Not sure what's up with my seedlings?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
hey @Yamumzbum i wasn't aware the AC Infinity had this function but many grow room controllers now have VPD so you can connect up humidity & de-humidity units , fans , lights etc so you have total control of your room which is really good

leaf surface a couple degrees different than room temp sounds about right , light spectrum can change leaf temp as well as room temp but going by what the plant is telling you is best practice , taking an average from multiple points is what you should do , if that average is 22c that's what you enter

What's up @Hudo just because blumats are available doesn't mean you should or have to use them , many would say learning to hand water would give you a good base to work from , like anything mate you can get full on or not , some guys will go buy a cheap set of golf clubs & go have a hack around with there mates , while others will start the same & then want more from themselves & get lessons , buy better clubs & so forth & so on , you can make it as complicated as you like , i was one of those guys who wanted more & to do better , that's me , you need to find your path & if your wanting to explore that rabbit hole then if it were me i'd be in head first , chips all in , but find your path & be happy brother , your path doesn't need to be compared to others because it's yours and yours alone

Hudo

Baked
User ID
What's up @Hudo just because blumats are available doesn't mean you should or have to use them ,
I hear ya I think the blumats will be a good investment solely because of the amount of travel we do. Like now I'm in Sydney now and the only person I have to babysit cant even grow grass let alone anything else lol

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Good input fellas. A few answers now...

I do have a few Fungus Gnats, but not heaps. I keep an eye on them with yellow sticky cards and periodically use some of that GNatural. I don't think there is enough gnats to be an issue. I did overwater earlier, but gnats have faded as the soil dried out.

Someone mentioned White Flies, I've never found a bug in my tent that wasn't a Fungus Gnat or an occasional ant or spider. No flying bugs except the gnats. The "white stuff" I think might just be reflections off the foliar spray droplets.

Someone also mentioned VPD and measuring the temperature from the leaf surface vs the tent air. Admittedly, I'm just using the air temp and I do know that the leaf surface is a more accurate method. However, even if the leaves are a couple degrees cooler than the air, the VPD is still in a comfortable zone. I've got my new AC Infinity fans, humidifier, and controller running and my tent has never been more stable. I reckon temp/RH/VPD are probably not the issue here.

I'm most suspicious of either a N-toxicity or K-deficiency. Maybe one of these nutrient issues could have been caused by the earlier overwatering? If I've got too much nitrogen, and this seems a good possibility, I think plain watering is my only real option. Just watering and waiting for the plants to use the nitrogen up. Unless there is something organic I can add to tie-up some nitrogen?

I can get my hands on a soil test kit that does NPK+pH. Might give us an answer or at least rule out some possibilities...

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Fuck this soil experiment is starting to rabbit hole
Best thing is to test your base soil, Mehlich 3, saturated paste plus ammonium and nitrate. Then add some amendments to supply NPK
Good input fellas. A few answers now...

I do have a few Fungus Gnats, but not heaps. I keep an eye on them with yellow sticky cards and periodically use some of that GNatural. I don't think there is enough gnats to be an issue. I did overwater earlier, but gnats have faded as the soil dried out.

Someone mentioned White Flies, I've never found a bug in my tent that wasn't a Fungus Gnat or an occasional ant or spider. No flying bugs except the gnats. The "white stuff" I think might just be reflections off the foliar spray droplets.

Someone also mentioned VPD and measuring the temperature from the leaf surface vs the tent air. Admittedly, I'm just using the air temp and I do know that the leaf surface is a more accurate method. However, even if the leaves are a couple degrees cooler than the air, the VPD is still in a comfortable zone. I've got my new AC Infinity fans, humidifier, and controller running and my tent has never been more stable. I reckon temp/RH/VPD are probably not the issue here.

I'm most suspicious of either a N-toxicity or K-deficiency. Maybe one of these nutrient issues could have been caused by the earlier overwatering? If I've got too much nitrogen, and this seems a good possibility, I think plain watering is my only real option. Just watering and waiting for the plants to use the nitrogen up. Unless there is something organic I can add to tie-up some nitrogen?

I can get my hands on a soil test kit that does NPK+pH. Might give us an answer or at least rule out some possibilities...
I'm happy to help give my 2 cents as to the source of the issue... Can you tell us what your mix is made up of?

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
My soil is a Cootes-like organic mix, aka Living Organic Soil. 1/3 each peat, compost, and aeration (expanded clay + rice hulls). The various minerals and other amendments are mostly from a Organic Gardening Solutions no-till amendment kit. The kit has the same ingredients most no-till people use, just premixed. I also occasionally add microbes, fulvic, gypsum, frass, coconut husk, and small amounts of other things. This bed is on it's 3-4th run and I reamend after each run with compost and a few cups of the amendment mix.

There is one pair of organic liquid fertilizer bottles I use and maybe the nitrogen from these is too much when added to the compost. Ocean Grown Fish Hydrolysate (NPK 2.5 : 1.5 : 0.3) and Deep Sea Sugar & Kelp (NPK 0.1 - 0 - 1.36). I have been using them moderately, but maybe that is still too much. I'll stop with them.

Upon reading further on N-toxicity, weak stems is often mentioned. My stems are a bit weak and soft. Could be the strain or could be another sign I'm overdoing the nitrogen...

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Definitely sounds like there's too high a concentration of nutrients probably from the over application of amendments between and during cycles. U should completely stop adding any more inputs and keep the soil moist. EC will climb as the media dries

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I think you're right DNG and that is my plan. Nothing but water until they look happier. I plan on watering small amounts more frequently to keep the soil moist and help dilute the nutrient build up. I had planned on flipping the lights this week, but I'm going wait an extra week or two. Hopefully the still vegging plant can suck up the nitrogen before the flowering phase. But I've got height issues, so I can only do this for so long...

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
It's been a couple of week with water only, no ferts etc. Plants look happier and leaves feel healthier. Still got all the yellow serrations, but those might be more permanent like scars. Flipped the lights to 12/12 a couple days ago and we're heading towards flowering. No info really available about this strain (Chem1 x Triangle Kush from CSI), so I hope she doesn't stretch too much with the extra veg time! They were slow growers, so crossing my fingers for low stretch....

20230530_181827.jpg

Old Ant

Vegetating
User ID
It's been a couple of week with water only, no ferts etc. Plants look happier and leaves feel healthier. Still got all the yellow serrations, but those might be more permanent like scars. Flipped the lights to 12/12 a couple days ago and we're heading towards flowering. No info really available about this strain (Chem1 x Triangle Kush from CSI), so I hope she doesn't stretch too much with the extra veg time! They were slow growers, so crossing my fingers for low stretch....

View attachment 35476
Let the fun beginšŸ¤—šŸ„³šŸ¤©

Top Bottom