Forum public areas

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Evening all,

I have been thinking that perhaps there is far too much of the forum open to the public eye.

As such, I am planning on shutting most of it down to members only, well, bar this Site Troubleshooting and perhaps the general news threads.

Then, the rest of the forum categories, something like this:

Grow Talk: Members only.
Grow Diaries and Competitions: Members only with x number of posts.
Canna Talk: Members only.

I would also like to add a forum that is only visible to members by invite, within which there would be sub forums, also only visible via invite.

Chat would probably need to move to members only also.

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback :)

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Yes, definitely shut most of it down from public view. Just need enough visible to attract new visitors. Who would have the privileges to control the members by invite forum? ( i.e. control the invites). End users or admin role/function,?

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Yes, definitely shut most of it down from public view. Just need enough visible to attract new visitors. Who would have the privileges to control the members by invite forum? ( i.e. control the invites). End users or admin role/function,?

Hadn't thought that far ahead. .. ideas?

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I would also like to add a forum that is only visible to members by invite, within which there would be sub forums, also only visible via invite.

It's a good idea. But from experience with the old 420 Crew thing is that it worked because probably only about 10% of regular members to the site had access to it. That being, 420 members, administrators and mods. I'd tend to believe if you allowed more folks into it, you could create a situation where the main forum could fall silent at times. Something worth considering..

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Hadn't thought that far ahead. .. ideas?
Depends what you intend using the forum for? If it's just chat, then members should have ability to manage their own group. If there's a commercial application, you (admin) want to maintain than control. Just needs flexibility to add/delete participants

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Maybe a daily post limit for new members could be a good idea too? I can foresee new members swimming spamming posts to reach the 'x' number of posts required.
The other joint had it sorted that you had to make 10 posts before you could join chat. I know it's not what you mean, mate. But it certainly kept the kiddies at bay to some extent during school holidays, as many wanted to jump straight into chat 'n hit ppl up to score.

seeded

Vegetating
User ID
Having a post limit to enter chat is a good idea but still open to people spamming so it should come with a minimum membership time as well. Making it 24-48 hours should be enough to discourage noobs from going in there and trying to score or whatever.

If you're going to have a private section for members similar to what the 420crew used to be I would advise against having grow diaries in there as given the smaller membership size here it would likely kill off the one all members can see as people would feel more comfortable sharing with the trusted members. I think a good alternative would be to have something like a sub where each member can have a thread for private eyes only where they can show off things they don't want the general public knowing about such as pheno hunts with stupid high numbers or their pollen chucking to avoid a million people asking for seeds. It could still devolve into a private grow diary section like that though. Invites to a sub like this would probably be best suited starting with admin giving them out to trusted members but also giving those members an invite once they reach a certain post count. Hell you could just make it a matter of reaching a post limit to unlock access to the sub anyway as something like 500 posts would show that a member is serious about sticking around.

If there's going to be a super duper secret sub for sharing or even something basic like community breeding projects where people arrange things in private you gotta treat it like the first two rules of fight club and be merciless about banning members who break the rules. It would have to be invite only by admin because if users can invite others it'll end up with people frothing over genetics and sending an invite, security be damned, in order to get them for free like what has happened on other sites.

Closing off the majority of the site to non members is a good idea though. People are lazy by nature so it'll force lurkers to join if they want content and the more they hang around logged in the more likely they are to pipe up one day and start contributing to the forum.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I'm surprised how well the ignore option works at cleaning shit up. You can easily see again if you want by clicking on a link at the bottom right of each thread. But it's been quite comical seeing others going off without seeing what the shitposter posts.

After a while, you just don't care to know because it's the same baiting shit as usual. A pattern appears, and it becomes old fairly quickly.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Definitely think it’s a good idea to make things less public.

It’s free to join so if you want to see what it’s about you need to join to do so. And then if you want to see more then you need to contribute to the forum.

Once you’re a member then you have the ability to post in diary’s and ask and learn from the old hands here. But yeah if there’s going to be a sub forum area then there should be spamming deterrents in place.

Not sure if daily limits would help or alienate new members. But certainly a total number post in the area if 200+ would be good enough. If you posted 200 times over a week then there’s probably something suss going on there to tip off admin.

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Evening all,

I have been thinking that perhaps there is far too much of the forum open to the public eye.

As such, I am planning on shutting most of it down to members only, well, bar this Site Troubleshooting and perhaps the general news threads.

Then, the rest of the forum categories, something like this:

Grow Talk: Members only.
Grow Diaries and Competitions: Members only with x number of posts.
Canna Talk: Members only.

Chat would probably need to move to members only also.

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback :)
And a month later, hows that worked out for you..?
for me and many here signed up as an Alt to Aus Stoners, we had much hope for this much needed site with easy public access
2 years later ish with still under 500 members and still just as clicky clik as it was when you took the helm,
you want to dis the advertisers and make it even more clicky, good for you.

Theirs still a bunch of Ideal members auzzies that are heavy growers, that dislike the local weed sites and yet have never heard of TSE
of the guys I've SENT to TSE , many come back, pissed of again with that clicky click that persists here and encouraged by you and your favorites
I've mentioned the foul language that you have ignored many times, I thought it was just me as English is a 3rd language to me, my auz mates have proved me correct

above all what many visitors have totally pissed of with, is the banal and useless comments that again are encouraged even on some desirable threads

along with the need to squeeze cash from the membership will that be the only form of income this site will have
eventually making it a private weed site so long as you pay the $au200 pa

please goat make a deal with urself 1000 members by years end or mate step down

Australia needs an open public weed site not another aus stoners its why you started no?

Indy

Misfit
User ID
please goat make a deal with urself 1000 members by years end or mate step down

Dude, there's no one or nothing stopping someone else from starting another Aus/NZ focused cannabis site. OzStoner's or TSE can't hinder anyone in that area.

Seeing you have such strong views in this regard, and some niche members looking for something better. Why don't you produce a site of your own. Nothing wrong with a bit of competition.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
As Indy mentioned, why don't you and Jaz (assuming you're not the same person) go build you own forum... but you know, this time with blackjack and hookers!

You could even pay the members to join and make a rule that any experienced growers are not allowed, only copy/paste wankers like yourself and Jaz need apply. You could be a king... plenty of lick my arse "growmies" out there that would lap it up. That should make for the "safe space" you're oh so desperately looking for 🤗

Maybe you could even have a special "Spiritual" section to the forum where no "foul" language is allowed... only "on topic" delusion and self adulation :unsure:

Who knew Vostok was Russian for Karen... guess you learn something every day :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom