Making Everclear for RSO.

Green_Sick

Vegetating
User ID
Everclear, ethanol, moonshine, vodka....

Lots of names for a clear distilled spirit that's over 80 proof.

I'm lucky I have a turbo still and I've been making my own for a long time.
I mainly used it for herbal tinctures and for 'medicinal' use.

I was very lucky early on to have access to a recipe for the wash that uses household ingredients.
I've since learned that others call it 'Birdwatchers' or even TPW - Tomato Paste Wash.

The recipe is very simple and here is a handy calculator to figure out the correct measurements of the ingredients depending on how much wash you wish to make. *Note..the yeast is bread yeast.*

Here is a very good YT tutorial on how to distil the wash.

I've dragged out my fermenting barrel and air lock and I'm making another batch to make RSO.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
Everclear, ethanol, moonshine, vodka....

Lots of names for a clear distilled spirit that's over 80 proof.

I'm lucky I have a turbo still and I've been making my own for a long time.
I mainly used it for herbal tinctures and for 'medicinal' use.

I was very lucky early on to have access to a recipe for the wash that uses household ingredients.
I've since learned that others call it 'Birdwatchers' or even TPW - Tomato Paste Wash.

The recipe is very simple and here is a handy calculator to figure out the correct measurements of the ingredients depending on how much wash you wish to make. *Note..the yeast is bread yeast.*

Here is a very good YT tutorial on how to distil the wash.

I've dragged out my fermenting barrel and air lock and I'm making another batch to make RSO.
Cheers for the videos. I do a similar thing although I use just sugar and yeast. My still attaches to a 50 litre keg and I make the wash in the keg, then ferment in the keg and attach the keg to my still. I put steel wool down the shaft to make it a reflux still. Put the end product through different grades of charcoal and use it for oil and moonshine! Also use the still to make distilled water. Happy days!

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
not suggesting you shouldn't do what your doing just letting you know these things are available

you can buy a 95% grain alcohol here for $75 for 500ml , expensive i know https://winesellersdirect.com.au/pr...ectified-spirit-polish-pure-spirit-500ml.html

you can also buy a home unit called " The Source Turbo Extractor " which will , while making RSO , re capture the alcohol
so you can reuse it on the next batch , you do loose a little alcohol with each run , a couple percent loss i think

https://www.extractcraft.com/shop/source-turbo
not sure if you can buy the unit here in oz though , the reviews seem to suggest it's a good unit

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
not suggesting you shouldn't do what your doing just letting you know these things are available

you can buy a 95% grain alcohol here for $75 for 500ml , expensive i know https://winesellersdirect.com.au/pr...ectified-spirit-polish-pure-spirit-500ml.html

you can also buy a home unit called " The Source Turbo Extractor " which will , while making RSO , re capture the alcohol
so you can reuse it on the next batch , you do loose a little alcohol with each run , a couple percent loss i think

https://www.extractcraft.com/shop/source-turbo
not sure if you can buy the unit here in oz though , the reviews seem to suggest it's a good unit
Cheers for the info Itchy. Sometimes I get lazy and use isopropyl alcohol. Last time I bought it from Sydney Solvents it cost $120 for 20 litres, so around $6 a litre. It was 100% purity.

DSCN5745.JPG
DSCN5746.JPG

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
depends on who you speak with to weather 100% isopropyl is suitable for human consumption or not
as you say if you evaporate it all off it shouldn't be a problem , but how do you confirm it's been fully removed
this is why DIY'ers turn to grain alcohol cos if there's a smudge left its not a major concern especially if someone is
already compromised with some ailment

https://wayofleaf.com/cannabis/101/can-you-use-rubbing-alcohol-to-extract-thc#:~:text=Manufacturers%20denature%20ethyl%20alcohol%20by,already%20unfit%20for%20human%20consumption.

Final Thoughts on Using Rubbing Alcohol to Extract THC From Weed​

The answer to the title question is ‘yes,’ but with a fair number of caveats. Firstly, you should NEVER use denatured alcohol as it is designed to be poisonous. If you are going to use rubbing alcohol as your solvent of choice, it must be isopropyl-based; ideally up to 99%.

There is a significant amount of confusion when it comes to distinguishing between different types of alcohol. Ethyl, or grain, alcohol is used in the recreational beverages that millions of people enjoy. Manufacturers denature ethyl alcohol by including poisonous substances which render the solution undrinkable.

Isopropyl alcohol, on the other hand, is already unfit for human consumption. Ingesting it can cause intestinal bleeding, vomiting, and occasionally, death. It is less toxic than denatured alcohol but is still poisonous to humans.

Therefore, if you insist on using isopropyl alcohol for THC extraction, extreme caution is advised. You need to ensure that all of the alcohol has been evaporated before using the leftover cannabis concentrate. It is a common solvent in DIY extraction, but we would recommend using food grade ethanol instead.

Once again, you need the ethanol to completely evaporate before using the concentrate. However, if you don’t remove 100% of the ethanol, and consume marijuana, you should not feel too many ill effects since ethanol is safe for human consumption. In fact, it is often used as an additive and food preservative.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
"...if you evaporate it all off it shouldn't be a problem , but how do you confirm it's been fully removed?..."

Well, here's the method I use (and a bit of the science behind it)
Firstly, a bit of the science behind fluid dynamics. If you mix 2 fluids with differing boiling points and heat them, the temp will only rise to the boiling point of the most volatile fluid until all of that fluid has evaporated, then the temp will rise to the temp of the next most volatile fluid.

Iso boils at 82.6C. I heat the oil until most of the iso has evaporated, then I add a teaspoon of distilled water. This allows my mix temp to rise to 100C (The boiling point of water), this removes the last of the iso and any impurities that boil between 82.6 and 100 to be removed too. I only heat it until the water has evaporated, reducing the breakdown of substances over 100C.

So, that's how I remove the last of the iso.

Merl1n

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
What's your take on exposing the filtered mixture 2 sunlight 2 expunge chlorophyl Merl
Ppl say sunlight breaks down T.H.C, but i've tried it and haven't noticed any degradation
Only thing is your mix turns a deep amber or even red
Also after adding water to final heating of iso mix, good idea 2 wait 4 all bubbles 2 cease and u can be pretty sure all iso has gone bye-bye
And 2 be even more safe, dob a needle in 2 mix and heat with naked flame, if no fizzles or reaction of any kind then should be ok
Do u do these same things ?

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
"Ppl say sunlight breaks down T.H.C..."
And, yes it does BUT it's a bit like adding the water to the iso. The iso evaporates first, then the water. Leave it any longer and the cannabinoids start breaking down. IMHO it's the same with sunlight and the chlorophyll. The chlorophyll burns off first, then it starts affecting the cannabinoids. Oil is a different smoke anyway vs bud, making an exact comparison is impossible.

What I do is hang it on the clothesline overnight, by the time I get up and get started, it's probably had 3-4hrs of direct sunlight and that seems to be enough. Here's a pic of the mix before/after the sun treatment, prior to the iso evap
post-24238-0-40185300-1368714275_thumb.jpg
post-24238-0-23516800-1368714360_thumb.jpg

And the colour after evap
post-24238-0-36192100-1368714468_thumb.jpg

Mine tends to set solid, like a sugar toffee once the full evap is complete, this maybe due to the lack chlorophyll?? not sure.
But it still works, ohh man, does it work? Welds my arse to the lounge every time 🤣🤣🤣

Merl1n

Last edited:
Top Bottom