Soils ain't soils - Bunnings, supermarkets, specialty stores, compost?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
it is totally your right to make any choices for your self , no problem what so ever but casting aspersions over other people is over stepping ,

if you'd said these soils are a little expensive for you there would be no issue what so ever with that comment but to say it's over priced implies you have insight into producing a commercial quantity of potting soil when you don't

how's life up there on your own high horse dude
Amazing up here.

I also think hlg lights are overpriced and buy cheap boards. Are you going to have a cry about that too and go all pro business feelings on me?

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
(S)oils ain't (s)oils. Valvoline 🏆. Not much itchy doesnt know about soils, so I think he'd have a fair idea of effort/cost to produce. A passing comment from a casual commentator may unduly influence other customer perceptions of product value. For instance, I won't pay $20 for a cannabis seed......but if it's IBL or at least stabilised to f4 ( or beyond), somebody has put in a shitload of effort to get there, and $20 starts to look very reasonable. Something about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
If I have to pay $100 for 2.5 pots of medium I don't care "what goes into producing a large scale product" and frankly I don't give a flying fuck. I'm a cheapskate and it's not my job to care about other people's profit margins and overheads when I decide whether something is overpriced personally.

Get off your high horse mate.
So what are you studying mate and why are you bothering? :unsure:

Is it to obtain skills and knowledge that will put you in a position to gain a job in your desired area? To put you ahead of the competition that hasn't spent their time/money to gain the knowledge that you will have?

Do you think you'll feel the same if after you graduate employers tell you that you're over priced and they can get a lesser skilled person to do the "same job" for cheaper? Will you be offering you're services at a "reduced rate" to keep things cheap for people who don't value/understand your knowledge or the time/effort you put into gaining it? 🤷‍♂️

2spytj.jpg

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
Ci
So what are you studying mate and why are you bothering? :unsure:

Is it to obtain skills and knowledge that will put you in a position to gain a job in your desired area? To put you ahead of the competition that hasn't spent their time/money to gain the knowledge that you will have?

Do you think you'll feel the same if after you graduate employers tell you that you're over priced and they can get a lesser skilled person to do the "same job" for cheaper? Will you be offering you're services at a "reduced rate" to keep things cheap for people who don't value/understand your knowledge or the time/effort you put into gaining it? 🤷‍♂️
Fuck you guys are pussies. So I think $30 pots of medium are overpriced.
Cope and seethe.

Get a fucking life.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Amazing up here.

I also think hlg lights are overpriced and buy cheap boards. Are you going to have a cry about that too and go all pro business feelings on me?
I live for petty disagreements lol.
Ci

Fuck you guys are pussies. So I think $30 pots of medium are overpriced.
Cope and seethe.

Get a fucking life.
Us vicious apes are a real threat to society when we dare question the price super soil. Absolute heathens.

good on ya champ (y)

User ID
(S)oils ain't (s)oils. Valvoline 🏆. Not much itchy doesnt know about soils, so I think he'd have a fair idea of effort/cost to produce. A passing comment from a casual commentator may unduly influence other customer perceptions of product value. For instance, I won't pay $20 for a cannabis seed......but if it's IBL or at least stabilised to f4 ( or beyond), somebody has put in a shitload of effort to get there, and $20 starts to look very reasonable. Something about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.
I think in the end the only reason why someone would buy "super soil" is because they can't produce it themselves or are not dedicated to effort of making their own.
Arguing about the quality of bought soil is pointless because every brand is going to be different and charge a different amount.

But if we stay on the Original Post, I don't think bunnings sells pre made "super soil" and if they did....personally i don't think i would buy bagged soil because i just dont know whats in it.

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
bunnings sell potting mixes. Soils by definition are made up of a majority of inorganic particles. Sand, clay etc.
isn't an average soil something like 5% organic material, 45% mineral/inorganic content and the rest air/water? Thats partly why I use yard soil. Plants seem to like the mineralization. The absolute mass of organic material (wood chips especially) is partly the reason those mixes leech N so much.

mushrooms

Germinating
User ID
what about if you 2 guys wanted to make your own soil available to the public ,

how much worm castings / compost would you need to make ? ,

how much land /factory space would be required to produce a large amount of it ?

how much would the ingredients cost to feed / make castings or compost ?

what amendments would you add & how much do they cost ? ,

how many employees do you need to make the mix if making by hand ?

if you use a mixing machine how much is the machine ?

how much is lab testing ?

how long will product testing take ?

how many bags used for testing at no return ?

will you need to borrow money , how much are loan repayments ?

employees , super . work cover , wages , vehicles ?

the list can go on & on ,

so how much do you reckon you'll charge for your 25 liter bag of potting soil ?
are you ok?
it's just if you don't want to buy a pre made soil mix that's your choice no problem at all but don't go suggesting something is to expensive when you have no idea what go's into producing a large scale commercial product

that's great , now how would you go producing tonnes per year , got enough kitchen scrapes & backyard garden waste to make that happen ya reckon ?

I would have no interest in making my 'soil' available to the public as cannabis moved me into wanting to be more in the garden and develop a relationship with nature and be more sustainable and efficient, it's not about $$$ it's about being more natural and learning for myself while enjoying reaping what I sow. Cannabis really helped turn a new page in my life and when I tried to get some locally it was hydro crap, burnt the throat, not cured well, some short-flowering Indica that made me unproductive and was obviously grown as a cash crop by God knows who. Those types of people are a parasite and I didn't want to support them.
I instead studied strains, terpenes, climates, nutrition, NPK and countless other things to help me understand cannabis/gardening and hunt strains that would benefit me personally; I wanted to learn what I was going to put into my body.
Years later people are using PGR only validating what I foresaw with these cash crop growers.

The reality is if you make your own quality organic super soil and see your plants flourish then see the quality in your harvest you will be more inspired to put in the work to keep doing this, at least that is what I've learnt going from synthetic fertilisers to organic. Dare I mention the quality in the flower?

You might not have the land or time available to do this for yourself, well that's okay... here in Australia farmers are everywhere! you can easily source some aged cow/horse/chicken/sheep manure that some places happily give away for free or little to nothing.
Before I did my own organics I bought 25L worm castings from someone on gumtree and those came with tones of red composting worms.

Stupid people allow themselves to be exploited and capitalized on, they then try to debate they're not stupid by arguing, they feel personally attacked because you've shined a light on what they chose to invest into... It's called cognitive dissonance.

You could live of fruit and vegetables bought from your major supermarkets or you could make your own soil, grow your own and see the huge difference in quality.
Huge plump sweet tomatoes growing by the hundreds simply grown at home being watered daily compared to the stuff at the supermarkets... It's almost like those supermarkets want natural food to taste unappealing and be less nutritious while having more manufactured junk 'food' being promoted across the entire store.

We live in a generation where businesses need returning customers and it's gotten to the point they introduce problems so they can simultaneously offer 'solutions' and it's a scheme to drain your wallet while they masquerade as your benefactors.

I can see the hydro enthusiast pulling his hair out over NPK, PH, nutrient burn, salt build up, light burn, lockouts, flushing, different strains having different requirements etc. having his windows covered stressing out over power bills having to meet his quota at harvest then his next door neighbour walks outside every couple of days to water his plants with the hose completely care free.

what about if you 2 guys wanted to make your own soil available to the public?
Sorry, not for sale. Oh you want to also grow your own high quality cannabis that only needs to be given tap water till harvest? let me help you into investing into a more natural way of living and hopefully you too will learn what I've learnt along my journey and you will encourage other people to be more self sufficient, loving, conscientious and overall a better quality human being when you walk the walk. If I choose to reap what I sow then sell my harvest what are you sowing for yourself? you're going to continue being self-entitled expecting you can buy out any goodness brought about by others instead of doing it yourself and if we take a good look at the world and the people running it they clearly have more than enough money but the world is a very dysfunctional, unloving, dog-eat-dog place isn't it? Perhaps I would be even more happier if I could encourage others to embark on a journey that makes them flourish. At some point money won't come to mind because a better quality of life cannot be bought or sold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom