Aussie Bugs

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Just wondering has anyone seen these bright orange looking spider things with black legs, cruising around their plants
Used to leave em alone until i saw...1) A lady bug pierced on one of spiders legs
OR 2) A lady bug was chewing on spiders leg
Not much movement on lady bugs behalf so i'm going with option 1)
I always thought lady bugs were the badass hunters so observing this behaviour is disturbing
Has anyone seen this before?........or am i just having bad come-down from 2 much oil

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Sounds like it could be an assassin bug to me ...they've been known to drink a beetle šŸ„¤

Did it look like this?
165wh.jpg

Last edited:

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
not an expert on assassin bugs but a quick google search says
assassin bugs , if that's what they are bob , are beneficial
not unusual for beneficial's to fight over the same food sources
the bug higher up the food chain will most likely win that battle

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Ok sorry guys but this is best shots i could get
Worse with a camera than doing laps at footy field, and we all know that ain't happening

Still not sure if it's one of those assasin bugs, looks two spidery and it's got really long antteni,anttena thingos on it's head
IMG_0241[1].JPGIMG_0238[1].JPGIMG_0234[1].JPG

D

Deleted member cpr

Ok sorry guys but this is best shots i could get
Worse with a camera than doing laps at footy field, and we all know that ain't happening

Still not sure if it's one of those assasin bugs, looks two spidery and it's got really long antteni,anttena thingos on it's head
View attachment 12193View attachment 12194View attachment 12196
Don't ya love it when your camera focuses everywhere except for where you want it to.

My expert identification skills says its definately a bug.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Maaate, googled Assassin bug.....and BAM...there they were
Apparently pretty good 2 have around....[unless u a ladybug]
First time i've ever had em, and if u follow the trail of bug corpses, pretty easy 2 spot

Pikey u bug whisperer u

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
if you see lots of beneficial predator bugs on ya plants you have to assume they are feeding on something & if there's lots of them there must be plenty of food for them

"Ladybugs mainly live in shrubs, trees, fields, gardens and sometimes in homes. ... Found all over the world, ladybugs flourish in places where their food sources thrive. Because they get water from the moisture in the larvae they eat, they do not need to be near traditional sources of water"

Can ladybugs survive in the rain?
"As long as enough air has been taken in, the Ladybug should be able to survive for a good few minutes whilst (in essence) holding her breath and using up available internal oxygen supplies. This can be anything up to 30 minutes. ... This is also the reason why Ladybugs seek shelter when it rains."

Raniformis

Curing
User ID
Haven't seen those before. This season I noticed fair numbers of lady beetles on the crop. Maybe they prefer a wet season
Neither have I on the plants. Insects have been all round scarce here this year, think I've killed like 3 pillars all season. not many ladybugs.

I made the stupid mistake of putting white plastic where I tied things off so I don't trip on them. Cabbage moths loved it, had to change colour, lol.

Top Bottom