Legalise It .....

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
News / Politics

Aussies could smoke weed at Amsterdam-style coffee shops under new Greens bill​

There would be a six-plant limit for home growers but no upper limit on possession under the Greens proposal.

ANTON NILSSON
APR 06, 2023
Gift
Give this article
A medical cannabis cultivation centre in the US state of Illinois

Cannabis would be available to be bought and smoked at Amsterdam-style cafés or grown at home under a legalisation bill written by the Greens.
Adults would be allowed to grow up to six plants at home for private consumption, and there would be no upper weight limit for possession, according to the bill drafted by Senator David Shoebridge.

“This bill could legalise cannabis in one go across the country with a simple and coherent national scheme for growing, distribution, sales and taxation,” he said. “What we have created with this bill is a core set of principles for an ethical cannabis market that is controlled by individuals and small businesses rather than big pharma, big tobacco or big alcohol.”

The legislation would establish a regulator called the Cannabis Australia National Agency (CANA), which would be responsible for quality checks and labelling. It would also set the standard for licences being legally required to import, export and sell cannabis.

A cannabis growing facility near Armidale, NSW (Image: AAP/Supplied)
The agency would maintain a register of cannabis plant varieties, known as strains.
Specially licensed cannabis cafés would be allowed to sell cannabis buds or products such as brownies, and would allow customers to smoke the weed onsite, as long as it was in an outdoor area and not a nuisance to the public. Cafés would also be allowed to sell cannabis online.
The bill would not allow advertising cannabis except for certain forms of ads displayed at places where it would be sold.

Shoebridge said the bill was inspired by places abroad where cannabis has been regulated, including Canada: “We have learnt from the experience in other jurisdictions and tried to draw a middle path between the let-it-rip corporate markets in the US and more tightly controlled government supply.

“We don’t want the market to be dominated by a handful of large corporations but we certainly don’t want to be the fun police either.”
The federal legislation would override any state or territory laws that prohibit the use and possession of cannabis. Serious offences under the bill — such as supplying weed to a minor — would be penalised at two years’ imprisonment, 2000 penalty points, or both.

Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO) costings previously issued to Shoebridge show a combination of GST, company tax and a 15% cannabis sales tax could add up to more than $28 billion in government revenue in the first decade after legalisation. If the cannabis tax was set at 25%, the revenue would be more than $36 billion. The price of a gram of cannabis would begin at $13, according to the PBO analysis, Shoebridge said.
The Greens will seek consultation on the bill before introducing it to Parliament.

Many countries have legalised cannabis use in recent years, including Canada, Mexico and Thailand. There are also dozens of countries where the use of the drug has been decriminalised.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR​

Anton Nilsson — Politics Reporter

Anton Nilsson
POLITICS REPORTER @ANTONKNILSSON
Anton Nilsson is Crikey's federal political reporter. He previously covered NSW Parliament for NCA NewsWire, and before that, worked for Sweden's Expressennewspaper as well as other publications in Sweden, Australia and the United States.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
This is all good, but don't think for a minute Aussie big pharma will take this lying down.
They're not going to let go of their massive investment that easy.
It may not be all smooth sailing.i predict much skullduggery!and greens already suggesting $13 per gram🤔either way should be interesting.🥳

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID
While not included in the bill, the Parliamentary Budget Office initial costing of the scheme assumes a $13 per gram cost initially, going down to $6 per gram after the operation of the scheme for 5 years.

Also in the bill:
In this Act:

cannabis means:
(a) a cannabis plant; or
(b) cannabis resin; or
(c) any other form of cannabis (including flowering or fruiting
tops, leaves, seeds or stalks, but not including cannabis
fibre).

16 Offence—importation of cannabis products
A person commits an offence if:
(a) the person imports a cannabis product into Australia; and
(b) the importation is not authorised by a licence.
Penalty: 2,000 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years, or both.

So you can't buy seeds from overseas unless you have a license.

28 Conditions of licences—general
(1) A licence is subject to the following conditions:

(a) the licence holder must not sell a cannabis product to a
person who is under 18 years of age;
(b) the licence holder must not allow any person who is under 18
years of age to have access to a cannabis product;
(c) the licence holder must not provide a cannabis product as
part of a commercial promotional activity;
(d) the licence holder, and any other person prescribed by the
regulations, must undertake specified approved RSC training;
(e) if the licence authorises the growing of a cannabis plant, the
plant must not be grown in a residential zoned area;
(f) any condition prescribed by the regulations;
(g) any condition imposed by the Agency at the time the licence
is issued or at any time afterwards.

If you have a license you can't grow in residential areas. That's kind of disappointing.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
This is all good, but don't think for a minute Aussie big pharma will take this lying down.
They're not going to let go of their massive investment that easy.
It may not be all smooth sailing.i predict much skullduggery!and greens already suggesting $13 per gram🤔either way should be interesting.🥳
Yeah mate I'm with you!! The pharma cunts have way more power than the greens here!! No way they want pot sold I shops for $13 a gram!!
Let's be honest 90% of people currently on medical cannabis (a term I fucking hate because weed grown by fucking pharmaceutical companies is just weed like we all grow just on a massive scale) are recreational smokers who are sick of buying pgr shit!! They are not using this as a medical solution to a condition they have!!
Some how pharmaceutical companies have lobbied the fucking spineless government into letting them become fucking legal weed dealers!! They are allowed to grow it process it and sell it to the public with 1 fucking pretend call to a doctor saying I have a sore back, I can't sleep or I have Anxiety and boom legal weed posted straight to ya door!!
No fucking way are they going to let the greens stop this gravy train lying down!!

30% a year growth!! No fucking way anything the greens propose will stop this!! Pharmaceutical has the market locked down!!

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Also in the bill:

So you can't buy seeds from overseas unless you have a license.

If you have a license you can't grow in residential areas. That's kind of disappointing.
Yeah this bill is fucking garbage lip service to shut people like us on this forum up and make us think they care about our liberty's and are going to give us a fair go!!
Fucking bullshit!!

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah this bill is fucking garbage lip service to shut people like us on this forum up and make us think they care about our liberty's and are going to give us a fair go!!
Fucking bullshit!!
Well I like it myself. It's better than anything anyone else is putting forward. They don't have to be doing this.
The Greens are putting this forward in good faith so to call it "fucking bullshit" is harsh imo especially considering
you'd be a beneficiary of this legislation if it gets up. Have some faith Porky.

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
The teenage stoner in me still can’t believe I get legal dope from a chemist.
So I have a little faith. Agree about the medical companies trying to stop this. But shit. If there is a god and Peter Tosh is up there I hope he can swing it ;)

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Well I like it myself. It's better than anything anyone else is putting forward. They don't have to be doing this.
The Greens are putting this forward in good faith so to call it "fucking bullshit" is harsh imo especially considering
you'd be a beneficiary of this legislation if it gets up. Have some faith Porky.
How will this benefit me?? If you mean less harsh or no penalties for getting busted or getting busted won't be a thing.
I vote for the Greens remember!!

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
The teenage stoner in me still can’t believe I get legal dope from a chemist.
So I have a little faith. Agree about the medical companies trying to stop this. But shit. If there is a god and Peter Tosh is up there I hope he can swing it ;)
I saw Peter Tosh play live at the Myer Music Bowl in the early 80's.

Band started up some reggae groove ........

He arrived on stage on a unicycle smoking a huge spliff, passing it around to his band, whilst
still on the unicycle.

Cool dude.

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I saw Peter Tosh play live at the Myer Music Bowl in the early 80's.

Band started up some reggae groove ........

He arrived on stage on a unicycle smoking a huge spliff, passing it around to his band, whilst
still on the unicycle.

Cool dude.
I don’t often get jealous. But I am now.
:)

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I don’t often get jealous. But I am now.
:)
Prepare to get even more jealous.

I saw Bob Marley's last Australian show at Festival Hall in May 1979.

Including encores, The Wailers played for over 3 hours.

It was better than Peter Tosh if I had to choose. o_O

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Very lucky to see both.
wow.
I missed burning spear when they played about 100 meters from where I lived, didn’t have the $
Still bummed about that.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Prepare to get even more jealous.

I saw Bob Marley's last Australian show at Festival Hall in May 1979.

Including encores, The Wailers played for over 3 hours.

It was better than Peter Tosh if I had to choose. o_O

I seen him a the State theatre, same tour

Ppl lighting up in the audience

The emergency exit at the front he stairs were full of ppl puffing

Joints being passed along seats

Saw Frank Zappa , Norman Gunsten play harmonica wow , Bob Dylan and many more

David Bowie , The cure in a pub

Fuck those were the days , go to a pub to the oils , chisel

George Throuhgood , canned heat

How good were the Sports !

Mental as Anything in a wine bar , with only 10 of us there

Thin Lizzy , at the Opera house

Fuck those were the days

And not to forget , Hugo a Gogo , lol that was our band , we played the pubs around North Sydney and the eastern suburbs for a few yrs back then

Then we went punk and called ourselves the toe cutters , n9w that was fun

Top Bottom