Trying to germinate old seed

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
I realise it might be pretty unlikely, but I may as well give them a go as they’re what I’ve got… I have some old seed, about 17 years old, from the last time I grew anything. I have some Nirvana Northern Lights, White Label White Skunk and a few Lowryder x blueberry that were freebies. About 7 of each left.

Any suggestions on techniques to maximise the chance of germinating? Or is there a product I can buy that’ll possibly help?

Ive tried 24 hour soak in bottled water then paper towel in bag, heat mat in dark place. I’ve also tried the water from soaking cannellini beans, then paper towel etc. Also direct in soil. All with no success so far. I’ve only been trying a few at a time as I’m only planning on growing 2 at a time, but it’s looking like I may as well play the numbers game and do the rest in one or two attempts. I just wanted to check if there is anything else worth trying?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
Try scarification with sand paper ,,and give them constant warmth.

edit,,they could take a week and a half or two before they even open,
Thanks Sedge, yes I did hear about that, will definitely give it a try. Ok, looks like I may need to be a bit more patient too… Mmm probably ditched a few previous ones a bit early.

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
Fulvic acid in carbonated water can soften them up too.

I’ve got newish seeds that have taken 2 weeks to crack 🤣
Cheers Gazza. I’ll look into this and give it a go if I can find some. So when you say carbonated water, do you mean soda water or sparkling mineral water from a bottle? Also any suggested concentration for the fulvic acid? I’ll do some research..
Appreciate the suggestions mate

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Scuff the shells lightly with sandpaper. I roll sandpaper into a cigar shape( rough side inside). Place the beans in the cigar and roll them around for a minute. Then drop into a glass of water with a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide (3% available at supermarket). Hydrogen peroxide will soften the shell.

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Scuff the shells lightly with sandpaper. I roll sandpaper into a cigar shape( rough side inside). Place the beans in the cigar and roll them around for a minute. Then drop into a glass of water with a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide (3% available at supermarket). Hydrogen peroxide will soften the shell.
You just pop them inside and shake?

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
Cheers Old fox. This strategy will be my next attempt. I did see a video recently talking about hydrogen peroxide at 1% for the initial soak with good results. I have some in my cupboard so will see how it goes. Just hope my maths is right, going to do 33ml peroxide (3%) to 67ml water.

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
How u been storing those beans 4 last 17 yrs ??
Yeah that’s a fair question. Not in the fridge! They’ve been in the original little snap lock plastic bags, inside paper envelope, inside sealed Tupperware container, inside large plastic tub In the back of a cupboard..
How are my chances now 🤣

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Cheers Old fox. This strategy will be my next attempt. I did see a video recently talking about hydrogen peroxide at 1% for the initial soak with good results. I have some in my cupboard so will see how it goes. Just hope my maths is right, going to do 33ml peroxide (3%) to 67ml water.
I mentioned 3% hydrogen peroxide as it's the readily available strength off the supermarket shelf, for cheap price. I use about 1 tablespoon of that to a half glass of water. No need to try and get dilution strengths within a predefined range. It's worth trying to pop seeds of any age. Costs next to nothing, and in a glass of water you should know if they will open, within 4 days. I've found they usually drown ( i.e. shell softens, and they go mushy) after 4/5 days in a hydrogen peroxide solution. Seeds usually float when placed in a glass of water. 12-24 hours later, give them a few gentle taps, and they should sink. If they don't sink, wait another 12 hours, and try tapping them again.

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
I mentioned 3% hydrogen peroxide as it's the readily available strength off the supermarket shelf, for cheap price. I use about 1 tablespoon of that to a half glass of water. No need to try and get dilution strengths within a predefined range. It's worth trying to pop seeds of any age. Costs next to nothing, and in a glass of water you should know if they will open, within 4 days. I've found they usually drown ( i.e. shell softens, and they go mushy) after 4/5 days in a hydrogen peroxide solution. Seeds usually float when placed in a glass of water. 12-24 hours later, give them a few gentle taps, and they should sink. If they don't sink, wait another 12 hours, and try tapping them again.
Thanks Old fox I appreciate your help. Yeah I’ve already got the peroxide so worth a shot. I’ll give it a go with a bunch of seed after scarification but may also hunt down some fulvic acid that @Gazza suggested if this doesn’t work.
No worries, your proportions for the peroxide : water sound good to me.
Here‘s hoping at least a few pop!

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah that’s a fair question. Not in the fridge! They’ve been in the original little snap lock plastic bags, inside paper envelope, inside sealed Tupperware container, inside large plastic tub In the back of a cupboard..
How are my chances now 🤣
About the best they could be but 17yrs is long time
The old glass half full is the way 2 go, positive thoughts(y)

JimboBlu

Vegetating
User ID
About the best they could be but 17yrs is long time
The old glass half full is the way 2 go, positive thoughts(y)
Cheers mate, agreed. I’m not holding my breath but I am hoping they pop. It’ll feel a little like resurrection from the dead, maybe not to the extent of bringing back the dinosaurs, but the preservation of some old school genetics ain‘t a bad thing I recon

Top Bottom