What to sow for later on

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
This is the peanut from the top pic in sept from memory, all the branches spread out and along the branches roots go down and you get peanuts on the ends of those shoots. I'll post a pic when I harvest them but I have to wait for them to die off first. Just in case anyone was interested.

Attachments

• 20221105_082708.jpg
    20221105_082708.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
I harvested some of my peanuts today and thought I'd post some pics..They're pretty cool in how they grow. This is one plant at about 3-4 foot wide..

Attachments

• 20221211_163234.jpg
    20221211_163234.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221211_162912.jpg
    20221211_162912.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221211_163201.jpg
    20221211_163201.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6

Topgun

Blooming
User ID
The first two things I would plant on a new block assuming they are not there would be:

Parsley - preferably protected from afternoon sun and under irrigation.
South side of the building is perfect.
Try to source Italian giant parsley as it is more bolt resistant and generally hardier than the bunnings variety.

Next would be comfrey for its ability to penetrate deep undergound and bring up nutrients that can then be used around the garden.

Followed closely by a lemon tree.

Then garlic, herbs, salads and vegies.

Always be looking for a good place to put a pumpkin, like directly into your compost pile.

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
The first two things I would plant on a new block assuming they are not there would be:

Parsley - preferably protected from afternoon sun and under irrigation.
South side of the building is perfect.
Try to source Italian giant parsley as it is more bolt resistant and generally hardier than the bunnings variety.

Next would be comfrey for its ability to penetrate deep undergound and bring up nutrients that can then be used around the garden.

Followed closely by a lemon tree.

Then garlic, herbs, salads and vegies.

Always be looking for a good place to put a pumpkin, like directly into your compost pile.
Comfrey is also great for making a liquid tonic for all over the garden - chop bunches of comfrey leaves and place in a 20ltr (or larger) pale and let them stew til they break down - strain, dilute and water in around the garden … plants love it 👍🏻

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
Comfrey is also great for making a liquid tonic for all over the garden - chop bunches of comfrey leaves and place in a 20ltr (or larger) pale and let them stew til they break down - strain, dilute and water in around the garden … plants love it 👍🏻
@Tugboat apparently peanuts are good at fixing nitrogen in the soil but what I have noticed is the reduction in root nematodes since I've been growing peanuts and they have done wonders for fixing up my clay soil, them and compost and worm castings.

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
I've only heard about comfrey and it's benefits which are many.

Top Bottom