Pest id

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Whitefly, maybe?

Never had them myself to know for sure. But I do get smashed outdoors here by a larger white moth, after first decent rain in Spring/Summer. Two weeks after their visit, you start going on a caterpillar hunt. Hope you're not looking at a similar issue?

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Yeh that's the little buggers for sure.

I've never had them before but they seem in very small numbers on a couple of plants I just cut down.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I think so. They seem to get named as one of the common pests. But yeah, I've never dealt with them to know.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Probably the hardest of all , the more yellow sticky pads you have the best , you'll catch them by the thousands and thousands left
They quickly multiply do they Mick?

I've found perhaps ten or so and between my blow torch, electric tennis racket and the vacuum cleaner I definitely fucked their world up but I'd feel much better if I could reach intergenerational extermination if that's possible.

I'm really not sure if the punishment fits the crime or I'm just nieve about their ability to wreck a grow.

Are they something to beware of mate?

Madmick

Baked
User ID
They quickly multiply do they Mick?

I've found perhaps ten or so and between my blow torch, electric tennis racket and the vacuum cleaner I definitely fucked their world up but I'd feel much better if I could reach intergenerational extermination if that's possible.

I'm really not sure if the punishment fits the crime or I'm just nieve about their ability to wreck a grow.

Are they something to beware of mate?
Yep they're cunnts of things , they breed very quickly and in b8g numbers
Put up a few yellow pads , you'll know very quickly after a light's out exactly what's in there and their numbers

I hope you're right , they not too bad , but the fuckers come out light's out , I'm feeling you only got a very small amount of what's truly in there

I struggled to control them , especially when in summer , in the end I gave up and just tried to limit numbers

Eradication was only achieved by cleaning the room out and leaving it idle for 4 wks and starting with seedlings

Never go into your outside garden then check your tent

GlennT_59

Blooming
User ID
"Never go into your outside garden then check your tent"

YES......THis ☹️

............. or don't bring plants from outside garage tent to indoor tent :rolleyes: d'oh!

I brung some plants from garage tent to indoor tent and got those little white fly fuckers inside, lucky I saw them quick and blasted the Offsprings "pretty fly for a white guy" and got rid of em all ............ LOL seriously though I been keeping an eye on em and they seem to be gone after chucking lotsa yellow stiucky things and 2 sprays of neem oil early on.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Yep they're cunnts of things , they breed very quickly and in b8g numbers
Put up a few yellow pads , you'll know very quickly after a light's out exactly what's in there and their numbers

I hope you're right , they not too bad , but the fuckers come out light's out , I'm feeling you only got a very small amount of what's truly in there

I struggled to control them , especially when in summer , in the end I gave up and just tried to limit numbers

Eradication was only achieved by cleaning the room out and leaving it idle for 4 wks and starting with seedlings

Never go into your outside garden then check your tent
Are they like fungus gnats in that they lay their larvae in the medium?

I noticed something had been nibbling on my leaves and I assume it was them, is that what they feed on or is there something else they're attracted to?

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
" Both the adult and nymph form of whitefly feed on leaf, bud and stem sap. Affected plant parts turn yellow and streaky. Leaves can curl and wilt which affects plant growth. Whitefly can also spread viruses from plant to plant as they feed. "
borad mite riding white fly.JPG
these are broad mites hitching a ride on a whitefly
yellow sticky traps as mentioned above & adding potassium silicate to your waterings , & foliar sprays when not in flower

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Are they like fungus gnats in that they lay their larvae in the medium?
No, they don't lay their larvae in the medium but rather the underside of the leaves and often down low where the direct heat of the lights is less (They don't like the direct heat). This is one of the reasons I strip the undergrowth out, it eliminates the more temperate zones they like. So check the underside of the leaf, they like to hide. If you can see 1 or 2, there's more like 20-30 hiding.

Others have suggested using the yellow sticky strips and, yep, they do do the trick if caught early. If the infestation is bad, pyrethrum works well, just remember to spray when your lights are off and don't forget to spray the underside of the leaves too.

Itchybro is correct in that they feed on the sap rather than the leaf, they leave little bleached out white patches on the leaf where they've been feeding. With a bad infestation it looks a bit like dandruff on the leaf surface.

Last edited:

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
No, they don't lay their larvae in the medium but rather the underside of the leaves and often down low where the direct heat of the lights is less (They don't like the direct heat). This is one of the reasons I strip the undergrowth out, it eliminates the more temperate zones they like. So check the underside of the leaf, they like to hide. If you can see 1 or 2, there's more like 20-30 hiding.

Others have suggested using the yellow sticky strips and, yep, they do do the trick if caught early. If the infestation is bad, pyrethrum works well, just remember to spray when your lights are off and don't forget to spray the underside of the leaves too.

Itchybro is correct in that they feed on the sap rather than the leaf, they leave little bleached out white patches on the leaf where they've been feeding. With a bad infestation it looks a bit like dandruff on the leaf surface.
Thank you kindly Merlin pyrethrum is a natural product, right?

Top Bottom