Something is wrong??

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Alright lads I've got a problem!! Yeah I've got heaps actually but this is a plants problem no a personal one!! 🤣

So everything I've grown since I started the back to 8 diary has show bad cal mag problems and have never grow well. The bigger plants in the pics are the ones that are over 4 months old the small ones are 3 weeks and were going well until like everything else since March has started to show cal mag deficiency after about 3 to 4 weeks.

The small plants are in 3 different mixes of potting mix from bunnings osmocote to green thumbs turbo dirt and about 30% perlite all showing the same problem which looks to be cal mag!
This leads to think it's not a root problem and I've pulled a 2 smaller plants and the roots were fine!

The bigger plants I've tried dolomite lime and Epson salts to raise the cal mag in the soil but it's show no effect.
I've tested the pH of everything and it's all fine at 6.7 to 7
Environment I can adjust and have it anywhere from high temps and humidity to warm temperature with low humidity.
I've played around with all of em over last few months and nothing has changed the look of the plants.
I'm going to plant 2 more seeds and just put them into straight perlite to totally eliminate root problems.
So gents what's going on??
I think I've covered everything but I'm open to any suggestions.
I'm wondering if something has gone in the spectrum of me lights or can a light spectrum even do this!!
I'm positive it's not environmental or root system and there is no pests whatsoever!!20220715_205311.jpg20220715_205305.jpg20220715_205242.jpg20220715_205240.jpg20220715_205224.jpg20220715_205215.jpg20220715_205204.jpg20220715_205202.jpg20220715_205154.jpg20220715_205146.jpg20220715_205139.jpg20220715_205134.jpg20220715_205121.jpg20220715_205115.jpg20220715_205103.jpg20220715_205057.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Those are some advanced nutrient deficiencies. What have u added besides water? Both mobile and immobile nutrient deficiencies. Ca, Fe, B and K are (adding Mg on its own probably will only make this worse) and potentially Mn. I'm guessing really high sodium and maybe magnesium causing the severe K lockout, low Ca available due to low temperatures and maybe high magnesium... Id start by dialling VPD and soil moisture... Get soil tension to 100mbar and see if Ca issues clear up, in turn potentially helping to ease the Fe deficiency. Some good worm castings topdressed too help cycle some locked up nutrition that the plant really needs.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Those are some advanced nutrient deficiencies. What have u added besides water? Both mobile and immobile nutrient deficiencies. Ca, Fe, B and K are (adding Mg on its own probably will only make this worse) and potentially Mn. I'm guessing really high sodium and maybe magnesium causing the severe K lockout, low Ca available due to low temperatures and maybe high magnesium... Id start by dialling VPD and soil moisture... Get soil tension to 100mbar and see if Ca issues clear up, in turn potentially helping to ease the Fe deficiency. Some good worm castings topdressed too help cycle some locked up nutrition that the plant really needs.
That's what i was thinkin

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah but these plants are in 3 different types of soil. And have been treated and watered the same. They are definitely not overly wet which would be causing the problems. All 3 soils have 30% perlite and drain very well.
The larger plants I've played with different saturation levels over the past 4 months and as I said above the plants have shown no improvement. If it was summer ide stick a few outside.
The small plants have had nothing but water added and I know from using these soils before that there is definitely enough nutrients to sustain small plants till at least week 5 to 6 without them looking like they do after 3 weeks.
The larger plants did the exact same thing around week 3 to 4.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Of course it’s a poor environment.. can’t blame the lights mate :)
The environment is perfect and as I said I can manipulate it to suit. Right now it's 60% humidity and 23c. Also I've done a few other runs here and everything grew fine.
Im not even sure lights could do this to plants!!
These were all grown in the exact same environment conditions and everything was fine!!20210906_155951.jpg20211001_093032.jpg20211013_223414.jpg

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Yeah but these plants are in 3 different types of soil. And have been treated and watered the same. They are definitely not overly wet which would be causing the problems. All 3 soils have 30% perlite and drain very well.
The larger plants I've played with different saturation levels over the past 4 months and as I said above the plants have shown no improvement. If it was summer ide stick a few outside.
The small plants have had nothing but water added and I know from using these soils before that there is definitely enough nutrients to sustain small plants till at least week 5 to 6 without them looking like they do after 3 weeks.
If you're watering until drainage in a living soil, or any potting soil that's not a hydroponic medium, you're leaching nutrients from the soil, hence the obvious nutrient deficiencies on display.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
The environment is perfect and as I said I can manipulate it to suit. Right now it's 60% humidity and 23c. Also I've done a few other runs here and everything grew fine.
Im not even sure lights could do this to plants!!
These were all grown in the exact same environment conditions and everything was fine!!View attachment 25141View attachment 25142View attachment 25143
Same soil used in this run as the deficient run? What's the main variable here? Also, Dr. Greenthumb or any "supersoil" like that will already contain 30% aeration component... Adding another 30% is going to be a bit much porosity I'd think

R3za92

Baked
User ID
What’s your tap ph and ec? Seeing as it’s 3 different soils I’d guess it’s either an issue with the water or they’ve all got some kind of infection/virus. No root rot? Might be worth getting your water tested for mineral content, most pool places or pet shops can do it.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
23c under LED is not the right environment. Lack of water movement through the plant probably causing Ca issues.
Yup, there's obvious K and Ca issues.
What’s your tap ph and ec? Seeing as it’s 3 different soils I’d guess it’s either an issue with the water or they’ve all got some kind of infection/virus. No root rot? Might be worth getting your water tested for mineral content, most pool places or pet shops can do it.
Some look better than others... One looks like Mg, another Ca and K... Some look like a combo of severe K and Ca deficiencies with N toxicity. Without knowing what's been added nutrient wise, it's impossible to troubleshoot really.

Top Bottom