1st Hydro grow - HELP!

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Nice little setup that should do the trick. Just keep an eye on the root balls. If I was using that setup, I'd probably turn them (to flower) before the root balls filled the 16L tubs by a 1/3. That's the downside with using smaller buckets.

The grow before last, I outgrew in a 20L bucket and lost them while was down sick for a week. And because of that lesson, I use 45L tubs and still managed to fill them 2/3's with rootballs.

Good luck with it. And get a EC meter like someone previously mentioned, if you haven't already.
Thanks Indy, appreciate your detailed answer.
The hydro place convinced me to buy 2 x 19L tubs so the veg girls I have will be swapped into them and I have an EC meter on the way.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Meds4cancer

Vegetating
User ID
What's the temps mate? You running a chiller? If not you'll be fucked now it's getting hotter

What’s temps are you saying water should be when feeding. 23? No higher?

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Nice little setup that should do the trick. Just keep an eye on the root balls. If I was using that setup, I'd probably turn them (to flower) before the root balls filled the 16L tubs by a 1/3. That's the downside with using smaller buckets.

The grow before last, I outgrew in a 20L bucket and lost them while was down sick for a week. And because of that lesson, I use 45L tubs and still managed to fill them 2/3's with rootballs.

Good luck with it. And get a EC meter like someone previously mentioned, if you haven't already.
I have one on the way - can't wait!

Hudo

Baked
User ID
are you emptying the old nutes? or just pouring new into the old? I change my res once a week. the nutes you add then is enough for the whole week just top up with PH water. the plants will use water quicker than the Nutes. I think a couple things could be going on by adding new nutes every 3 days your EC is going through the roof and throwing out your PH because when the level goes down the EC goes up because there not using the nutrients as quick as the water, when this happens just top up with PH'd water no more nutes. don't give up on DWC its awesome. a couple mods for next run add a control bucket (res) outside the tent plumed into your buckets a small fountain pump with a line to each bucket so the nutrients cycle through this way you can add and check PH and adjust from there. to lower or raise just add a few drops at a time in the res wait 10 mins for it to all cycle through and check again. a cap full of peroxide every (3%regular))couple days will be beneficial too hope this helps

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I'd say

At half strength nutes what little food is there is insufficient and locked out by p.h. and like tunks said unless your in tassie then your water temps would be well over 21 which affect everything too
Edit. My autos in flower in dwc are running nutes at nearly twice recommended dose on the bottles!
my water temps currently in QLD are at 28c only thing this effects is oxygen levels.all is needed is a peroxide dose to boost o2 level every 2 days this kills any pathogens that cause rot

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
are you emptying the old nutes? or just pouring new into the old? I change my res once a week. the nutes you add then is enough for the whole week just top up with PH water. the plants will use water quicker than the Nutes. I think a couple things could be going on by adding new nutes every 3 days your EC is going through the roof and throwing out your PH because when the level goes down the EC goes up because there not using the nutrients as quick as the water, when this happens just top up with PH'd water no more nutes. don't give up on DWC its awesome. a couple mods for next run add a control bucket (res) outside the tent plumed into your buckets a small fountain pump with a line to each bucket so the nutrients cycle through this way you can add and check PH and adjust from there. to lower or raise just add a few drops at a time in the res wait 10 mins for it to all cycle through and check again. a cap full of peroxide every (3%regular))couple days will be beneficial too hope this helps
Yes I am just adding the nutes to the water already in there. So drain and feed only once a week, or according to my EC? Hmm, so this new modification will allow me to do everything outside of the tent. Oh I like that idea. Is there a minimum size for the res? Do you have an image of the set up or a link I can see?

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yes I am just adding the nutes to the water already in there. So drain and feed only once a week, or according to my EC? Hmm, so this new modification will allow me to do everything outside of the tent. Oh I like that idea. Is there a minimum size for the res? Do you have an image of the set up or a link I can see?
Dont syress to much about EC if you dump and refresh weekly they wont suffer from any deficiencies just fill and keep topping up at that level with water for the week. My system is made from bunnings buckets and my control bucket is just an extra bucket. Most hydro ships sell the rubber grommets to seal the pipe going into the buckets. Use min 19mm return lines so there is still lots of space for water to return to control buckets when roots get thick. Here is a link to a you tube vid of a basic DIY setup you don't need a huge amount of water like this a 4mm irrigation line is enough from a fountain pump you just want the water cycling through. Use a tap on the end of the pipe so you can use the pump to empty the system easily. I'll take a pic of my primative setup tonight. I also recomend using CANNA Aqua nutes because they have built in buffers once PH is set it fluctuates bugger all most weeks I don't have to adjust because it stays in the desired range for the week

Last edited:

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Dont syress to much about EC if you dump and refresh weekly they wont suffer from any deficiencies just fill and keep topping up at that level with water for the week. My system is made from bunnings buckets and my control bucket is just an extra bucket. Most hydro ships sell the rubber grommets to seal the pipe going into the buckets. Use min 19mm return lines so there is still lots of space for water to return to control buckets when roots get thick. Here is a link to a you tube vid of a basic DIY setup you don't need a huge amount of water like this a 4mm irrigation line is enough from a fountain pump you just want the water cycling through. Use a tap on the end of the pipe so you can use the pump to empty the system easily. I'll take a pic of my primative setup tonight. I also recomend using CANNA Aqua nutes because they have built in buffers once PH is set it fluctuates bugger all most weeks I don't have to adjust because it stays in the desired range for the week
Thank you for the video!
OK I checked and they look worse today, almost all rusty color so I have dumped and added new ph
Still no mention of water temps?
21.9 sorry.

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
OK here is the statistics.

PH = 5.9
TEMP=21.9
TDS = 1597
µs/cm = 336.1
light height from top of plant 32cm
As you can see the plant looks pretty bad.

Attachments

• plte.JPG
    plte.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Your TDS converts to over 3.0 EC ,,your almost at an EC of 3.2.

that’s what is wrong ..your frying the plant with nutes.

Get your TDS down to 800 for an EC
of 1.6
most strains are comfortable at that strength ,,give it a week and watch the improvement,
image.jpg
This pic will let you convert the TDS to EC .
EC on left ,,,ppm as TDS on the right column.

Meds4cancer

Vegetating
User ID
Your TDS converts to over 3.0 EC ,,your almost at an EC of 3.2.

that’s what is wrong ..your frying the plant with nutes.

Get your TDS down to 800 for an EC
of 1.6
most strains are comfortable at that strength ,,give it a week and watch the improvement,
View attachment 41218
This pic will let you convert the TDS to EC .
EC on left ,,,ppm as TDS on the right column.
what if your ppm is low like 340?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Thank you for the video!
OK I checked and they look worse today, almost all rusty color so I have dumped and added new ph

OK here is the statistics.

PH = 5.9
TEMP=21.9
TDS = 1597
µs/cm = 336.1
light height from top of plant 32cm
As you can see the plant looks pretty bad.
Yeah your frying it with nutes!!
Done it meself!
Pic had run off of 3.2 ec 🤣20221130_214935.jpg

Top Bottom