Triploids: Long Suspected Now Proven - True

vostok

Blooming
User ID
In areas where hemp is grown, cultivation of seedless cannabis outdoors can be an impossibility! Nor are hemp growers happy about "marijuana" genes getting into their hemp genetics, creating unsellable "hot" hemp with a higher than 0.3% THC.

Well, these guys noted that triploids not only are (mostly) female sterile, but they produced more in the way of buds (inflorescence weight) than the same cross with normal numbers of chromosomes (diploid). So if you are in a hemp-growing area, a triploid marijuana might eventually provide the solution. (The downside, just like Montsanto's "Terminator" seeds, triploids insure repeat business for the seed vendor.)

Unfortunately if you want some, these triploid Cannabis seeds are not commercially available, so this is just a "heads up" for something that will pop up in the future.

Characteristics of the Diploid, Triploid, and Tetraploid Versions of a Cannabigerol-Dominant F 1 Hybrid Industrial Hemp Cultivar, Cannabis sativa 'Stem Cell CBG'. (USA) (full – 2021) Characteristics of the Diploid, Triploid, and Tetraploid Versions of a Cannabigerol-Dominant F1 Hybrid Industrial Hemp Cultivar, Cannabis sativa ‘Stem Cell CBG’
iu

Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) has recently become an important crop due to the growing market demands for products containing cannabinoids. Unintended cross-pollination of C. sativa crops is one of the most important threats to cannabinoid production and has been shown to reduce cannabinoid yield. Ploidy manipulation has been used in other crops to improve agronomic traits and reduce fertility; however, little is known about the performance of C. sativa polyploids. In this study, colchicine was applied to two proprietary, inbred diploid C. sativa inbred lines, ‘TS1-3’ and ‘P163’, to produce the tetraploids ‘TS1-3 (4x)’ and ‘P163 (4x)’. The diploid, triploid, and tetraploid F1 hybrids from ‘TS1-3’ × ‘P163’, ‘TS1-3 (4x)’ × ‘P163’, and ‘TS1-3 (4x)’ × ‘P163 (4x)’ were produced to test their fertilities, crossing compatibilities, and yields. The results indicated a reduction in fertility in the triploids and the tetraploids, relative to their diploid counterparts. When triploids were used as females, seed yields were less than 2% compared to when diploids were used as females; thus, triploids were determined to be female infertile. The triploids resulting from the crosses made herein displayed increases in biomass and inflorescence weight compared to the diploids created from the same parents in a field setting. Statistical increases in cannabinoid concentrations were not observed. Lastly, asymmetric crossing compatibility was observed between the diploids and the tetraploids of the genotypes tested. The results demonstrate the potential benefits of triploid C. sativa cultivars in commercial agriculture.

PDF HERE: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8234880/

FYI - Colchicine is poisonous. If you do plan to try a DIY, do the research first! Poisoning yourself to create some triploid cannabis plants, wouldn't be the brightest thing to do

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

vostok

Blooming
User ID
I've always suspected as such that extra leaf must lead to something extra...just proving it can be very difficult

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Sounds dangerously like the stupid shit Monsanto , Bayer or who ever their called this month does.
Their nothing but festering sores on the asshole of humanity!
Genetic manipulation and industrial farming is destroying our planet for a fast buck and that's the bottom line😷

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Sounds dangerously like the stupid shit Monsanto , Bayer or who ever their called this month does.
Their nothing but festering sores on the asshole of humanity!
Genetic manipulation and industrial farming is destroying our planet for a fast buck and that's the bottom line😷
Way behind the ashtray...you wanna fight GMO these days you gotta use GMO
All corn ..wheat, hops imported or grown in Aus is GMO if not they still use Roundup to keep the weeds out ...yeah Roundup=GMO
er including ALL autoflowers too ....maybe you like Porky are too old for this shit? ...or too fucking dumb

check you Roundup residue in your water you drink then water your plant then toke?

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Ah sorry no glyphosphate on my property , we drink from a1 spring water . We grow standard and heirloom Vegies .
We try and stay away from big Corp as much as possible here
Autos are not Gm !auto flowering is a trait of ruderalis .
No need for personal insults Vostock .
I'm sure we can converse without .✌🏻

Last edited:

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Ah sorry no glyphosphate on my property , we drink from a1 spring water . We grow standard and heirloom Vegies .
We try and stay away from big Corp as much as possible here
Autos are not Gm !auto flowering is a trait of ruderalis .
No need for personal insults Vostock .
I'm sure we can converse without .✌🏻
Indeed the pure Ruderalis is an autoflowering plant but once the breeder/grower crosses the 100% Ruderalis with a Photo-periodic ..That is GMO (genetically modified organism)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism I charge a lot for 12yo education

One of the biggest misconceptions about genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, is that they’re unnatural—the product of modern science and technology that has gone “too far.” Nothing could be further from the truth.
While mankind was still shivering in caves, awaiting the discovery of fire, nature was busy modifying the genetic structure of plants and animals. Nature has always had its own process of transferring genes from one species to another, in effect, creating GMOs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gmoanswers/2016/10/04/nature-and-gmos/?sh=6374345227f4
good luck

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Indeed the pure Ruderalis is an autoflowering plant but once the breeder/grower crosses the 100% Ruderalis with a Photo-periodic ..That is GMO (genetically modified organism)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism I charge a lot for 12yo education

One of the biggest misconceptions about genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, is that they’re unnatural—the product of modern science and technology that has gone “too far.” Nothing could be further from the truth.
While mankind was still shivering in caves, awaiting the discovery of fire, nature was busy modifying the genetic structure of plants and animals. Nature has always had its own process of transferring genes from one species to another, in effect, creating GMOs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gmoanswers/2016/10/04/nature-and-gmos/?sh=6374345227f4
good luck
Big difference between natural genetic modification to suit environment than what humans are doing.
Being the genius you consider yourself you would know that but!! 🤣

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Auto flowering cannabis is not gmo . It is Basic selective breeding of 2 types of cannabis plants over numerous generations .
look into how ya gmo corn is created in the lab ,like your industrial hemp .
My main concern on Gm hemp and sterile or terminator seeds is they are designed to make money not sustain human life !✌🏻

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
I think he is trying to make the point that the term genetically modified organism is in fact a very broad term, which technically can encapsulate what humans have been doing for a very long time with plants. Look into the history of bananas and how the original fruit would be almost inedible, mostly filled with seed if not for humans Genetically Modifying those Organisms to be more suitable for humans through generations of selctive breeding.

Just like with the term PGR, GMO gets thrown around when in fact people are referring to specific sub categories. Like stated above.

I mean fem autoflowers are themselves sterile and unable to be clones? Good for making the breeders money?

Is feeding fem plants chemicals to force them to produce pollen too far gone from natural ways? where do we draw the line?

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
I had a triploid seedling pulled it up because it was looking shithouse

anyway this is a good read about how diversity could be lost thru over hybridisation (bloody yanks with their og cookies crosses)

Quokk@

Vegetating
User ID
FYI - Colchicine is poisonous. If you do plan to try a DIY, do the research first! Poisoning yourself to create some triploid cannabis plants, wouldn't be the brightest thing to do
I was reading about this shit 45 years ago. Even then they recommended not consuming the flowers of that generation and breeding from it for polyployd traits in second gen at a minimum before consuming. Just be a better grower and stop fucking with genetic modification✌️

vostok

Blooming
User ID
I was reading about this shit 45 years ago. Even then they recommended not consuming the flowers of that generation and breeding from it for polyployd traits in second gen at a minimum before consuming. Just be a better grower and stop fucking with genetic modification✌️
Yawn ...your point?

Raniformis

Curing
User ID
Kinda like down syndrome, only a small percent of females are fertile and generally a touch overweight.... So chubby little spastic plants?

Are they picking on you Vostok? Bloody meanies 🙈

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Auto flowering cannabis is not gmo . It is Basic selective breeding of 2 types of cannabis plants over numerous generations .
look into how ya gmo corn is created in the lab ,like your industrial hemp .
My main concern on Gm hemp and sterile or terminator seeds is they are designed to make money not sustain human life !✌🏻
FYI selective breeding is gmo. Also majority of gm corn has been created via cross breeding. The there’s a reason companies like Monsanto/Bayer have thousands of acres of corn growing at any one time.

Last edited:

Ozcocoloco

Germinating
User ID
I had a triploid seedling pulled it up because it was looking shithouse

anyway this is a good read about how diversity could be lost thru over hybridisation (bloody yanks with their og cookies crosses)

There's no way to tell the difference visually between a Diploid ot Polyploid.

Top Bottom