perlite

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I was looking at a supplier called Ausperl. They have different grades of perlite in 100L bags - P200, P400, P500. What's the difference. I thought a bag on standby would be useful for the next soil mix, can't be worse than the last.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I was looking at a supplier called Ausperl. They have different grades of perlite in 100L bags - P200, P400, P500. What's the difference. I thought a bag on standby would be useful for the next soil mix, can't be worse than the last.
Just the size of granules/particles. I prefer to use the larger granules. ( coarse) as less flies away. Makes no difference to my growth/speed whatever size I use. Looked at my perlite bag, but there's no "P" number on it. Just says coarse. Any size will do, I just find coarse less messy.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Just the size of granules/particles. I prefer to use the larger granules. ( coarse) as less flies away. Makes no difference to my growth/speed whatever size I use. Looked at my perlite bag, but there's no "P" number on it. Just says coarse. Any size will do, I just find coarse less messy.
Hm, thanks Fox. I wonder which way the numbers run? Betta email them. Cheers.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Hm, thanks Fox. I wonder which way the numbers run? Betta email them. Cheers.
Need to wash the fine dust off perlite before use. Fine white dust size particles in the bag, and they'll harden like concrete in medium if not flushed with water. Poke a few small holes in bottom of bag, and run hose through top for 5-10 mins, until no more dust/white liquid runoff - the runoff will go clear

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
As Oldfox states, perlite needs to be washed prior to use. That fine dust covers everything including roots, when it gets wet it acts like a grinding paste and can be real harsh on pumps.
One thing with perlite is that over time, with the fluid washing through it is that it compresses down. That compression blocks off many of the air pockets the finer roots need. To reduce this I use a layer of (well washed) clayballs in the base of my pots. The clayballs are fired, so they don't compress, keeping those air pockets available.

Merl1n

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Need to wash the fine dust off perlite before use. Fine white dust size particles in the bag, and they'll harden like concrete in medium if not flushed with water. Poke a few small holes in bottom of bag, and run hose through top for 5-10 mins, until no more dust/white liquid runoff - the runoff will go clear
That explains why the perlite I added to my soil mix made no difference to the looseness of the soil. I just bunged it in.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I got some specs on the perlite. The 1-7mm pumice looks interesting for an indoor soil additive.

perlite n stuff.png

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I've just made the move to pumice over perlite for the mix I'm using. I like their 4-20 grade ;) as it's a good mix of sizes/shapes. It's a fair jump up in price from perlite, but I think it performs better and holds it's position in the soil (unlike perlite over time).

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I'm using about 10% rice hull in the mix aswell, as they are good for aeration + they add silica as they break down (y)

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I'm using about 10% rice hull in the mix aswell, as they are good for aeration + they add silica as they break down (y)
What sort of size is ya pumice??
Probably last a longer than perlite too ya reckon?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I've just made the move to pumice over perlite for the mix I'm using. I like their 4-20 grade ;) as it's a good mix of sizes/shapes. It's a fair jump up in price from perlite, but I think it performs better and holds it's position in the soil (unlike perlite over time).
Wouldn't ya know it, 4-20 is out of stock. Did you buy it all Pikey?

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Another good tip about perlite is if u add about an inch 2 bottom of fabric pot not only helps with drainage but when it comes time 2 re-pot, and u turn existing pot upside down, u will see a lot of roots exposed in perlite, gently brush excess away and much easier 2 apply microbes 2 roots
This will also give u extra inch or 2 of new soil in new pot

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Another good tip about perlite is if u add about an inch 2 bottom of fabric pot not only helps with drainage but when it comes time 2 re-pot, and u turn existing pot upside down, u will see a lot of roots exposed in perlite, gently brush excess away and much easier 2 apply microbes 2 roots
This will also give u extra inch or 2 of new soil in new pot

Apply microbes?

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey buddy, i'm probs not the best 2 talk about this stuff
Lotsa big words and i'm flat out spelling my own name
A lot of ppl like 2 innoculate their roots with mycrohrizza which is a type of microbe or lots of diff microbes
Dusting ure roots after carefully removing perlite is one option
If u wanna know more just google great white [not farking jaws but]
I found the stuff actually makes a diff, but supa expensive

Top Bottom