Soils ain't soils - Bunnings, supermarkets, specialty stores, compost?

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Bastards like you Frank, walk into Bunnings, rip a corner off potting mix, look at contents with disgust, and drop it all over the floor. Disgusting environment to be eating a sausage sanga 🇦🇺
My fingers strong enough to poke through the bag now. lol

It all depends what soil you have in your yard, very few would suitable to play a large part in something meant for pots in my opinion, mainly due to it being too fine causing lack of air issues. Roots need as much air as water.

I am not against wood based mixes nor pine bark based mixes. I think they are fantastic, N drawdown really isn't an issue it can be quantifiable and addressed through slow release forms of N. What a lot of common potting mixes lack is enough CEC and surface area for large cohorts of microbes to break down the organic inputs and then hold em long enough for example a full flower cycle. But they are also not formulated for that purpose, they are largely meant to be fed through CRF or liquid feeds.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
isn't an average soil something like 5% organic material, 45% mineral/inorganic content and the rest air/water? Thats partly why I use yard soil. Plants seem to like the mineralization. The absolute mass of organic material (wood chips especially) is partly the reason those mixes leech N so much.
that was a reply to you forgot to add you

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
My fingers strong enough to poke through the bag now. lol

It all depends what soil you have in your yard, very few would suitable to play a large part in something meant for pots in my opinion, mainly due to it being too fine causing lack of air issues. Roots need as much air as water.

I am not against wood based mixes nor pine bark based mixes. I think they are fantastic, N drawdown really isn't an issue it can be quantifiable and addressed through slow release forms of N. What a lot of common potting mixes lack is enough CEC and surface area for large cohorts of microbes to break down the organic inputs and then hold em long enough for example a full flower cycle. But they are also not formulated for that purpose, they are largely meant to be fed through CRF or liquid feeds.
That's exactly why it cut my yard soil 50/50 with long fibre Coco and cut it with some pumice or perlite. Makes an incredibly fluffy mix..the fine sand content makes it pack down way too much without it.

It does have a nice amount of hypoaspis though. No gnats since. Basically the main reason I'm using it. Way too many bags of potting mix filled with gnats and root aphid larvae in my past.

Last edited:

Pixie

Baked
User ID
are you ok?

I would have no interest in making my 'soil' available to the public as cannabis moved me into wanting to be more in the garden and develop a relationship with nature and be more sustainable and efficient, it's not about $$$ it's about being more natural and learning for myself while enjoying reaping what I sow. Cannabis really helped turn a new page in my life and when I tried to get some locally it was hydro crap, burnt the throat, not cured well, some short-flowering Indica that made me unproductive and was obviously grown as a cash crop by God knows who. Those types of people are a parasite and I didn't want to support them.
I instead studied strains, terpenes, climates, nutrition, NPK and countless other things to help me understand cannabis/gardening and hunt strains that would benefit me personally; I wanted to learn what I was going to put into my body.
Years later people are using PGR only validating what I foresaw with these cash crop growers.

The reality is if you make your own quality organic super soil and see your plants flourish then see the quality in your harvest you will be more inspired to put in the work to keep doing this, at least that is what I've learnt going from synthetic fertilisers to organic. Dare I mention the quality in the flower?

You might not have the land or time available to do this for yourself, well that's okay... here in Australia farmers are everywhere! you can easily source some aged cow/horse/chicken/sheep manure that some places happily give away for free or little to nothing.
Before I did my own organics I bought 25L worm castings from someone on gumtree and those came with tones of red composting worms.

Stupid people allow themselves to be exploited and capitalized on, they then try to debate they're not stupid by arguing, they feel personally attacked because you've shined a light on what they chose to invest into... It's called cognitive dissonance.

You could live of fruit and vegetables bought from your major supermarkets or you could make your own soil, grow your own and see the huge difference in quality.
Huge plump sweet tomatoes growing by the hundreds simply grown at home being watered daily compared to the stuff at the supermarkets... It's almost like those supermarkets want natural food to taste unappealing and be less nutritious while having more manufactured junk 'food' being promoted across the entire store.

We live in a generation where businesses need returning customers and it's gotten to the point they introduce problems so they can simultaneously offer 'solutions' and it's a scheme to drain your wallet while they masquerade as your benefactors.

I can see the hydro enthusiast pulling his hair out over NPK, PH, nutrient burn, salt build up, light burn, lockouts, flushing, different strains having different requirements etc. having his windows covered stressing out over power bills having to meet his quota at harvest then his next door neighbour walks outside every couple of days to water his plants with the hose completely care free.

what about if you 2 guys wanted to make your own soil available to the public?
Sorry, not for sale. Oh you want to also grow your own high quality cannabis that only needs to be given tap water till harvest? let me help you into investing into a more natural way of living and hopefully you too will learn what I've learnt along my journey and you will encourage other people to be more self sufficient, loving, conscientious and overall a better quality human being when you walk the walk. If I choose to reap what I sow then sell my harvest what are you sowing for yourself? you're going to continue being self-entitled expecting you can buy out any goodness brought about by others instead of doing it yourself and if we take a good look at the world and the people running it they clearly have more than enough money but the world is a very dysfunctional, unloving, dog-eat-dog place isn't it? Perhaps I would be even more happier if I could encourage others to embark on a journey that makes them flourish. At some point money won't come to mind because a better quality of life cannot be bought or sold.
I like Indicas

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
are you ok?

I would have no interest in making my 'soil' available to the public as cannabis moved me into wanting to be more in the garden and develop a relationship with nature and be more sustainable and efficient, it's not about $$$ it's about being more natural and learning for myself while enjoying reaping what I sow. Cannabis really helped turn a new page in my life and when I tried to get some locally it was hydro crap, burnt the throat, not cured well, some short-flowering Indica that made me unproductive and was obviously grown as a cash crop by God knows who. Those types of people are a parasite and I didn't want to support them.
I instead studied strains, terpenes, climates, nutrition, NPK and countless other things to help me understand cannabis/gardening and hunt strains that would benefit me personally; I wanted to learn what I was going to put into my body.
Years later people are using PGR only validating what I foresaw with these cash crop growers.

The reality is if you make your own quality organic super soil and see your plants flourish then see the quality in your harvest you will be more inspired to put in the work to keep doing this, at least that is what I've learnt going from synthetic fertilisers to organic. Dare I mention the quality in the flower?

You might not have the land or time available to do this for yourself, well that's okay... here in Australia farmers are everywhere! you can easily source some aged cow/horse/chicken/sheep manure that some places happily give away for free or little to nothing.
Before I did my own organics I bought 25L worm castings from someone on gumtree and those came with tones of red composting worms.

Stupid people allow themselves to be exploited and capitalized on, they then try to debate they're not stupid by arguing, they feel personally attacked because you've shined a light on what they chose to invest into... It's called cognitive dissonance.

You could live of fruit and vegetables bought from your major supermarkets or you could make your own soil, grow your own and see the huge difference in quality.
Huge plump sweet tomatoes growing by the hundreds simply grown at home being watered daily compared to the stuff at the supermarkets... It's almost like those supermarkets want natural food to taste unappealing and be less nutritious while having more manufactured junk 'food' being promoted across the entire store.

We live in a generation where businesses need returning customers and it's gotten to the point they introduce problems so they can simultaneously offer 'solutions' and it's a scheme to drain your wallet while they masquerade as your benefactors.

I can see the hydro enthusiast pulling his hair out over NPK, PH, nutrient burn, salt build up, light burn, lockouts, flushing, different strains having different requirements etc. having his windows covered stressing out over power bills having to meet his quota at harvest then his next door neighbour walks outside every couple of days to water his plants with the hose completely care free.

Sorry, not for sale. Oh you want to also grow your own high quality cannabis that only needs to be given tap water till harvest? let me help you into investing into a more natural way of living and hopefully you too will learn what I've learnt along my journey and you will encourage other people to be more self sufficient, loving, conscientious and overall a better quality human being when you walk the walk. If I choose to reap what I sow then sell my harvest what are you sowing for yourself? you're going to continue being self-entitled expecting you can buy out any goodness brought about by others instead of doing it yourself and if we take a good look at the world and the people running it they clearly have more than enough money but the world is a very dysfunctional, unloving, dog-eat-dog place isn't it? Perhaps I would be even more happier if I could encourage others to embark on a journey that makes them flourish. At some point money won't come to mind because a better quality of life cannot be bought or sold.
The Mushroom manifesto.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
are you ok?

dude your preaching to a preacher , you prob need to re read what i was saying in all the posts cos doesn't sound like you understood my point which had nothing to do with buying or making people buy anything from anyone

I'm going to guess I've been making soils / potting mixes / castings / composts / bokashi / Korean natural farming & Jadam ferments , growing my own fruit , veg & leafy greens while you were in primary school

I'm happy for you cannabis has opened your eyes , it has done the same for many before you , we are all standing on the shoulders of giants , some paid for there cannabis passion with jail time & all the negatives that means for the individual , there families & friends , & for the record i ain't talking about those commercial operators I'm talking about people just like you , me & many others on this site

i appreciate your enthusiasm but honestly i can't be stuffed

all the best to ya

Humuc

Germinating
User ID
Kids in primary school used to make less noise then some of you guys/gals 🤣.

No need to put so much energy debating who’s preference is correct.

If you don’t want to buy pre established organic soils, don’t.

If you want a low cost organic soil make your own with scraps and castings.

Or if you want to fast track a living organic soil - buy an organic microbial solution with an organic feed supplement.

Everyone has their own preferences in growing. Don’t argue over it. Just accept it.

Hum

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Kids in primary school used to make less noise then some of you guys/gals 🤣.

No need to put so much energy debating who’s preference is correct.

If you don’t want to buy pre established organic soils, don’t.

If you want a low cost organic soil make your own with scraps and castings.

Or if you want to fast track a living organic soil - buy an organic microbial solution with an organic feed supplement.

Everyone has their own preferences in growing. Don’t argue over it. Just accept it.

Hum
Don’t forget us pagans that grow in coco, or the DWC heathens😉

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
QUOTE;
—————————————————————————————————-
yeah my next door neighbour is a real cunt and just doesn’t appreciate why I pull my hair out.
Fuck him and his fancy watering hose.😂

mushrooms

Germinating
User ID
dude your preaching to a preacher , you prob need to re read what i was saying in all the posts cos doesn't sound like you understood my point which had nothing to do with buying or making people buy anything from anyone

I'm going to guess I've been making soils / potting mixes / castings / composts / bokashi / Korean natural farming & Jadam ferments , growing my own fruit , veg & leafy greens while you were in primary school

I'm happy for you cannabis has opened your eyes , it has done the same for many before you , we are all standing on the shoulders of giants , some paid for there cannabis passion with jail time & all the negatives that means for the individual , there families & friends , & for the record i ain't talking about those commercial operators I'm talking about people just like you , me & many others on this site

i appreciate your enthusiasm but honestly i can't be stuffed

all the best to ya
You're right, I didn't understand your point and got the wrong impression at first glance and I'm sorry for that.

Stiritup420

Vegetating
User ID
In regard to the OP Yes. There are things you can use at bunnings. Not soils in bags but there are things you can use.

I Used Canna terra for a long time and tried a lot of different methods.. This worked the best! I bought worm castings from bunnings and mixed it 4 parts terra 1 part Castings.. Plants need nothing more than water till week 3-4 flower. Then i used 2-3 table spoons of another bunnings product.. From memory it was a yates bag of dry amendment with potash in it.. Fantastic healthy plants and killer buds..

Back doing coco now but will always fall back on the Canna terra and worm castings if i want to grow organic on a budget..

Master Parker

Germinating
User ID
Hi all,

What Aus. acquired soils are you using?

I believe you are better off mixing your own. I buy a fert free bagged potting mix from Bunnings then sieve some of the course stuff out. If you go to your local landscape yard most have spent mushroom compost (in Qld anyways) from farms and this stuff is amazing. I mix thirds of potting mix, vermiculite for drainage and air filled perosity and mushy. I then mix in worm castings, blood and bone, kelp meal and some of the shell grit I feed my chooks or crusher dust. This more or less lasts the whole grow with minimal extra inputs if your pot size is correct.

Top Bottom