1st grow, grow medium + feeding advice.

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Good luck mate. Sounds like you have done some good research.
I've been lurking around a few forums for quite awhile now. NPK, pH, Gh/Kh, c02 and the likes are all things I've been testing and playing with for years now, so I understand all that side of things - it just seems the more you read sometimes, the more different ideas and opinions you come up with. That's why I want to try and keep things simple. I guess everyone has their ways that work for them.

Anyway, I'll come up with a game plan this weekend and see where we go from here. 👍

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I used both House & garden and greenplanet nutes both were easy as. Greenplanet was simple 1:1 ratio of a&b. And around $30-35 for the 1L bottles.

If you want even simpler then that diamond t or megacrop will work too.

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
One other quick question before I place an order for my ferts. If I'm going to mix up a potting mix/coco medium, would I be best going for the Canna Terra range, for a potting mix based medium, or Canna Coco A+B for a coco based medium?

Thoughts?
Cheers (y)

R3za92

Baked
User ID
One other quick question before I place an order for my ferts. If I'm going to mix up a potting mix/coco medium, would I be best going for the Canna Terra range, for a potting mix based medium, or Canna Coco A+B for a coco based medium?

Thoughts?
Cheers (y)
Terra the potting mix will fuck round with the coco specific. Both would work but as would the classic.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Better get your self a ph test kit and an EC meter,
otherwise you won’t have control of what your feeding them..
Its an extra cost but vital.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I actually mix terra with coco and a few other things so dont really matter witch way u gow with nutes

As long as u keep e.c and p.h within acceptable limits u be ok

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Better get your self a ph test kit and an EC meter,
otherwise you won’t have control of what your feeding them..
Its an extra cost but vital.
I'm not worrying about distilled or RO water, I'll just use tap water - it's close to neutral at around 6.6/6.8 if I remember from the last test I did for an aquarium. I have pH test kits. I also have a pH/EC/temp metre I scored a while ago on ebay. 👍
I actually mix terra with coco and a few other things so dont really matter witch way u gow with nutes

As long as u keep e.c and p.h within acceptable limits u be ok
I ended up ordering the Terra before I came back to check replies 😆

So I have ferts coming, I have a pH/EC meter, CFLs/grow spectrum T8's if I want to use them. I need to hit the nursery on the weekend for potting mix, coco & perlite.

15/20L pot plenty big enough for a small auto yeah? I'll start with the same medium in a small half litre pot before transferring.

I think I'm good now and almost ready to go. If anyone has any other tips, feel free to chime in.

I haven't decided on germination method, think I'll just go the 24hr soak to paper towel route. I tried one of my GSC babies in a coco pod a coupe of months ago and it wasn't successful. I think it dried out on me. 😟

Should I be worried about chlorine when soaking? I have dechlorinator to remove it but not sure if I should use it. What about bottled water?

Either way, I'll start a journal when I get started, that way everyone can watch my shortcomings and help rescue me! 😆

Thanks heaps for your help everyone, its been great to know I'm on the right track and be thrown in the right direction when needed. 👍

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Tap water ok as long as u put it outside for 24 hrs in sun 2 dechlorinate
Rain water is good, not sure about bottled water
I always ph water 2 around 5.8-6.0
Try germing ure seeds inbetween make-up remover pads lightly watered and covered with glad wrap on a plate, then put on top of fridge for about 3-4 days in dark
When tap roots are about 15-20 mil long, wack into solo cups and cover with sandwich bags until first shoots appear and remove bags
When leaves grow beyond outer rim of solo cups, transplant into 20ltr

Pikey

Baked
User ID
15/20L pot plenty big enough for a small auto yeah? I'll start with the same medium in a small half litre pot before transferring.
Be very careful when potting up autos, if you disturb the roots it can cause them to flower very early. I'd recommend starting them in their final pot if you're new to them. I have had some success potting them up, but I've also had some 150mm tall plants go straight into flower after I was a little less careful :(:cry::ROFLMAO:

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I'm not worrying about distilled or RO water, I'll just use tap water - it's close to neutral at around 6.6/6.8 if I remember from the last test I did for an aquarium. I have pH test kits. I also have a pH/EC/temp metre I scored a while ago on ebay. 👍
it doesn’t matter what your tap water is ,it will change after adding the nutes so always ph after mixing nutrients

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Be very careful when potting up autos, if you disturb the roots it can cause them to flower very early. I'd recommend starting them in their final pot if you're new to them. I have had some success potting them up, but I've also had some 150mm tall plants go straight into flower after I was a little less careful :(:cry::ROFLMAO:
Now that you say that, I did read a similar post elsewhere. 👍
Tap water ok as long as u put it outside for 24 hrs in sun 2 dechlorinate
Rain water is good, not sure about bottled water
I always ph water 2 around 5.8-6.0
Rain is forecast in the next couple of days 😁

I read somewhere 6.0-7.0 is the range where nutrients are best absorbed? Aiming for 6.5 is a safe bet?
IMG_20220831_234559.jpg

So when I'm adding nutes as per the manufacturer instructions, the aim here isn't to add a specific amount of nutrients, rather to target an amount that brings the pH to a level where the plant can absorb them, if that makes sense?

it doesn’t matter what your tap water is ,it will change after adding the nutes so always ph after mixing nutrients

And adjust accordingly to target that desired pH as mentioned in my above reply to Bob?

You guys are champions. But I need my beauty sleep, 6 hours definitely won't cut it 😁

Thanks again. 👍

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
So when I'm adding nutes as per the manufacturer instructions, the aim here isn't to add a specific amount of nutrients, rather to target an amount that brings the pH to a level where the plant can absorb them, if that makes sense?

And adjust accordingly to target that desired pH as mentioned in my above reply to Bob?

You guys are champions. But I need my beauty sleep, 6 hours definitely won't cut it 😁

Thanks again. 👍
first add your nutes to the desired EC,,Then you correct your PH,
which you will want at 6.0 ,,,,,or 5.8 to 6.2 range.

You will raise the EC as the plant gets bigger ,,,

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Will the ferts play with the pH much? If my tap water is slightly acidic, would I be looking to primarily lower the pH for that 6.0/6.3 target, or could the Terra bring it down under that target requiring me to bring it up?

I guess what I'm asking is should I worry about getting pH up, or just get some pH down?
I'm not going to bother with the old pH down I have in the cupboard from my aquariums.

IMG_20220901_192412.jpg

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Best 2 get both, only 7-8 dollars
If your tap water is at 6.8 then when u add ferty it will drop
As Sedge said always check p.h after adding everything
Probs won't be the same all the time

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Was happy to see this arrive today. Just a couple more pieces of the puzzle to go. 😁

IMG_20220905_203000.jpg

I just hope some of my seeds will be alright. I got some stuff from mediseedman, after reading the thread here, I'm a little worried about them popping open. 😟

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
I am one for one on mediseedsman seeds so don't loose faith before it starts.
Good to hear mate. I'm 0/1, but it's probably more my own fault than anything else.

I just need to get a substrate organised. It was cold and raining here on the weekend. My choices were go hunting the nurseries, or throw a couple of logs on the fire and rip a few hotties. Needless to say I chose the latter. :rolleyes:

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
I bought some fabric grow bags the other day and they arrived today. I ended up getting 26L (7gal) bags. Now I look at them, I'm wishing I went with the 19L (5gal) bags.

Do you guys think I'd be better off grabbing the 19L ones? What's the advantages/disadvantages from a smaller/larger pot?
Larger pot = more root system = larger plant? more food required to feed?
Smaller pot = root bound problems?

Or am I just overthinking it?

If I was to use a CFL for 3 or 4 weeks to kick things off, what sort out Kelvin rating would suit best? I was going to grab a "cool daylight" @ 6500k. Or would a more yellow "warm" @ 2700k be better. I always aimed for around 6400k in my aquascaping days.

Should I not even bother with a CFL? Will the young plant handle the change from being under light to going outdoors @afghan bob

A refresher for those following & those new to the thread - GSC auto, outdoor.

Last edited:

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
26 ltr bags are a good start and finish bag 4 autos outside
They don't have a big as root ball as photos and require [on the average] less food
Some go with 20, some with 30, so ure in sweet spot

Top Bottom