Aussie Bugs

vostok

Blooming
User ID
I would be most interested in members posting their Australian bugs,

the ones that eat the weed when you are not looking

the worst we have is red spider-mites, tell tale by the tiny thing webbing

and aphids for me that I keep back by growing marygolds and other compatiable plants

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Or get some bugs for bugs at the website, and soon enough , you 'll have no bugs pics to post 😀👍

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
you should see speckling on leaves b4 you see webbing , both spider mite & aphid are attracted to excess nitrogen
excess nitrogen cause plants to have thinner outer cell walls making it easier for bugs to chew through, this is one reason they are attracted = easy feeding

as far as IPM go's , be preemptive , don't wait to see damage or any sign of a bugs presents , assume they are there already , have a plan in place b4 planting out your girl , work on plant health so she can go some ways to protecting herself

Two-spotted Mite (or Red Spider mite to my friends)
mite1.jpg
Describe yourself: Well, my closest relations are spiders, but don’t let that put you off! I’m TINY (about .5mm), greenish-yellow and look good in spots (two big black ones on my back). I change
things a little in autumn when I look good in red – in line with the season.
Hobbies: Man, I suck… and suck, and suck! I enjoy spinning webs, and hanging out on the underside of leaves in a big group.
Likes: Heaps of fruit trees (I go crazy for apple and peach trees), veggies (especially cucumbers, capsicums, tomatoes and beans), and I adore roses, berries, azaleas and marigolds. Hot, dry weather, with low humidity really gets me laying eggs! And violet patches are a good spot for taking my winter break.

https://www.sgaonline.org.au/red-spider-mite/

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Came across one of best fungus gnat traps that actually work
#1 yogurt container or some similar......keep the lid
#2 apple cidfr vinegar
#3 couple drops of dishwashing liquid
Pour coupla inchs of cider into container and quick sploosh of dish liquid
Cover container with gladwrap and place lid over. Dont 4get to cut circle out of lid first
With something sharp give gladwrap a good poking 2 allow little ferkers 2 enter
Smell of cidar drives em wild, they can get in and like pedro's social life, they can't get out

Ipersonally have used them resulting in drowning of thousands of flying fuks, total gnat genocide
Any probs and i'll post a photo

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Another good idea from our favourite ( and only) Afghani member. 👍 Curious though, whats the purpose of the container lid, if covering in glad wrap( with a few entry holes)? Wouldn't the glad wrap be enough to keep the gnats in their coffin ?

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
I only use flower nutes for everything, so no excess N, still get aphids and spidermites, mainly inside in winter for the Aphids
Spidermites come and go, can go years without seeing them, I just ignore them outside, they piss off with the cold wet weather

Aphids are CUNTS

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
def easier to over feed with liquid / powdered nutes but that doesn't mean you can't over feed if it's being broken down in the soil from organic matter like poo or green manure

you can generally get away with top dressing N heavy amendments but too much is too much majority of the time

N is just one of many possible reasons bugs might be attacking a plant , lack of minerals , plant susceptibility , water , ect ect
for me i can't just accept bug damage is part of growing plants , deal with it , i see pants that grow fine & flower without any bugs
plants have to be able to defend themselves otherwise how did we originally find any plant , bugs would have killed them all

nice tip bob

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Another good idea from our favourite ( and only) Afghani member. 👍 Curious though, whats the purpose of the container lid, if covering in glad wrap( with a few entry holes)? Wouldn't the glad wrap be enough to keep the gnats in their coffin ?
apparently u gotta stretch it tight, no slack as it makes harder 4 them 2 escape,also helps 2 wind some tape around glad wrap 2 keep tight against container
Just rest it on top of soil and the occassional tap around outside of pot 2 stir em up
Seriously works really well

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
I've got the silica on the go here, for the outside ones in pots, found a bottle lol

I ignore the fungas gnats these days, they don't bother the coco pots, only had a problem inside in soil 1 year over winter

Ignore the spider mites as well, outside anyway, haven't had a problem inside for 10 + years with them

Aphids only seem to fuck me up inside over winter, pots go out in the Sun, so probably got them outside ?

wont mention pillars the cunts, this year might not be so bad hopefully
weather is fucked with La Nina, might keep them away ? can't remember if they were bad the last one

Some strains don't get affected by anything, Bangi Haze never had a Aphid on it, in the same room as strains that had to be thrown out the infestation on them was so bad

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Pillars are still munching away, I think there going to be bad this year, as more butterflies around this year... the little cunts caterpillars..

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah what is it with ferking white but/flys, moths cruising around lately
I reckon i see about 127 in my garden each day
Either that or one of em killed the energiser bunny and taken over
I'M not evil but take great delight in watching all the frothing geckos munching on moths outside kitchen window
Geckos are pretty full on, shaking moths soft bits like a ferking great white

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
silica is good to help strengthen the plants cell walls making it a little harder for bugs to chew through , kelp & aloe are both like a health tonic & will help to increase a plants immune response

i feel the same about gnats , ignore them outdoors , if your soil is probiotic enough gnat larvae are food for something else in the soil food web chain , which will keep numbers down & the good soil predators fed

last indoor , which was a while ago i used a purchase from the good bug shop , think i got to use the nematodes 3 times starting day 1 from memory b4 the used by date was up , all preemptive & never saw any for the grow , well maybe 1 or 2 , yellow sticky traps were pretty much clear of gnats

the more active your soil the more chance gnats will be mostly stopped somewhere close to egg stage by Beneficial's like nematode or mites are another option , if going down this bug buying path , not a path you want to go down if you already have an infestation , they will help but you would possibly be spraying some form of pesticide as well that will also take out the Beneficial's you paid for

i've never had spider mites indoor , had many on last years outdoor grow which was mostly neglected as i was caring for mum who past in May this year , plants in dry living soils don't do so well ( cos soils not living ) , moisture stress attracts the garbbo's = any pest in the vicinity , & with a pest presence comes the higher possibility of pathogens , water is a major part of plant health , the more consistent the moisture the healthier the plant is & the more the soil stays active / alive

aphids are def attracted to plants consuming excess nitrogen , they are also attracted to plants with lower brix levels ( lower sap sugars ) , higher the brix more resistant the plant becomes & better expression of a plants individual traits as a byproduct of better health
this is the main reason i bang on about plant health so much , increased health = higher sugar levels ( brix ) = pest & pathogen resistant's

definitely starting with a resistant cultivar to begin with would have to be best practice , if you wanna go some way to try guaranteeing a good final outcome for your grow , take that bit of pedro advice & put it at the top of ya to do list

def allot of factors involved , like environment so best to do things we can have some small control over , plant health "we can" have some influence on , weather mmmm not so much

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Fungas gnat larvae thrive in anaerobic conditions, good potting mix and good soil won't provide anaerobic conditions

Along with silica Calcium very important for cell strength

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
I mean the whole point of a good quality potting mix is that it has the proper air filled porosity needed by plants when fully saturated, but I do agree it isn't the whole picture and my statement was a bit all in. Good watering practices and environment play a role as well.

Raniformis

Curing
User ID
I think the pest bugs run amok early and late in the season because there's no predators. The predator bugs don't get cracking until the weather warms up and they leave before it cools down.

I reckon that's why light dep plants cop it harder than stuff that's left outside. No rain and 50% less time exposed to predators.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
the pests that i tackle each year are mainly caterpillars and white fly and see the odd red spider mite oh and for a couple of years I had spring tails giving me grief

brick

Germinating
User ID
I mean the whole point of a good quality potting mix is that it has the proper air filled porosity needed by plants when fully saturated, but I do agree it isn't the whole picture and my statement was a bit all in. Good watering practices and environment play a role as well.
Have never had gnats in Canna potting mix. Side by side with Searles premium potting mix. They chose Searles over the Canna.

Top Bottom