Shameful Chinesium illumination haul

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Just picked up two quantum boards off kogan for $71 each. $98 all up after credits cashed in. Nice heavy sink for the price, good build quality, LCD display, three spectrum modes, 10 stage dimming and digital timing. Lm281 diodes, 320 but 288 active in seedling and veg and 304 active in bloom.
IMG20230429120129.jpg
IMG20230429120133.jpgIMG20230429120151.jpg
Three spectrum's (seed/veg/bloom)
IMG20230429121249.jpgIMG20230429121317.jpgIMG20230429121306.jpg
Never heard of the driver brand, but look very similar to sosens drivers. Ip65 and oil coated board. Preliminary testing shows the driver sitting at 46c set to 70% in 24c ambients in an 77x47x92 tent (according to the LCD display). I'll update when I test intensities and temps under full load.

I plan to run a few watermelon sugars from 7 east or forum haze fems when the black lime is done. Will be a budget bonanza. $204 for a 120x60x180 tent and 300w worth of 281b.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Just picked up two quantum boards off kogan for $71 each. $98 all up after credits cashed in. Nice heavy sink for the price, good build quality, LCD display, three spectrum modes, 10 stage dimming and digital timing. Lm281 diodes, 320 but 288 active in seedling and veg and 304 active in bloom.
View attachment 34525
View attachment 34526View attachment 34527
Three spectrum's (seed/veg/bloom)
View attachment 34528View attachment 34529View attachment 34530
Never heard of the driver brand, but look very similar to sosens drivers. Ip65 and oil coated board. Preliminary testing shows the driver sitting at 46c set to 70% in 24c ambients in an 77x47x92 tent (according to the LCD display). I'll update when I test intensities and temps under full load.

I plan to run a few watermelon sugars from 7 east or forum haze fems when the black lime is done. Will be a budget bonanza. $204 for a 120x60x180 tent and 300w worth of 281b.
Well your game mate! I wouldn't touch those if ya paid me!

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'm almost drawn to danger my friend. I've found some pretty bangin' deals in the process though lol. Like the 85w, 225 diode "281b" (3000k,5000k,660nm and UV) 600x100 lights for $30 off eBay haha. I assumed there was zero way they were legit.

Me mums cranking them in her loungeroom for a herb garden as the possums are Intolerable and invincible at hers lol..

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
How do you know they are LM281 diodes?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
How do you know they are LM281 diodes?
They probably aren't, but the solder matches on the PCB. Not really phased if they aren't as it puts out a decent par for next to nothing. They'll get used for a run and thrown in the closet with the copious other lights. At the end of the day, roughly 800umol/a at 14" for $49 is worth my time to test. Tbh, I like having spare lights to swing to friends and family as well.

Kinda like graphics cards, CPUs and brushless speed controllers... My collection is getting crazy.

I wouldn't really expect complete honestly from whatever shady ass company re sells these.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Waiting for someone to build an Aussie electric vehicle from parts bought off Wish. Fred Flintstone sandals for brakes. Yabba, dabba, doo. What could possibly go wrong 💣

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Waiting for someone to build an Aussie electric vehicle from parts bought off Wish. Fred Flintstone sandals for brakes. Yabba, dabba, doo. What could possibly go wrong 💣
There is a chance they'll get close to their destination very quickly, just in the air and on fire lol.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
They probably aren't, but the solder matches on the PCB. Not really phased if they aren't as it puts out a decent par for next to nothing. They'll get used for a run and thrown in the closet with the copious other lights. At the end of the day, roughly 800umol/a at 14" for $49 is worth my time to test. Tbh, I like having spare lights to swing to friends and family as well.

Kinda like graphics cards, CPUs and brushless speed controllers... My collection is getting crazy.

I wouldn't really expect complete honestly from whatever shady ass company re sells these.
I would have thought if they were actually using Samsung LM281 diodes then they would have mentioned it somewhere. All they list them as is "new SMD technology".

Personally I think your assumption is wishful thinking @ that price point 🤷‍♂️.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I would have thought if they were actually using Samsung LM281 diodes then they would have mentioned it somewhere. All they list them as is "new SMD technology".

Personally I think your assumption is wishful thinking @ that price point 🤷‍♂️.
I just made the assumption as I've seen ads for a light what looks identical (if we go by the slides lol) to this mentioning 281b diodes in the past but it all means nothing at this price considering the manual literally shows a different diode layout and so does the description. At this price I take all of it with an ocean of salt. In fact I'm pretty sure there's three different diode layouts displayed on the slides and manual lol.

I like to know what shady ass manufacturer actually makes these as I've seen them advertised as advwin, oppsbuy and updayday over the last year or so and the rest just disappeared into thin air lol.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Defo not 281b. Same pin out and solder dimensions, no notch on the corner of the diodes. Puts out pretty decent light for whatever they are though and don't get too hot considering.

Always come in handy for basically $50 as I'll regularly set up an extra tent here and there and pop seedlings for gifting and move them in around week three. Me mates manage to flower better than I but can't start a plant for shit lol.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
I'm with you porky 💯 I'm running the mars hydro 600 actual 100 and it cost 250 bucks from memory and it has ❤️‍🔥 issues apparently I've had for over 3 years.

I'm not sure if that was the best choice youve made today bro ,✌️✌️👍😁

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Haha I've been using chinesium for years with no issue. Before these it was Three 150w kingbrites, a maxkon 240w board (same as the techplex 240w I've got here), a maxkon 100w and a few random 60-80w bar lights. The plants don't seem to mind the moment, the par is quantifiable and the fire risk is exciting.

I think the most I've paid for a light is $300, and that was the maxkon 240w. 301b diodes, meanwell driver. The kingbrites are all 281b/sosen.

Same with me tents. Got 9 here and some have been used non stop for two and a half years. Never paid over $80. No rips, tears or zipper issues. Finally forked out for a Seahawk and it came ripped so I just kept up the chinesium.

Me mates hate it. They spend like over a grand for a 2x4, light and fan and end up pulling half what I do with $300-400 setups lol.
I'm with you porky 💯 I'm running the mars hydro 600 actual 100 and it cost 250 bucks from memory and it has ❤️‍🔥 issues apparently I've had for over 3 years.

I'm not sure if that was the best choice youve made today bro ,✌️✌️👍😁

Top Bottom