Pollen Collection

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Whats everyones Techniques on collecting pollen? In the past I've just put my reversed plant in with another and shook the shit out of it. But now I need to collect and store because I don't have an extra tent big enough

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I wait till they are almost ready to pop then I’ll break heaps off ,
put them in a fine strainer to collect what comes out ,the rest I dry for a day or two then break them up in the strainer to collect what’s left,,
When you say strainer you mean like a tea strainer ?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
A tea strainer will work but let it’ll let other shit through ,,so need to seperate that shit out as it’ll have moisture in it ,,pollen has to be as dry as you can get it, if for storage.
But if your using it strait away don’t worry about separating it

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
If there's enough visible pollen just shake the plant over a sheet of greaseproof paper. Don't use plastic as static will have pollen sticking to it. Air dry for 2 days then store it on baking paper in a container in frost free freezer. For low pollen plants you can pick individual pods with tweezers as they open, and tap them onto baking paper, to release the pollen. It's just slow and painful as you need to do this over 4-5 days to collect enough for storage.

Djinn129

Germinating
User ID
In the past I've waited until the flowers look ready to open or even some have just started, then cut the flower bunch off stem and all whole and put into paper bags to dry for a while and flowers open. When enough opened hold bag closed and shake it well so pollen comes away into bag, them can pull the main plant material out. Pollen in the bag will still need bits of plant material separated, especially if you shake real hard lol. I mixed my pollen with 50/50 plain flour for moisture protection and stored in freezer inside air tight container with those moisture absorption things.
Method worked at the time but this was years ago so interested to see what others do these days too!

Hudo

Baked
User ID
If there's enough visible pollen just shake the plant over a sheet of greaseproof paper. Don't use plastic as static will have pollen sticking to it. Air dry for 2 days then store it on baking paper in a container in frost free freezer. For low pollen plants you can pick individual pods with tweezers as they open, and tap them onto baking paper, to release the pollen. It's just slow and painful as you need to do this over 4-5 days to collect enough for storage.
I just need to store it long enough for plants to be ready to pollinate. When I have enough I will put a couple plants in the small tent where these are

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Misses came home with some orchids yesterday and I noticed they were all closed except one. Having dinner tonight i notice another 2 were open and had dropped pollen and I had a thought will it work for collecting pollen on weed. So the following experiment was conceived. Plastic jar with lid half lilled with water and a fee holes in it to stick branches in hanging over baking paper. I'm assuming it will work.20230804_213732.jpg

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Misses came home with some orchids yesterday and I noticed they were all closed except one. Having dinner tonight i notice another 2 were open and had dropped pollen and I had a thought will it work for collecting pollen on weed. So the following experiment was conceived. Plastic jar with lid half lilled with water and a fee holes in it to stick branches in hanging over baking paper. I'm assuming it will work.View attachment 37373
Might need to give the pods a bit of a light tap as they're opening, so all pollen is released from the pods.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Might need to give the pods a bit of a light tap as they're opening, so all pollen is released from the pods.
Right thanks for the tip. I was getting to paranoid with them in there the main tent and the tent there in is side by side I mean I want seeds but not a whole crop worth 😆

Hudo

Baked
User ID
The 2 dehumidifiers in the tote with them should drag the Humidity down its been raining here last couple days and it's a bit high and the lid will stop and airflow blowing it around
20230804_213751.jpg

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Forgot to give an update I took this pic last week but forgot trying to organise going away. The box worked well but instead of waiting for it to drop I would pull them off and use the strainer technique. This worked well for me having them close to the flower room meant I didn't have to worry about stray pollen. It's been 2 weeks since I dusted halg an Incredible Bulk with pollen from a clone of itself and other half with tropicana cookies× crescendo and as of Thursday I could see seed pods forming and have about this much left of IB. 20230824_112729.jpgI used what I had left of tropicana cookies × crescendo to dust a Skunk Hero clone

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Forgot to give an update I took this pic last week but forgot trying to organise going away. The box worked well but instead of waiting for it to drop I would pull them off and use the strainer technique. This worked well for me having them close to the flower room meant I didn't have to worry about stray pollen. It's been 2 weeks since I dusted halg an Incredible Bulk with pollen from a clone of itself and other half with tropicana cookies× crescendo and as of Thursday I could see seed pods forming and have about this much left of IB. View attachment 38022I used what I had left of tropicana cookies × crescendo to dust a Skunk Hero clone
If undiluted, that's heaps

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
When you say Dilute what do you dilute it with and why
I've never diluted, but some growers add dry flour. Primary reason is for ease of application/spreading so all the pollen isn't concentrated on a single cola or two. I believe it also has benefit to inhibit moisture

Top Bottom