Lucas formula - a GH alternative: Green Planet GP3

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
For my current runs I picked up where I left off about 7 years ago and running the H3ad modified version of the Lucas formula in coco. This was all the rage back in the day, and the guys in the US raved about it. I don't know if it's popular still and if many Aussies got into it.

I still had some old General Hydroponics bottles kicking about and they've still done a solid job. But, GH products are either unavailable in Aus or you need to use the rather expensive Euro versions. This was going to be a problem if I wanted to stick with this method going forward. Alternatively I was looking at switching to a dedicated coco A&B solution going forward but something caught my eye:

Green Planet GP3, a three part grow/micro/bloom nutrient line. I did a look at the guaranteed analysis of each and they are a 1:1 replica of the GH Flora three part. Best of all, it's much cheaper than GH and available at many different hydro shops. I'm super happy as this'll be a much more cost effective alternative for me (I did buy a bottle of Terra Aquatica bloom recently and it's bloody expensive for what it is).

This may not be what most people do these days given all the available nutrient brands and combos, but I like the thinking behind this combo, the simplicity of a 1:1.5 ratio (for H3ad's version, or 1:2 for Lucas) and from my experience it works very reliably for all phases of growth. I do supplement with some other stuff. My current mix is something like:

- 9L water
- 9 mL silica (brand and % dependent)
- 9 mL cal mag (using GH at the moment, but will switch when I'm out)
- 12.8 mL GH micro
- 19.2 mL GH bloom
- 9 mL GoGo Juice

Comes out at around EC 1.6 and pH is pretty stable (usually adjust down slightly). I adjust over all strength depending on stage of growth - the above is more what I do through veg, and then tweak it in bloom slightly). I'll be able to sub the Green Planet micro/bloom in for GH when those GH bottles go dry and shouldn't skip a beat.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
Top Bottom