Very Interesting for anyone interested

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Dr Coco has been educating coco growers in the cannabis industry for many many years and despite being a bit of a dick he is without a doubt very knowledgeable when it comes to coco coir grows.

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I
Howdy's

I found this write up a couple weeks ago and have not stopped reading it.....( Now's the opening for the smart old codgers) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wow its a fantastic read and full of really good stuff ๐Ÿ‘

I've read enough and stopped at Coco is Not Soil. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿคฃ

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
If you like Dr Coco's, he is often a guest on the podcast Growcast with Jordan "Something". Some of his info I've found pretty useful on Coco for Cannabis.

I've read enough and stopped at Coco is Not Soil. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿคฃ

I think of coco coir as soil too. But in a lot of the more technical/scientific community it is considered a Soil-less Mix. I believe this is because it wasn't created in the ground by microbe life. Once it's mixed with compost and amendments, I too consider it soil....

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'd say the best way to quantify soil is by mineral content. Soilless mixes are pretty much all organic material (roughly 25/25/45/5 percent air/water/organic material/mineral content) with very little mineralization (think "half a cup gypsum, 1/3 cup palagonite for example") whereas soil is more in the realm of 45% mineral content and 5% organic from the topsoil layer, with air and water content staying roughly the same.

Of course we can break down soil into multiple classifications (eg top soil or mineral soil, big difference in organic content) but the vast mineral content is what makes a soil a soil at the end of the day. Soil has far more micronutrient content and generally lacks macros unless amended or top dressed regularly. The mineral/micro content is great for microbes. The lack of macros leads to more natural fixation through bacteria/fungi which help to convert atmospheric nitrogen and solubilize phosphate in absence of organic matter or salts, one of the reasons ill usually use a natural mineral soil as a base alongside some coco and compost.

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
To add to the discussion; apparently there is a difference between coco coir and coco peat something to do with which part of the husk is used or something, so the coco peat is kinda more like soil in the way it retains water and takes a while longer to dry out whereas the coir dries out faster and more pockets of air. Only used the peat so far mixed with about 20% perlite and it can definitely be overwatered but still much better than soil as it bounces back quicker from overwatering.

Top Bottom