1st grow, grow medium + feeding advice.

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Hey folks,

My first post here so take it easy on me!

I'm about to germinate a couple of seeds for an outdoor grow. I have some GSC Autos I want to try.

My main questions (for now) are about grow medium and ferts.

I will be planting in pots and I was planning on just using some garden soil with a 25-30% perlite mix. Can someone recommend something better? Obviously I want to stay away from nutrient rich / slow release potting mixes as I will feed manually. Is there anything on the market that meets these requirements and that's easy to come by in a brick n mortar store?

I live in a regional location on the northern half of NSWs coast with the usual Bunnings and some landscape suppliers.

Now on to ferts. I'm not sure whether to just go with some cheap Powerfeed Red (tomatoes/veg) for Veg + Powerfeed Pink (roses/flowers) for bloom. My other option is Canna Terra Vega / Flores. I'm just not sure on the NPK in the Powerfeed.

The Powerfeed Red is @ 14 1.4 8 respectively. While Pink Powerfeed is 10 2 8 respectively. Is that too high?

Another option is;
Manutec Hydro for fruit and veg @ 6-1.2-6 and Ca 1.8 Mg 0.5.
&
Manutec Potash Plus for flowers @ 5-1-9 and Ca 1.8 Mg 0.5.

Anyone tried the above Bunnings products with decent results?

What numbers should I be aiming for? My understanding is Veg = High N, Medium P, High K while Bloom = N Low, P Med-High, K High, correct?

Obviously the Canna Terra is ideal for potting mixes/soil, but at over double the cost it also requires an online purchase / delivery.

I went with the GSC autos as it's a predominately short, Indica strain that I can keep discreet. I also went for autos for a quick turnaround.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, your advice and experience is valued greatly.

4twenty.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Hey folks,

My first post here so take it easy on me!

I'm about to germinate a couple of seeds for an outdoor grow. I have some GSC Autos I want to try.

My main questions (for now) are about grow medium and ferts.

I will be planting in pots and I was planning on just using some garden soil with a 25-30% perlite mix. Can someone recommend something better? Obviously I want to stay away from nutrient rich / slow release potting mixes as I will feed manually. Is there anything on the market that meets these requirements and that's easy to come by in a brick n mortar store?

I live in a regional location on the northern half of NSWs coast with the usual Bunnings and some landscape suppliers.

Now on to ferts. I'm not sure whether to just go with some cheap Powerfeed Red (tomatoes/veg) for Veg + Powerfeed Pink (roses/flowers) for bloom. My other option is Canna Terra Vega / Flores. I'm just not sure on the NPK in the Powerfeed.

The Powerfeed Red is @ 14 1.4 8 respectively. While Pink Powerfeed is 10 2 8 respectively. Is that too high?

Another option is;
Manutec Hydro for fruit and veg @ 6-1.2-6 and Ca 1.8 Mg 0.5.
&
Manutec Potash Plus for flowers @ 5-1-9 and Ca 1.8 Mg 0.5.

Anyone tried the above Bunnings products with decent results?

What numbers should I be aiming for? My understanding is Veg = High N, Medium P, High K while Bloom = N Low, P Med-High, K High, correct?

Obviously the Canna Terra is ideal for potting mixes/soil, but at over double the cost it also requires an online purchase / delivery.

I went with the GSC autos as it's a predominately short, Indica strain that I can keep discreet. I also went for autos for a quick turnaround.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, your advice and experience is valued greatly.

4twenty.
The manutec dry/powdered hydro nutes from bunning can be used similarly to jacks 321. It comes with 2 part the base and calcium nitrate, you’d need to buy magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts). It’s also similar to campbells diamond-t if you want to buy bulk cheap. These are hydro options and will work best in hydro systems and mediums like coco drain to waste, rockwool flood drain, or rdwc etc.

The Canna terra is a good place for new growers to start and is pretty easy with the main issue I’ve seen is people overfeeding early on while the medium still has nutrients (it’s charged out of the bag)

As for dirt, I personally detest seasol and it’s powerfeed products, all are ridiculously high in sodium (salt) for my liking. Imo you’d be better off either blending your own no till or supersoil or purchase something along the lines of easy as organics.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Musta taken u a lot longer time 2 type that, took me long time 2 read it
A few things, if your first grow maybe photos would be easier on u, autos can be more finicky than teenage daughter on prom night
2; If your using garden soil u will have 2 ammend with some sorta aged manure or dry ferty
3; Get hold of canna terra or coco if u can and maybe canna nutes
4; Germinate inside under T5's or some similar and veg autos 4 at least 4 weeks and outside when flowering

I've used some Manutec stuff but mainly in flower
DON'T OVERWATER

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
The Canna terra is a good place for new growers to start and is pretty easy with the main issue I’ve seen is people overfeeding early on while the medium still has nutrients (it’s charged out of the bag)
I was referring to the Canna Terra liquid ferts, I assume you're referring to the Canna Terra Professional (grow medium). I did also consider coco. This is why I want to avoid a fertilized medium.
A few things, if your first grow maybe photos would be easier on u, autos can be more finicky than teenage daughter on prom night
I stayed away from photos because I'm impatient and I really want to keep this thing at a couple of feet tall at max.
3; Get hold of canna terra or coco if u can and maybe canna nutes
Maybe I'll just go with the Canna Terra Professional. Was hoping to find a potting mix that wasn't pre charged / slow release.
4; Germinate inside under T5's or some similar and veg autos 4 at least 4 weeks and outside when flowering
I have a CFL ready to go. I was pretty handy at aquascaping in planted aquariums. I even thought of getting into veg in an unused 3' aquarium with some grow T8's or a smaller 50L with CFLs.

What kink of NPK would be sufficient? I see the Canna Terra stuff is like 2-1-2.

Thanks for the advice.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
I was referring to the Canna Terra liquid ferts, I assume you're referring to the Canna Terra Professional (grow medium). I did also consider coco. This is why I want to avoid a fertilized medium.

I stayed away from photos because I'm impatient and I really want to keep this thing at a couple of feet tall at max.

Maybe I'll just go with the Canna Terra Professional. Was hoping to find a potting mix that wasn't pre charged / slow release.

I have a CFL ready to go. I was pretty handy at aquascaping in planted aquariums. I even thought of getting into veg in an unused 3' aquarium with some grow T8's or a smaller 50L with CFLs.

What kink of NPK would be sufficient? I see the Canna Terra stuff is like 2-1-2.

Thanks for the advice.
If your going to use the terra I’d advise to use both the nutes and medium together. Also the terra medium makes a decent soil base if you want to build your own but it is a bit expensive for that purpose.

R3za92

Baked
User ID

Thanks for the advice.
My advise for first timers is always coco/perlite blend with a basic a+b (I recomend house and garden cocos as a base with a pk booster for flower) and hand water. Get a decent ph and ec meter and some ph up and down (not from Bunnings make sure the down isn’t citric acid)

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
If your going to use the terra I’d advise to use both the nutes and medium together. Also the terra medium makes a decent soil base if you want to build your own but it is a bit expensive for that purpose.
Yeah. I almost bit the bullet today and ordered the Canna stuff, the $40 postage on the 50L bag had me looking for alternatives. Nothing worse than 50% of your shop going to postage. :D

I might visit a local nursery and see what they have. I've heard a lot of good things on the Canna ferts though.

Appreciate the replies.

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
This is from Bunnings ..it’s good and clean .and cheap.
add about 25% perlite.
View attachment 25857
Thanks boss. I did see that on their website when I looked a couple of weeks ago. I have a mate who does outdoor also and he said one of our local nurseries does a decent Coco too. My experience with coco was I found it dried out really quick?

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Yeah mate postage sux
If u can find a good base then add or subtract diff things until u find something that works 4 u
Just watch the plant, it will tell u if it's thinking about pamela anderson or pauline hanson
Who doesn't like a fiery redhead? :D

Anyway, it's all food for thought. I appreciate the help. I'm going to sink one or two of these girls into some water and start the process in the next week or so.

When would you start feeding? Like 3 or 4 sets of leaves for example?

Last edited:

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Thanks boss. I did see that on their website when I looked a couple of weeks ago. I have a mate who does outdoor also and he said one of our local nurseries does a decent Coco too. My experience with coco was I found it dried out really quick?
Yep ,you would need to water once a day ..if outside when really hot maybe / probably twice a day..
I add the best potting mix at about twenty percent to help it hold moisture longer,,,it does have premixed food in the potting mix but at that ratio it doesn’t matter.

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Yep ,you would need to water once a day ..if outside when really hot maybe / probably twice a day..
I add the best potting mix at about twenty percent to help it hold moisture longer,,,it does have premixed food in the potting mix but at that ratio it doesn’t matter.
So, 20% potting, 20% perlite, 60% Coco?

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
Yeah that’s about what I’ve been doing ,,,but,,get the most expensive potting mix they have ,,..the cheap shit is shit.lol.
Thanks mate. I'll see what I can find. Anyway, time to call it a night. Appreciate all the help everybody. 👍

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Coco should be fed daily or even multiple times a day. You don’t want it getting bone dry like soil. Fucks with the medium ph and ec.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Good luck mate. Sounds like you have done some good research.

Like others said. Coco is great. Good growth and as long as you are feeding it it’s more forgiving to overwatering than soil. I’ve used that Bunnings pine gro too mixed with perlite. Hempy buckets and simple nutes. Good results.

It’s hard not to go too extreme buying your first grow gear. I’m still playing around with media and styles. But just jump in and start. You will find what style you like and what works for you.

And yeah get some photo periods. Way more forgiving. And if it’s the size you’re worried about then just flip to flowering earlier.

Edit: just re read that your doing it outdoors. So flipping early isn’t an option lol. Though pot size will help keep it smaller but will also make the roots get rootbound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom