Cal/Mag Products.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
G,Day, VinDeezle: Yes i understand that Photo`s and Auto`s function the same metabolically , consequently, they don`t need any special nutrient requirements , only less of them, in some cases much less. Most breeders of Autoflowers say there is around 20% of the Ruderalis Gene , which is the Gene responsible for the Autoflowering trait, in most Auto`s. Genetically, i would say that is a significant amount. You have grown many Autoflowers in many different ways and you haven`t needed any special Autoflower specific treatment at all. That`s good, i would expect much the same. So what your saying is, use a reputable brand of Coco , as far as i know Cyco Coco is a reputable brand of Coco, go straight from bag to pot, germinate seeds in said pot and away we go! Bearing in mind that there is 800ppm of salts in that pot ? What am i missing here ? Do you grow Auto`s in Coco straight from the bag , without any ,as you say, flushing and sacrificial rituals ? What Coco do you use,i would very much like to dispense with all the flushing etc, etc, that would make my life somewhat easier. Thanks for your input VinDeezle: much appreciated... Possum.
I've used pinegro, canna and cyco coco from the bag in the past but i'm growing in either CTP or my own organic mixes for the time being. I stopped checking the initial runoff, or runoff in general (unless there was an obvious issue) with most cocos as every bag was incredibly different from the get-go and took a while to balance out and become reliable unless I was to flush each and every one and check every time. It never had any effect on the plants at the end of the day as long as I checked what went in. I was chasing initial runoff numbers for a while really and just figured most of it was the buffer washing out. I've had canna coco come out of the bag with an EC of 2.5 and some pinegro come out close to 4 and had no issues which was crazy, and I've had both bags come out under 1 with no discernable difference to the plants with an input of 1.0 EC/pH 6.

I've had some autos that were insane feeders, and others that went 6-8 weeks off a basic potting mix so I just listen to the plant in general. Brother, if it works it works in that regard, so I'd just stick with your routine. I was more hinting that feed should be based on the plant's metabolism, not whether it has any auto genes or not as there's always so much variation plant by plant.

The percentage in each strain changes with breeder too, for example some of the sweet seeds autos here have 2-3% ruderalis, others from synergy Auto were around 10% and some of crop kings for example are as high as 30%. I try stick with autos that have a smaller percentage of ruderalis for no real reason tbh.

Your routine sounds pretty simple, I just assumed that you were only feeding less and flushing the coco specifically due to them being autos but if you just like a clean coco to start with that's no issues at all. Its half half with me mates. Half wash all their coco and check runoff religiously, half don't check any runoff EC/ph levels before planting or while growing and all end up with nice plants if they watch their input.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
G,Day, so what your saying is i am stuffing up the Coco before i even begin ? O.K. Yes i do believe Auto`s need less e.c to grow,and yes i am aware i do not need a 0e.c medium for seeds. So ,What i am going to do is, take my Coco straight from the bag, put it in the pot, ( and i promise not to perform any rituals, maybe just one sacrificial chook.) i will plant my seeds and wait for the magic to happen. Hellaluya i am saved......Thanks fellas........Possum.
I don't think you'd necessarily be "ruining" your coco even if you flushed it out, it would just tighten the margin for Ca/Mg deficiency due to the interaction with potassium. As long as you are providing adequate Ca and Mg with the base feed (which most have) the cation exchange process should regulate itself.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
G,Day, so what your saying is i am stuffing up the Coco before i even begin ? O.K. Yes i do believe Auto`s need less e.c to grow,and yes i am aware i do not need a 0e.c medium for seeds. So ,What i am going to do is, take my Coco straight from the bag, put it in the pot, ( and i promise not to perform any rituals, maybe just one sacrificial chook.) i will plant my seeds and wait for the magic to happen. Hellaluya i am saved......Thanks fellas........Possum.
That is what i would reccomend with a half dose of whichever hydroponic two part nutrient you use.

possum

Germinating
User ID
I've used pinegro, canna and cyco coco from the bag in the past but i'm growing in either CTP or my own organic mixes for the time being. I stopped checking the initial runoff, or runoff in general (unless there was an obvious issue) with most cocos as every bag was incredibly different from the get-go and took a while to balance out and become reliable unless I was to flush each and every one and check every time. It never had any effect on the plants at the end of the day as long as I checked what went in. I was chasing initial runoff numbers for a while really and just figured most of it was the buffer washing out. I've had canna coco come out of the bag with an EC of 2.5 and some pinegro come out close to 4 and had no issues which was crazy, and I've had both bags come out under 1 with no discernable difference to the plants with an input of 1.0 EC/pH 6.

I've had some autos that were insane feeders, and others that went 6-8 weeks off a basic potting mix so I just listen to the plant in general. Brother, if it works it works in that regard, so I'd just stick with your routine. I was more hinting that feed should be based on the plant's metabolism, not whether it has any auto genes or not as there's always so much variation plant by plant.

The percentage in each strain changes with breeder too, for example some of the sweet seeds autos here have 2-3% ruderalis, others from synergy Auto were around 10% and some of crop kings for example are as high as 30%. I try stick with autos that have a smaller percentage of ruderalis for no real reason tbh.

Your routine sounds pretty simple, I just assumed that you were only feeding less and flushing the coco specifically due to them being autos but if you just like a clean coco to start with that's no issues at all. Its half half with me mates. Half wash all their coco and check runoff religiously,, half don't check any runoff EC/ph levels before planting or while growing and all end up with nice plants if they watch their input.
G,Day VinDeezle: Great explanation. The main breeders of seed i use is, Fastbuds and Dutch passion. I mainly use the latter, because i believe they are the best breeder of Autoflower Genetics . Also, They breed plants to suit different growing conditions, Hot, dry, cold, desert, that sort of thing. I want to at least grow plants that are more suitable to my growing conditions. I have low Rh%. And yes, i have tried all manner of ways to raise my Rh% and no, i simply cannot use a Humidifier, i have a few of them in the shed. What you said about your mates and what they do speakes volumes to me, with that one statement you have introduced a number of people with different opinions but all usually end up with a succesful grow ! Or, " All end up with nice plants, if they watch their inputs " As i said earlier, I will do my next grow straight from bag to pot, Gotta go, Thanks very much for your help.....Possum. Ps, i will pay more attention to my "Inputs".

Top Bottom