What’s your favourite terpenes?

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I’ve started looking into the science of cannabis and how beneficial terpenes are.
So I want to get peoples thoughts on the matter.
I like linalool, which is in lavender and a lot of other mint plants. And I’ve found that zkittles ( thanks Gazza) has linalool as a high terpene profile.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
i enjoy strains that smell of spice , i guess that would make it into the floral category from Jodrey's post below
doesn't mean i don't like the other categories , i just tend to gravitate to the spicy (c/w little amount of chemicals & a touch of sweetness ) yummo

i like it simplified like that , 4 categories fuel ( chemical ), earth ( dirt , coffee ,choc ) , floral ( spicy ) & fruit ( sweet )
because i agree it's a combination of terpenes that i enjoy most

post by Kevin Jodrey https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-decide-which-marijuana-terpenes-are-right-for-me

Trust your nose. We as humans instinctually go after things we find pleasant.
A good guide I came up with a long time ago is to look at cannabis in four major
categories of perception. Fuel, earth, floral, and fruit. Fuel can also include things
that smell chemically, floral includes things that smell spicy. Earth means things
like fresh dirt, coffee, chocolate, and wood. Fruit is all things fruit plus anything sweet.

an example of popular varieties that fit those categories of perception would be
og kush for fuel, bubba kush for earth, Tangie for fruit, and lemon haze for floral.

gas scent is usually associated with an aggressive powerful high. Earth is usually
associated with a relaxing high. Floral is usually associated with an introspective,
contemplative high, and fruit is usually associated with an uplifting high. You may
find you like them all but maybe at different times of the day and for different needs.
There is no right or wrong as much as what works best for your current needs.

dont think of one terpene as the target. Think of terpenes in combinations as that’s
how they are delivered by the plant to you the user. The labels from the store typically
don’t include the terpene reports, just the cannabinoids present and to what degree.
If you can find a product you enjoy you can contact the farm responsible for growing
it and ask if they have a terpene report for that flower. It will help you understand what
is in the flower and to what amount and ratios. I have seen a tremendous amount of
reports due to some of the positions I hold in the industry( farm operator, store operator)
and it still amazes me as to what terpenes are present in the sample and how those
minor terpenes influence how we perceive the scent. Flavonoids and esters impart a
great deal to the experience too and all combined make up the total experience.

i always recommend keeping a little notebook so you can record what you liked and
what you didn’t and from whom those flowers were grown by. You can now start to
dig up the reports from the producing farm if available and start to see your particular
pattern of satiety. Just because you liked or disliked one thing doesn’t mean the farm
is good or bad. Some farms specialize in producing certain varieties and their methodologies
can have a powerful effect on what the product is perceived to be by the end user.
Once you find out what you like and who grows it, you will be able to find out what
store carries it, and what things are close to that product so you have more buying
options In case that particular product is currently unavailable.

the understanding of how terpenes effect us through combustion is just beginning.
Almost all terpene knowledge is from scent alone, not from the impact of burning that
product and experiencing it through that delivery method. Modern Breeding will release an
avalanche of new scents available for ones enjoyment. Always remember no one
knows your needs better than you so trust your instincts, trust your nose, work on
developing your palette,and enjoy the adventure.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Man that’s some ready good points

yeah I know about the entourage effect that encompasses all terpenes and other compounds.
It’s similar to wine. Where different grapes have esthers and pryazines that can create amazing aromas in wine.
I’m interested in complimentary herbs that can enhance a smoke. Like mixing some lavender in with a strain to increase linalool. Or maybe to a strain that doesn’t have it so it adds to the effects. I kind of overloaded myself with info this afternoon.
But the chemistry behind it is so fascinating

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
So I’m posting this here as it has great points on terpenes and companion planting to encourage terpene growth.

Yeah I watched that one the other day too … have read a little on companion planting and wondered about cannabis beneficials … not sure if it was this vid or another where they were discussing how some companion / cover crops can signal to other plants when distressed and trigger a terpene response … sorta like getting a stress response from your canna plant by actually stressing the companion plants

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Has an interesting idea of strawberries as companion plants. I plan on doing that for sure.
I had strawberries in with last outdoors

The problem is you need to place the berry plants a few metres from the weed plant otherwise they over grow them and they don't get enough sun

Was my mistake last yr only had them a metre from girls but was way to close

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I had strawberries in with last outdoors

The problem is you need to place the berry plants a few metres from the weed plant otherwise they over grow them and they don't get enough sun

Was my mistake last yr only had them a metre from girls but was way to close
Oh really. I was hoping to put two strawberries in those planters with one cannabis plant. And some thyme as well.

Plan was to grow the weed, pull the roots out after harvest and place a plastic pot in its place due winter months. The next season transplant new weed in amongst the established strawberries and thyme.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
sorry for being over a year late ... hehehe ...

terps i look for in a cultivar
α-pinene
limonene
linalool
caryophyllene

this vid of ethan russo comes from a recommendation from itchy a while ago and is great for a summary of terps.

strains that contain good amounts of the above terps and are effective on pain ...
lemon skunk (day)
afghani#1 (night)

Top Bottom