New beginnings in FNQ

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
Hi guys..its my first post here..what a great forum..!

I have an back blocks acreage with my missus on the coastal lowlands in FNQ and havent grown or smoked weed for many years now....kids have left home now and we have found ourselves wondering what we do with ourselves now that its only us to look after and worrry about ..

So we do enough work from home to scrape by and pay the bills, plenty of gardening and food/fruit growing and love fishing....

But been feeling that life would be a little more chill sitting back with some nice homegrown buds of an evening...

Had a bit of a google and was blown away by all the strains available....I had no idea ..certainly different from my younger days of growing a patch of bushweed from random seeds that came out of the bottom of a bag....nowadays it seems to be mostly geared to indoor growing with more compact plants and quick flowering though and I have no idea where to start and which varieties are suitable.

So I'm hoping to gain a bit of knowledge off members here of whats available that will easily grow for me in the great outdoors and just give us a nice mellow high...

I'd love to hear some ideas from any outdoor growers particularly in the tropics with its unique challenges of high rainfall and humidity..I see there are a couple of seedbanks available here and would appreciate any recommendations of varieties that are available from these that may grow in my conditions...its doing my head in trying to figure out that Baked bean sticker site...man what a tripper..:ROFLMAO:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
Cheers guys..I have spent the morning looking at the forum particularly the outdoor section...seems like there are a few of you guys that do well outdoors so looking to learn plenty and hopefully even share a bit of my ups and downs...

Anyway I have just put in an order with BakedBeans so will update about the journey ahead as it happens..

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Welcome along FNQ fellah
Acreage along coast, no kids, homegrown veges......sounds like u got it made already buddy...[did i mention no kids ?]
Only bit of advice i can think of is unless u wanna grow trees in the ground is use fabric pots
At least then u can move em around during downpours and even grab some shade when gets 2 hot up ure way
U should be able 2 grow just about anything in tropical climate, but like anything the more u research, the easier it gets......good luck

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Oh yeah one more thing, think u'll find general concensus on here is try not 2 get caught up in autoflowers being your friend as a beginner
They can provide real headaches if ure unsure, better 2 pick up your feelers again with photoperiod plants
A lot more forgiving

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
Cheers Bob..yes mate just looking for some strains that let nature take its course ATM..also didnt need feminised seed either as I'll keep some pollen for some seed production..

Was just drooling over the pics of your plants on another thread...are they in coco-peat/perlite mix...?.

What growing-media do you find the best for germinating seeds from these mail order seed suppliers ..?..

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yep, just a mix of canna terra and coco and 20% perlite

With seeds i've found just pure coco works ok but u gotta germinate seeds 2 get a tap root first which there's a hundred diff ways of doing

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
hey Bob do you mean like on some moist paper towel or something..?..Mate, why is that rather then just in a seed tray of peat or seed raising mix..?

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
As i said mate, there's a hundred diff ways of doing it
Whatever works 4 u
What i meant is i've always had more success germinating indoors in controlled enviroment than chucking seed in ground and hoping 4 best
U still gonna get a hundred ppl swearing that's best way, i was just saying what works 4 me
Experiment and see what works 4 u
Personally i chuck between damp make-up remover pads cover with cling wrap, and on top of fridge 4 two-three days

Cheech

Vegetating
User ID
Hi guys..its my first post here..what a great forum..!

I have an back blocks acreage with my missus on the coastal lowlands in FNQ and havent grown or smoked weed for many years now....kids have left home now and we have found ourselves wondering what we do with ourselves now that its only us to look after and worrry about ..

So we do enough work from home to scrape by and pay the bills, plenty of gardening and food/fruit growing and love fishing....

But been feeling that life would be a little more chill sitting back with some nice homegrown buds of an evening...

Had a bit of a google and was blown away by all the strains available....I had no idea ..certainly different from my younger days of growing a patch of bushweed from random seeds that came out of the bottom of a bag....nowadays it seems to be mostly geared to indoor growing with more compact plants and quick flowering though and I have no idea where to start and which varieties are suitable.

So I'm hoping to gain a bit of knowledge off members here of whats available that will easily grow for me in the great outdoors and just give us a nice mellow high...

I'd love to hear some ideas from any outdoor growers particularly in the tropics with its unique challenges of high rainfall and humidity..I see there are a couple of seedbanks available here and would appreciate any recommendations of varieties that are available from these that may grow in my conditions...its doing my head in trying to figure out that Baked bean sticker site...man what a tripper..:ROFLMAO:
Hello mate fellow FNQ member there are a lot of new sativa hybrids I've found on my recent education on the new strains, a lot has been crossed with the old Durban poison creating Girl Scout Cookies and all the other cookie type crosses,I reckon look for a sativa dominant hybrid to defend against molds etc.
Thai crosses work well up here, and they are popular on the net.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
When I lived in Darwin I used to grow all mine in the dry season they wouldn't be monsters but atleast you didn't have to battle mold and powdery mildew I'd start them off inside for about 3 weeks then put them out

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
Hello mate fellow FNQ member there are a lot of new sativa hybrids I've found on my recent education on the new strains, a lot has been crossed with the old Durban poison creating Girl Scout Cookies and all the other cookie type crosses,I reckon look for a sativa dominant hybrid to defend against molds etc.
Thai crosses work well up here, and they are popular on the net.
Thanks for the advice man..I'll look into those you have recommended ...do you grow them outdoors and when do you try and pick them....I imagine they would rot if you planned on picking buds in full on wet season period ..?..

QLD guy

Vegetating
User ID
When I lived in Darwin I used to grow all mine in the dry season they wouldn't be monsters but atleast you didn't have to battle mold and powdery mildew I'd start them off inside for about 3 weeks then put them out
Surprisingly Darwin climate is much more wet/dry with more defined seasons....in FNQ we can get rainy periods all year, like now for instance its just shockingly wet and mouldy weather....it can be quite challenging even for vegatables ..so in Darwin were you planting in the autumn for a late spring/early summer pick..did you have any problems with them starting to revegetate midway through budding..?

Cheech

Vegetating
User ID
Thanks for the advice man..I'll look into those you have recommended ...do you grow them outdoors and when do you try and pick them....I imagine they would rot if you planned on picking buds in full on wet season period ..?..
JULY 7 could be good keep em warm for a month and pull before Christmas.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Surprisingly Darwin climate is much more wet/dry with more defined seasons....in FNQ we can get rainy periods all year, like now for instance its just shockingly wet and mouldy weather....it can be quite challenging even for vegatables ..so in Darwin were you planting in the autumn for a late spring/early summer pick..did you have any problems with them starting to revegetate midway through budding..?
No re vegging I'd start em off late April early may inside and veg 24 hour light then put them out start June they would start budding about 2 weeks later and be done by start of september or the ulterative would get some strains from similar climate like Chech said Thai strains for instance that would be used to similar tropical conditions and be more mold resistant

LegalAU

Germinating
User ID
Hi mates what info can you give me for a Vic.. south very south.. I’m in flower and it’s raining a bit only showers but over last 3 days is little concern. Have had rain on pre flower and buds before bit it’s humid and it’s now full flower or end of preflight fully now. Sort of. All bud sites have developed. Or bar from low stem half way up sections have nothin but the tip is ripe with flower.

Anyway I use power feed pro all time into flower I drop dose hugely . Now use Potash Plus Phosphor and worked brilliant only last feed 1-2 days later had long rain light rain for night few hours and then continued so buds haven’t got chance to DRY FullyX some time maybe mostly dry plant but then got rained in even light as all fuck and it’s covered again lol..

I read Milk water is good for power mildew and other but I think maybe it’s bad as it can cause other issue with a bug or whatever.

What about Potassium Bicarbonate?? It’s said in many posts that’s its the best remedy for treatment AND prevention? As that’s what I need prevention as I don’t have it yet?? But I don’t want to give it a chemical even though p bicarbonate is organic? but still spray onto bud I will smoke.. ? If it helps stop rot though I’ll use it… please help cheers folks! Here are my 3-4 week flowers while wet tonight. Been shaking them dry or off.. not dry.. but shaking them every time I get a Chance or after rain when home.. thanks again 8C12F8C3-9A9F-466B-A3AC-AFB9E1BA0A08.jpeg
804E67C5-4163-44B6-B628-E78FABC876D6.jpeg

Thanks

Top Bottom