Weed of yesteryear?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
I reckon we are exchanging the entourage effect created by a host of compounds for higher thc levels and it's degrading the experience. There are a multitude of terpenes, flavonoids, resins and cannabinoids which all interact with each other in ways we aren't even sure of yet. My opinion is that our obsession with thc, flower duration/morphology and specific terpenes happens to be withholding expression of other profiles.

I can remember growing out my first Laos/old timers haze cross a few years back. The old timers was quoted at 13% and the Laos from Khalifa was quoted around 4-5%. I got super sensitive to noise and time which hadn't happened for 15 years. Kept turning the tv down until it was a 4/100 and it still seemed loud as shit to me.

There's always pros and cons when limiting the genetic expression of any organism. Every action has an equal reaction, even if unseen or heard.

Last edited:

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
one of the reasons is that most of the strains nowadays have been selected to finish flowering in 10 weeks or less
which effectively rules out any of the older sativa genetics you probably remember smoking years ago.
The Haze I've been working on has that old school smell taste and long lasting cerebal high
I'm fairly certain Ive got the feminized version down to 12 weeks of flowering which isn't too bad for a 100% Sativa
Next project is testing some F1regs I made comprising of Afghan haze , Mango haze , Nevils haze & Mullumbimby madness should be interesting

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
About 35 years ago in Melbourne it was pretty dry buying wise so I had a friend who had a friend in Cairns send down an ounce.
Super chilled stone as good as anything I've ever had and an intense fresh mango smell. Bag had maybe 20 seeds so started growing it. Separated a male and pollinated one of the females. Grew them on a rooftop of a 3 story building in Middle Park and later in a backyard in Heatherton. Did maybe 5 grows. Last one hermied badly. Long story short. Just found some seeds in an old gramophone needle tin I'd forgotten about. No chance I'm thinking. The'd be 25 years old.

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
About 35 years ago in Melbourne it was pretty dry buying wise so I had a friend who had a friend in Cairns send down an ounce.
Super chilled stone as good as anything I've ever had and an intense fresh mango smell. Bag had maybe 20 seeds so started growing it. Separated a male and pollinated one of the females. Grew them on a rooftop of a 3 story building in Middle Park and later in a backyard in Heatherton. Did maybe 5 grows. Last one hermied badly. Long story short. Just found some seeds in an old gramophone needle tin I'd forgotten about. No chance I'm thinking. The'd be 25 years old.
I know the type.. back around 20 years ago there was a lot of strong mango terps doing the rounds here. I have some old "Thai mango" seeds from a mate up in NT circa like 15 years ago and they have the same tones. Notorious for Hermie and have a long flower, but it's worth it for the warm feelings of simpler times.
received_1181220425932832.jpeg
That profile will always have a nostalgic hold on me for sure as we always equated it with a super euphoric stone, but it could all be due to lack of tolerance back then and rose tinted glasses today.

I should throw a few in a see if they pop.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
If it's the same stuff, it possibly come from the Bloomfield region in FNQ. Fuckin' good smoko indeed.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
one of the reasons is that most of the strains nowadays have been selected to finish flowering in 10 weeks or less
which effectively rules out any of the older sativa genetics you probably remember smoking years ago.
The Haze I've been working on has that old school smell taste and long lasting cerebal high
I'm fairly certain Ive got the feminized version down to 12 weeks of flowering which isn't too bad for a 100% Sativa
Next project is testing some F1regs I made comprising of Afghan haze , Mango haze , Nevils haze & Mullumbimby madness should be interesting
Totally agree ,
growers using only seeds from the shorter flowering plants are going to miss out on some stronger but much longer flowering plants,
which were more common 40 and 50 years ago.

Then adding indica into the mix to shorten flowering time (and stretch) takes away from the strong sativa highs from back then.

I also think that if I were to smoke the exact same weed I started out on ,I still wouldn’t experience it the same as I did then ,,like giggling at nothing while someone is trying to serve me in a shop.

Djinn129

Germinating
User ID
I remember once like 20 years ago on a trip to the NT I had some of the best weed I've ever had, they called it gold nugget skunk or golden nugget skunk. I've never had pot so good again, just thinking about it takes me back 😋

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I grew up in the country (WA) and this new couple moved to town when I was a teenager, they were fixing up a house and asked me to help do some work. They had this weed that we called “psychedelic” as it was more like acid than any weed we had smoked.
I remember one day we had a joint and I was meant to paint a wall. I ended up spilling a tin on paint on the carpet and somehow rolling all around in it. My hair was soaked with paint as was the carpet.

Every plant I grew was sativa as were my friends EXCEPT once a friend grew a plant that poked nothing like what we were used to. Short plant, fat leaves, ow know it was Indica but hadn’t even heard that term back then. Books always called it cannon as sativa. Never mentioned Indica. Don’t think it was a “ thing” back then.

Shit we used to smoke “leaf and tip” in off season and get stoned. But I’m sure it’s tolerance rather than stronger back then.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
The weed is different from years ago, but I've wondered about another factor. We frequently hear older people suggesting the weed is different and/or weaker than our youth. It could indeed be the strains, but maybe in addition to the 1980's vs 2020's difference, the fact that we're getting old has an effect? Alcohol and food affect me different in my mid-40's than they did in my mid-20's. Seems plausible that my body's response to cannabis might be different too. We're all getting fatter, uglier, and crankier with age, maybe our old bodies' are metabolising the THC/CBD/Terpenes/etc differently? Just a stoner thought to consider...

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I know the type.. back around 20 years ago there was a lot of strong mango terps doing the rounds here. I have some old "Thai mango" seeds from a mate up in NT circa like 15 years ago and they have the same tones. Notorious for Hermie and have a long flower, but it's worth it for the warm feelings of simpler times.
View attachment 34723
That profile will always have a nostalgic hold on me for sure as we always equated it with a super euphoric stone, but it could all be due to lack of tolerance back then and rose tinted glasses today.

I should throw a few in a see if they pop.
Same i would like to find it again..

Top Bottom