Triploid strains hermies

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Funnily enough lots of growers have reported high numbers of hermaphrodites from triploid seed stock.
Never bought into the whole idea and I'm kind of against it (as interesting it is)

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
It's kind of funny seeing how 'triploid' is now the word of the day in the scene. To me, it's far from new. My dad had gout tablets (and I still have them somewhere) from the 80s which he got in the idea of mucking around with it and some seeds. The colchicine disrupts meiosis and increases ploidy.

This is common in many agricultural crops and has been for a long time. Now, breeders are starting to use it to create stable and or sterile seedstock. I'm skeptical of anytime I see drama online regarding a company and in particular this scene and everyone taking shots at each other. I'm still not sure who I trust given the continued bro science embedded in a lot of talk.

I've not watched the above vids, so take my comment with a grain of salt. But, I'm skeptical based on what I've read previously about this stuff and people being salty on that it may lock down genetics from the community due to sterility. Usually invoking Monsanto type business and such.

And regarding herms - well shit, we have a whole thread dedicated to that. I've got a triploid seedling on the go from GTR. I bought a bunch of their triploid strains - out of curiosity more than anything. Sterility isn't a concern, but hoping they are more uniform in phenotype. They also claim increased resin production etc.

It's fair to say though that applying colchicine to increase ploidy is a pretty brute force approach. It will take time to work out wtf they did to the genome and how it plays out. If it is proven that there is an increase in herming from these seeds, is it because of the original genetic mutation, or an artifact of the triploid nature of the cross. The fact of it being a triploid is probably not the issue, but how the mutation occurred and what effects it had.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
It's kind of funny seeing how 'triploid' is now the word of the day in the scene. To me, it's far from new. My dad had gout tablets (and I still have them somewhere) from the 80s which he got in the idea of mucking around with it and some seeds. The colchicine disrupts meiosis and increases ploidy.

This is common in many agricultural crops and has been for a long time. Now, breeders are starting to use it to create stable and or sterile seedstock. I'm skeptical of anytime I see drama online regarding a company and in particular this scene and everyone taking shots at each other. I'm still not sure who I trust given the continued bro science embedded in a lot of talk.

I've not watched the above vids, so take my comment with a grain of salt. But, I'm skeptical based on what I've read previously about this stuff and people being salty on that it may lock down genetics from the community due to sterility. Usually invoking Monsanto type business and such.

And regarding herms - well shit, we have a whole thread dedicated to that. I've got a triploid seedling on the go from GTR. I bought a bunch of their triploid strains - out of curiosity more than anything. Sterility isn't a concern, but hoping they are more uniform in phenotype. They also claim increased resin production etc.

It's fair to say though that applying colchicine to increase ploidy is a pretty brute force approach. It will take time to work out wtf they did to the genome and how it plays out. If it is proven that there is an increase in herming from these seeds, is it because of the original genetic mutation, or an artifact of the triploid nature of the cross. The fact of it being a triploid is probably not the issue, but how the mutation occurred and what effects it had.
Yeah should have mentioned wasn't having a stab at anyone who grows them and should also mention it's Humboldt seed co who is getting all the backlash..

Yeah used to see quite a few colchicine treatment grow diaries years ago, but for some reason HSC genetics seem like they are the 'pioneers' of triploid seeds in the market or at least it seems that way anyway

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Yeah should have mentioned wasn't having a stab at anyone who grows them and should also mention it's Humboldt seed co who is getting all the backlash..

Yeah used to see quite a few colchicine treatment grow diaries years ago, but for some reason HSC genetics seem like they are the 'pioneers' of triploid seeds in the market or at least it seems that way anyway
Oh yeah wasn't suggesting you were casting shade. It's a fair thing to discuss if it is an issue. And I'm into the science and tech so curious to understand what the go is when used in this crop.

With Humbolt being a bigger player and name recognition, they'll get the feedback first on issues - and the vids you post suggest that may be possible. The methodology of breeders doing triploids might be different, and source material could have an impact too. Early days for sure still. Maybe next round I'll pop all triploids from my GTR selection to see how theirs plays out for herming.

I've got one on the go now, but would be keen to test multiple strains from the same breeder

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Oh yeah wasn't suggesting you were casting shade. It's a fair thing to discuss if it is an issue. And I'm into the science and tech so curious to understand what the go is when used in this crop.

With Humbolt being a bigger player and name recognition, they'll get the feedback first on issues - and the vids you post suggest that may be possible. The methodology of breeders doing triploids might be different, and source material could have an impact too. Early days for sure still. Maybe next round I'll pop all triploids from my GTR selection to see how theirs plays out for herming.

I've got one on the go now, but would be keen to test multiple strains from the same breeder
Yeah well said. For all we know it's probably just an issue with Humboldt. Time will tell.. keen to see how the Hoku Triploids gošŸ‘

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I've been following the developments online. Yesterday the HSC CEO addressed the issue online. He reports that from 6000 triploid seeds, HSC has only received reports of 16 hermies? He has now changed the status/suitability of the triploids to recommend they should only be grown outdoors. However, his reasoning is that they grow too big in flowering, and outgrow nearly all indoor environments. This morning an affiliate company has sent an email to all customers who have purchased HSC triploids, and offering to send a replacement free pack to anyone that's bought the seeds( i.e due to beingreclassifiedfor outdoors only). I still haven't seen a single independent grow of the strain harvested. Like all things on the internet, absolutely no idea who to believe on this issue.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Yeah well said. For all we know it's probably just an issue with Humboldt. Time will tell.. keen to see how the Hoku Triploids gošŸ‘
Na they aren't Hoku - he hasn't got into that stuff, he's still traditional breeding.

GTR Seeds/Oregon CBD have been around for a while - at least as early as 2020 with triploid strains. They are more targeted at commercial growers so probably not much attention from the hobby community. I don't know anything about HSC, but from what I've read about GTR/Oregon CBD, is they are pretty solid in the science side of things and seem legit.

It's those guys I bought my triploid stock from.

GTR SeedsSour Lifter Seedless
GTR SeedsCitrus Slurp Seedless
GTR SeedsDerailed Seedless
GTR SeedsNOX Cookies Seedless
GTR SeedsPrivate Party Seedless
GTR SeedsTerp Poison Seedless
GTR SeedsSpiked PineCone Seedless
GTR SeedsTropicolada 4V Seedless

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I've been following the developments online. Yesterday the HSC CEO addressed the issue online. He reports that from 6000 triploid seeds, HSC has only received reports of 16 hermies? He has now changed the status/suitability of the triploids to recommend they should only be grown outdoors. However, his reasoning is that they grow too big in flowering, and outgrow nearly all indoor environments. This morning an affiliate company has sent an email to all customers who have purchased HSC triploids, and offering to send a replacement free pack to anyone that's bought the seeds( i.e due to beingreclassifiedfor outdoors only). I still haven't seen a single independent grow of the strain harvested. Like all things on the internet, absolutely no idea who to believe on this issue.
Yeah as the video mentions; they listened to the customers (took awhile but they came through) and refunded/replaced like AC infinity and their clicking fans.
Not trying to steer people away from HSC, if anything it shows they are willing to work things out with their customers, wouldn't expect that much from others.
If they didn't come through I could just imagine how blown up the situation could have gotten, which would be really bad for business..

I think they are a good company, never stop seeing all the rave reviews about their blueberry muffin etc and interestingly enough
Nathaniel (HSC) even mentions that he helped Humboldt Seed Org get going with a bunch of strains. So a lot of HSO seeds are basically HSC strains but chucked in Spain

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Funnily enough lots of growers have reported high numbers of hermaphrodites from triploid seed stock.
Never bought into the whole idea and I'm kind of against it (as interesting it is)

Isn't the selling point of these that they are unable to be pollinated?
So why would it matter if they were hermie?
Weren't they originally designed because of the large amount of hermies in modern fem seeds?
Must be all these growers with shitty stressful environments! šŸ¤”šŸ¤£

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Isn't the selling point of these that they are unable to be pollinated?
So why would it matter if they were hermie?
Weren't they originally designed because of the large amount of hermies in modern fem seeds?
Must be all these growers with shitty stressful environments! šŸ¤”šŸ¤£
Yeah that's very true porky, that's why the customers are pissed off..
So in the first video I think they explained more details in depth but from what I heard they can still make seeds, just way less than a regular hermie. 1 person reported 12 out of 17 herms at
$211 AUD for a 5 pack.. honestly I can't even get some plants to throw balls with STS so I probably shouldn't be discussing much šŸ¤£

Last edited:

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
On the topic of hermies, I just found my first hermie in years yesterday. A Crescendo x lilac diesel by ethos, also with leaf mutation. Binned it so as not to pollute the current seed runs
Is this from @Old fox seeds or stuff you bought directly from Ethos?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah that's very true porky, that's why the customers are pissed off..
So in the first video I think they explained more details in depth but from what I heard they can still make seeds, just way less than a regular hermie. 1 person reported 12 out of 17 herms at
$211 AUD for a 5 pack.. honestly I can't even get some plants to throw balls with STS so I probably shouldn't be discussing much šŸ¤£
Apparently they yield more than normal plants I've read. Some reports are as much as 40% more and have tested very high on thc and other cannabinoids.
I find the idea both interesting and scary!
$211 for 5 seeds is expensive but I assume a lot of work has gone into this.

Top Bottom