Jerusalem Artichokes & Dragonflies

missrachael

Germinating
User ID
Evening folks, anyone else enjoyed a plethora of Dragonflies this Summer? I get a spiritual vibe when they accompany me around the garden. Snapped this fella under my newly erected cover for the girls.

Also my JA's are the tallest I've ever seen them (note the HH on the left).....I feel like they are awesome soil conditioners/nitrogen fixers plus make the best soup. Super veg crop!

Attachments

• 20230313_191935.jpg
    20230313_191935.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20230319_110348.jpg
    20230319_110348.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 32

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Spiritual you say .?
Iā€™d be out there practicing my backhand volleys.
šŸ˜‚
A79C2A8A-A3C1-4395-B2C0-D2F1D6171273.png

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Dragonflies and Mayflies aren't just a sign of a healthy ecosystem, they specifically are an indicator of clean highly oxygenated freshwater. The larval stages are voracious predators, but can only survive in the cleanest of waters. Freshwater ecologists commonly sift the sediment from a river bed and count the various insects. Dragonflies and mayflies are key indicator species that suggest a clean river. I spent several summers doing exactly this during uni!

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
O
Evening folks, anyone else enjoyed a plethora of Dragonflies this Summer? I get a spiritual vibe when they accompany me around the garden. Snapped this fella under my newly erected cover for the girls.

Also my JA's are the tallest I've ever seen them (note the HH on the left).....I feel like they are awesome soil conditioners/nitrogen fixers plus make the best soup. Super veg crop!
Oh intersting. Iā€™ve eaten them but not grown them. Next season I will for sure. Yum.
JA that is not dragon flies

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Evening all.

Just cooked up a batch of Jerusalem artichokes from my first crop, got about 4kg from 1.5m x 0.5m. Not bad for my climate, will be planting a bigger patch next season.

Tasted great pan fried with garlic, parsley and lemon juice!

missrachael

Germinating
User ID
Evening all.

Just cooked up a batch of Jerusalem artichokes from my first crop, got about 4kg from 1.5m x 0.5m. Not bad for my climate, will be planting a bigger patch next season.

Tasted great pan fried with garlic, parsley and lemon juice!
Awesome, they are such a prolific crop hey.....the dish you cooked sounds delice! I haven't harvested any as yet, thanks to our Sth Gippy temps they keep well in the soil and get sweeter too. I make big batches of soup with them & freeze plus roast them etc.

I feel they are great soil conditioners/nitrogen fixers as well as being nutritious, yum & easy to grow.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Awesome, they are such a prolific crop hey.....the dish you cooked sounds delice! I haven't harvested any as yet, thanks to our Sth Gippy temps they keep well in the soil and get sweeter too. I make big batches of soup with them & freeze plus roast them etc.

I feel they are great soil conditioners/nitrogen fixers as well as being nutritious, yum & easy to grow.
Yes I was surprised at how well they yield. Oh nice that you can leave them in the ground. We had to dig them up so hopefully alright in the fridge in perforated bags, they can rot in the ground here.

Freezing the soup is a good idea, will try that to preserve them longer!

Yeah they do seem to create nice soil, and loosened it up a bit.

Another good one for your area is Chinese yam. I grow it here but it prefers cooler temps, it's not as vigorous as my other yams.

missrachael

Germinating
User ID
Yes I was surprised at how well they yield. Oh nice that you can leave them in the ground. We had to dig them up so hopefully alright in the fridge in perforated bags, they can rot in the ground here.

Freezing the soup is a good idea, will try that to preserve them longer!

Yeah they do seem to create nice soil, and loosened it up a bit.

Another good one for your area is Chinese yam. I grow it here but it prefers cooler temps, it's not as vigorous as my other yams.
Will check out Chinese Yams, thanks @GreenMan

Top Bottom