Warning, Almost had a fire inside my tent.

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Hi,

I was using a bucket of water with white material hanging over the sides to absorb water with the purpose of increasing humidity inside the tent. The material sits in the bucket and hangs over the side. It is always drawing water and the evaporation off the material increases humidity.
System worked well until I saw this. I could smell a feint smoke smell and to my dismay saw this. There was some kind of hotspot, maybe from the led. Fucking glad I caught this in time.

fire - Copy.jpg

fire1 - Copy.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Very lucky indeed.
Got a fire extinguisher that is close by just in case anything goes to shit.

Maybe you can use one of these in your bucket instead.. hook it upto an inkbird and it will automatically switch on and off when neededIMG_20240412_102834.jpg

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Very lucky indeed.
Got a fire extinguisher that is close by just in case anything goes to shit.

Maybe you can use one of these in your bucket instead.. hook it upto an inkbird and it will automatically switch on and off when neededView attachment 46888

Thanks for the ultrasonic idea.
I have a 2kg fire extinguisher and an extinguisher ball above the tent.
I heeded the Spider farmer warnings even though I do not use their products.
Not going to worry about low humidity anymore. Not everything can be perfect and hadn't worried about low humidity for years.
My humidity was down to 48-53% and I was just trying to get it above 60% so not really necessary to do anything about it.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for the ultrasonic idea.
I have a 2kg fire extinguisher and an extinguisher ball above the tent.
I heeded the Spider farmer warnings even though I do not use their products.
Not going to worry about low humidity anymore. Not everything can be perfect and hadn't worried about low humidity for years.
My humidity was down to 48-53% and I was just trying to get it above 60% so not really necessary to do anything about it.
I don't like using my dehumidifier either, i kind of needed it in winter (low 40s) but now that I have a flood table and reservoir it might raise the RH enough..

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Im confused! How did this happen. Did you have this bucket up on a stand close to the light or did it get singed from your light being 1.2-1.6 meters above it? Makes no sense. Wouldnt think a 100w led could have a 'hot spot' to do that from 200mm let alone above a metre. Wouldnt the material have been moist? What actually happened?

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Im confused! How did this happen. Did you have this bucket up on a stand close to the light or did it get singed from your light being 1.2-1.6 meters above it? Makes no sense. Wouldnt think a 100w led could have a 'hot spot' to do that from 200mm let alone above a metre. Wouldnt the material have been moist? What actually happened?

Glad I am not the only one thinking this.. lol

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Bucket of water was on base of tent. White material draped over the side of the bucket so 1/3 in water and the 2/3 out of water hanging over the side and on the floor. The water is wicked to the dry material and so evaporation begins. I used the description " hotspot" due the way the damage looked. Seemed to me similar to a sun and magnifying glass burn. Lights used were 600w hps and 100w led bar. Bucket was sitting in the crossection of light. The material should of been moist but may have dried out a bit. Spontaneous combustion is a bizare concept to me, and so is this mystery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom