Lighting Calculators

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Lighting Calculators, does anyone know of any up to date Calculators, preferably something that does right across the board of HPS, CMH, LED, etc..?

I know OSA has one somewhere, but it's out of date as it only covers HPS.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
LOL, for now still (just). But yeah, wondering if some whizz has come up for a universal one yet.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Yeah, s'pose so.. I'd guess there'd be a bit of variance within the LED range alone.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Ahh, good stuff. :cool:

Cheers for that, Merl. (y)

EDIT: Got the main info I was after..

With HID lighting, the rule is about 40 watts per square foot (430 watts per square meter).

I wanted to check whether i'd be stretching the boundaries by trying to cover a 1.2sqm rectangle shaped scrog screen with a 400w HPS Digital Ballast on a Light mover. It would appear if i run the ballast in SL mode*, it'll be fairly close to optimum coverage.

*SL mode produces an extra 10% output at bulb

Last edited:

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Ahh, good stuff. :cool:

Cheers for that, Merl. (y)

EDIT: Got the main info I was after..

I wanted to check whether i'd be stretching the boundaries by trying to cover a 1.2sqm rectangle shaped scrog screen with a 400w HPS Digital Ballast on a Light mover. It would appear if i run the ballast in SL mode*, it'll be fairly close to optimum coverage.

*SL mode produces an extra 10% output at bulb
Go get another 400w hps IMO cheaper than a light mover the extra light has many uses even saving you cash

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Go get another 400w hps IMO cheaper than a light mover the extra light has many uses even saving you cash

Yeah, nah. light mover draws something like 5 watts. Not only that, a single 600w produces more lumens than what two 400w can. So a 600w would be on the shopping list before another 400w if that was the direction i would take.

Also the reason for light mover is for better canopy penetration than what stationary lights can provide.

Kinda baffled to where you seem to think where the savings are to be had?

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Facing the fact that Lux/Lumens are old school, and leaping
to the PPF-d of the new(only cause LEDS work in PPF-d)

I found a ppf-d convertor and Lu to PPF-d convertor ...very handy

don't forget it you are firing over 1000 U-mols (at the old 6500 kelvin)

you are growing very well indeed

many expensive lights can get to 20000 U-mols but you will need
the C02 and gear to keep up with the grow

My old 600w HPS can get to 850 U-mols on 2700 kelvin at 750mm of the leaf

which is still borderline, if I do go quantum board, I'll go 850-ish but with many

for better coverage imo

good luck

Top Bottom