US Surgeon General Says Stop Locking People Up For Marijuana

vostok

Blooming
User ID
The US nation’s top doctor said on Sunday that it’s time to stop incarcerating people for marijuana use.

“When it comes to decriminalization, I don’t think that there is value to individuals or to society to lock people up for marijuana use,” Surgeon General Vivek Murthy said in a CNN appearance. “I don’t think that serves anybody well.”
Murthy was answering a question about a new draft federal marijuana legalization bill that was circulated last week by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and other top senators.
While the surgeon general stopped short of endorsing full-scale commercial cannabis legalization, his comments do indicate support for an approach that would at least decriminalize low-level possession.
President Joe Biden, who opposes broad legalization, campaigned on a platform of incremental decriminalization and expunging past records, but has taken no steps to follow through on those promises since taking office.
“When it comes to marijuana, I think we have to let science guide us,” Murthy said in the CNN interview. “And we know that the science tells us that there are some benefits to marijuana from a medical perspective but there are also some harms that we have to consider—and we have to put those together as we think about the right policy.”

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
I think they're referring to how there are some people who have known or unknown pre-existing mental illnesses and Cannabis can exacerbate those issues. For the majority of users it's fine however it's the people with unknown illnesses like schizophrenia where weed brings it out in them and it can cause issues, sometimes to others.

I'm definitely not saying weed causes mental illness, it's just known to exacerbate.

I know that I have to be careful these days because 10 years ago I developed severe anxiety in situations where I'm around people I respect, it doesn't pop up often because I've usually got a BAC of ~.250 but if I'm stoned when it does, even without alcohol, it feels like I'm going into a mild psychosis and it can sometimes be debilitating for a little while. It's pretty scary when your own brain feels like it's mentally attacking itself.

I smoked a bunch when I was younger and had no issues, skating stoned, working stoned (remote working rules!), no problems at all. Great times, although something mysterious happened a while ago and I developed severe anxiety for some reason.

So if anyone else experiences anything like that, get it checked out, you could do yourself some damage otherwise.

To the rest of you, smoke on, you bunch of champs!

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I think they're referring to how there are some people who have known or unknown pre-existing mental illnesses and Cannabis can exacerbate those issues. For the majority of users it's fine however it's the people with unknown illnesses like schizophrenia where weed brings it out in them and it can cause issues, sometimes to others.

I'm definitely not saying weed causes mental illness, it's just known to exacerbate.

I know that I have to be careful these days because 10 years ago I developed severe anxiety in situations where I'm around people I respect, it doesn't pop up often because I've usually got a BAC of ~.250 but if I'm stoned when it does, even without alcohol, it feels like I'm going into a mild psychosis and it can sometimes be debilitating for a little while. It's pretty scary when your own brain feels like it's mentally attacking itself.

I smoked a bunch when I was younger and had no issues, skating stoned, working stoned (remote working rules!), no problems at all. Great times, although something mysterious happened a while ago and I developed severe anxiety for some reason.

So if anyone else experiences anything like that, get it checked out, you could do yourself some damage otherwise.

I'm over that piss weak excuse to keep it illegal. I that was genuine alcohol should be the first to be banned as it exacerbates mental illness far worse than weed!!

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
I'm over that piss weak excuse to keep it illegal. I that was genuine alcohol should be the first to be banned as it exacerbates mental illness far worse than weed!!
Yeah I agree. I'm not saying keep it illegal, but just as alcohol, people need to keep an eye on themselves.

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID

The shit the NSW health department went through after Kosowicz, apparently people ended up feeling persecuted because they ticked a certain box

vostok

Blooming
User ID

is this not the reason why its not legal in the UK as yet..?

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the laws in the UK (and some would say here too).
I spent the weekend trying to find out why... it seems the best I can tell, that CBG prevents statins(meds for the heart) working correctly
in fact CBG the best I can tell fails to flush statins from the liver, thus getting an 'overdose' of your statins at each dose
other claims are trying to say the same with THC, the truth no fuckers knows anything thus far

tokers are now dieing from THC (its been claimed google says what?) overdose in CO due mostly to thc edibles and their lack of understanding on using them

'Lack of evidence' holding back cannabis medicines'

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Interesting, thank you. I don't know anything about reported overdoses but I've heard edibles can be a bit wild if you don't wait a bit.

I'm inclined to maybe, maybe believe there may have been a couple of overdoses these days but that's only because I see these people doing concentrated wax dabs and stuff like that pushing the limits of consumption and it makes me wonder whether the human body is able to handle such high concentrations of all the cannabinoids. So it wouldn't surprise me.

But I haven't looked into so I can't say for certain.

vostok

Blooming
User ID

I have a current lab paper on this, but got distracted

If cannabis caused schizophrenia

Conclusions: The number of young people who need to be exposed to an intervention to generate NNP and prevent one case of schizophrenia will be even larger. The public health importance of preventing cannabis to reduce schizophrenia or psychosis remains uncertain. More attention should be given to testing the hypothesis that cannabis is related causally to psychotic outcomes, and to considering what strategies will be the most effective in reducing heavy cannabis use among young people.

Correlations between cannabis use and IQ change

CONCLUSION: Meier et al.’s (1) estimated effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use on IQ is likely biased, and the true effect could be zero. It would be too strong to say that the results have been discredited, but fair to say that the methodology is flawed and the causal inference drawn from the results premature. Furthermore, should a direct effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use remain after controlling for confounders, the Flynn–Dickens model suggests an alternative causal path through which this may occur. This model, too, would predict reduced IQ in so far as heavy, persistent, adolescent-onset cannabis use involves a culture and norms that raise the risk of dropping out of school, getting entangled with crime, and other such behaviors. Unlike a neurotoxic effect, however, this effect would be nonpermanent and mediated by the cognitive demands of different environments. Because the effect in this case would be a result of culture rather than pharmacology, it would also have different policy implications.

Top Bottom