto a good tip. He harvests and dries them out as well (unsure of his method). But once dried, he chops them up a bit 'n mixes them in with his rock salt, then puts that into a salt grinder. For which he then uses on various meals. Something i want to try myself with some of these.

durban kid

Blooming
User ID
Here's my contribution, a low budget, low effort process. For some reason, there's a local variety Bird's-eye that grows wild around here. And after witnessing a Crow once, strip bare a small bush within 5 minutes, i think i have a good idea to why it grows as a wild bush in these parts.

The only task i have is to harvest a chilli bush when the majority of them are a bright red. From there, they're kept in a colender on the kitchen bench to air dry (and tossed daily) over a couple of months. Well, that was the usual process in drier, less humid times. But since La Nina the last couple of season's, it seems to take around 6 months to dry properly. If this keeps up, i'll have to go back to drying them via the old brown paper bag routine.

Yet to sift out the bad ones..

View attachment 26932

I did have a crack with some Carolina Reaper's two season's back. But they only got to seedlings before stalling, and go toes up a couple of weeks later. 🤔
i love the birds eye its hot but not mind killing hot and works well in food and down here in the lower south east south aus the super hots struggle but the birdseye bush from last year survived all winter outside and is now coming back as we speak tough stuff

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Compost bin is back on action, been slack as fuck with it for ages, had a good clean up and a mow so got the layers in there.

First layer 4 inches sticks and twigs

Second layer 4 inches brown leaves

Third layer 3 inches lawn clippings

Fourth layer 5 inches brown leaves

Fifth layer cardboard, newspaper food scraps

Sixth layer lawn clippings

Seventh layer straw/hay brown leavesimage.jpg92393C95-8670-4B36-8341-D744E6F7D1EA.jpeg

I dumped about 20 liters of water on top of the pile, will give it a good turn in a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom