Shed insulation.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Chasing some advice please.

Looking to line a garden shed as a grow space... well maybe half a garden shed, but still would like to insulate the entire space.

Shed is 3mx3m. 1.9m side walls, 2.2m peak height.

No real intention to grow through the peak of summer, but just to keep it at a reasonable temp the rest of the year and through winter.

needs to have not only thermal properties, but be nice if it also deadens noise a bit to mask fan noise and any pumps etc.

I have been considering foilboards. they seem light weight enough, easy fixing, but not sure if they will be adequate for South East Queensland.

have seen some roll type insulation also, which apparently sticks to the surface, but i fear it will just peel off with heat, so my initial preference is for rigid boards.

I did also consider framing it with timber, using some type of wool insulation and then sheeting it internally with fibro or similar... but surely in this day and age there is a quicker and easier solution?

appreciate any advice. ;)

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID

Looking to line a garden shed as a grow space... well maybe half a garden shed, but still would like to insulate the entire space.

No real intention to grow through the peak of summer, but just to keep it at a reasonable temp the rest of the year and through winter.

needs to have not only thermal properties, but be nice if it also deadens noise a bit to mask fan noise and any pumps etc.

I have been considering foilboards. they seem light weight enough, easy fixing, but not sure if they will be adequate for South East Queensland.

have seen some roll type insulation also, which apparently sticks to the surface, but i fear it will just peel off with heat, so my initial preference is for rigid boards.

I did also consider framing it with timber, using some type of wool insulation and then sheeting it internally with fibro or similar... but surely in this day and age there is a quicker and easier solution?

I had a place in Melbourne where the previous owner lined a shed with 2" thick sheets of polystyrene - walls and ceiling.
He used it as his workshop - big space with 3 phase power - 4 car garage size. Anyway - he did a great job. It was warn in there with a small heater in the depths of winter. Also good soundproofing. Never grew in there but taught saxophone in there for a few years.

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
If you did go down the path of timber, wool insulation and some sort of plywood or something cheap (not sure what fibro is) you wouldn't be disappointed
edit: unless you have a kit shed then probably not

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I had a place in Melbourne where the previous owner lined a shed with 2" thick sheets of polystyrene - walls and ceiling.
He used it as his workshop - big space with 3 phase power - 4 car garage size. Anyway - he did a great job. It was warn in there with a small heater in the depths of winter. Also good soundproofing. Never grew in there but taught saxophone in there for a few years.

The foilboards are filled wth it... by itself may not work. its not UV resistant and is also highly flammable..

If you did go down the path of timber, wool insulation and some sort of plywood or something cheap (not sure what fibro is) you wouldn't be disappointed
edit: unless you have a kit shed then probably not

yeah i know.. its just so much more work. !!

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Maybe try expanding foam, idk how much it would cost to do the shed but it's used as insulation I'm pretty sure as well as boat floatation, there's aerosol stuff (probs more expensive buying them that way) or 2 part buckets which need mixing up (probably cheaper in the long run). Could get some plywood formed up and pour the 2 part foam mix in to make your insulated walls or even just spray the aerosol stuff on the walls for a little insulation and sound dampening.
Check it out on eBay under 'expanding foam'

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
In the same boat mate!
Same part of the world...
Same 3x3 shed...

My advice would be to just dont
grow over the summer period, mid
November till mid February.....

...always nice to have a break from

growing over summer anyway...

I use summer as a time to start seeds
or clones to get ready for
Autumn/winter grow...

...as for noise, I wrap a doona around inline fan, reduces the noise 80% easy! I am using 10inch gear at 50% power but...

...10$ box fan makes more fukin noise then anything!

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Double insulated with a air cavity in-between would be my preference. But no good for that size shed, as it'd encroach on the internal dimensions too much.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
If the budget is unlimited. I'd line the shed with foilboard or similar like snapper mentioned. Then a 6 or 8 inch air cavity, but with your shed might have to get that back to 4. Then either knock up a frame like you mentioned, and use batts, then internal grow room walls would be Blueboard.

Otherwise, 75mm (or better) fridge panelling, or similar.

But that may still be inefficient. Just depends on how much the shed gets belted by the sun. If the shed semi shaded in the afternoon, that'd be a bonus.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
do the work bill , i'm with @benn0 , i did this with 2/3's of a tin 2 car garage
i lined the inside , walls & ceiling had thick pink bats & plaster board
if its a tin shed you'll always need cooling on warm days & heating on cool days/nights
unless you can shade the tin from the sun
noise was never a problem outdoors with exhaust & intake fans running

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
OK so this is going back a while (20+yrs) I worked for a charity, we had to clear out a few rental properties. One had a 3x3 shed and someone knocked off the fuckin door and only the door ???. Owner said recycle the whole shed and he'd claim it on insurance, so I recycled it, my way. I used steel c-channeling, making a frame for each wall panel. I bought a couple of bails of pink batts, filling the frames holding the batts in place with string then securing them with the same board as the foilboard, but painted white. (Silver does reflect but it also reflects dark colours, white reflects only white light.) In each corner I used 100mm x 100mm square tube as the pillar/corner pole.

Like I say, that was 20 something years ago I made them up. The mrs and I bought a place out in the sticks with a huge shed, which my 3x3 fits inside of nicely and I still use that very same 3x3 as my growspace today. The idea was if we ever moved again, because I made the 3x3 shed into individual insulated panels, undo the corners (4 bolts in each corner pole) and I've got myself a flatpack growroom, ready to go.
We never did move again :LOL:

The Happy Camper

Germinating
User ID
How about some conduit pipe bent from the the ground on oneside of the shed, over the top to the other side. Sort of like a polly tunnel but with your 3x3 in the middle. Cover with shade cloth. Plant passionfruit etc etc grow over.

exoskeleton shade cover the shed........sort of deal. :)

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
De ja va. Vaguely remember this topic a little while back here.

In my garden shed, I used 65mm fire proof foam panels, double sided foil. Fixed straight to the timber rails and purlins giving a 50mm cavity to the cladding. left 6mm gaps between joins/junctions and filled with fire proof expanding foam, rasped off and silver taped joins. Been pretty good, much better than the other 2 boxes I grow in.

Foam panel size was 2700 x 1200 and got em for $50 each from ebay (locally) from an owner builder who got a shipping container full from overseas. Reckon they'd be pricey and hard to find otherwise. Just come up at exactly the right time.

Dunno about foam render panel, Must have some sort of fire retardent in it but the rendered coating is probably needed to gain the rating. Cool room panels would be the safest best. I reckon one could hunt up some old 2nd hand ones for fuck all.

Squire

Curing
Community Member
User ID
How about some conduit pipe bent from the the ground on oneside of the shed, over the top to the other side. Sort of like a polly tunnel but with your 3x3 in the middle. Cover with shade cloth. Plant passionfruit etc etc grow over.

exoskeleton shade cover the shed........sort of deal. :)
Yes up north they place what they call a tropical roof over a caravan annex usually Shade cloth . Made a huge difference in summer. Needed about 30 cm gap between roof and shade cloth.

R3za92

Baked
User ID

Foil boards will help but also suck. Iā€™d frame it out and go something like a roll or 2 of earthwool and a roll of sarking foil. Combined you should get up to a r6-10 or something like that.

Pixie

Baked
User ID

Get some good old asbestos sheeting the older the better especially the old stuff that's starting to flake and crumble away. Imagine the awesome trichomes you're going to get on your plants they'd be frosty as fuck šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Hudo

Baked
User ID
if you go to the extent of frame and sarking you can a product called hardie fire it's a fire proof mineral wool. Ive used it a get times on zero lot walls or between town houses that needs to be fire rated

Top Bottom