Is this mould?

stickyfingers

Germinating
User ID
Hey
Attached photos show what I think is mould. Autos, outdoor, and it’s getting very humid. Any tips on keeping mould at bay, outdoors? Also the second photo shows a close up of the trichomes on the same plant, do u think I should just harvest and be done with it.

Attachments

• 53AD43CE-3E5A-4E16-BCED-50B756D17481.jpeg
    53AD43CE-3E5A-4E16-BCED-50B756D17481.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 1F9DA0CA-39A7-4CFD-9527-EDF8A5EE21B1.jpeg
    1F9DA0CA-39A7-4CFD-9527-EDF8A5EE21B1.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 40

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Hey Sticky,
Everybody's preference to trichome colour is different. Me, I like a 'weld my ass to the lounge' type stone, so I want my trichomes to be caramel/burnt toffee brown and I flower for a bit longer than most. But if you're after a more uplifting type stone, an earlier harvest can provide this. My only recommendation here is to wait until her white pistils turn brown at least once. Harvesting before they've gone brown once can make the smoke taste very young.

Now, for your question :- "Is this mould?"
I would suggest it is mould. Any damage, where the branch meets the stem can cause it to weep. The weeping provides the moisture the mould needs to flourish. As the mould spreads it damages even more of the stem, feeding itself from the moisture. Now, it looks like mould to me and the spores may have spread along the stem, but to me it looks like it's only a stem mould, not a bud mould. If it was bud mould, I'd say there'd be no question. Rip it. But stem mould can 'sometimes' be managed, if it's caught before those spores disperse.

Depending on how long you've got to go, you could carefully remove the affected stem. Any movement of that stem will disturb and release spores, so you've got to be CAREFUL. But here's what I did:
I got a plastic sandwich bag and slipped it over the branch, all the way to the main stem. Being careful not to disturb/move it too much. I then sealed the bag with tape and cut the branch level with the main stem, removing it from the growspace. I then place a smear of clone gel over the wound on the main stem. The gel seals the wound and prevents it from weeping too much.

So, that's what I did.

Last edited:

stickyfingers

Germinating
User ID
Hey Sticky,
Everybody's preference to trichome colour is different. Me, I like a 'weld my ass to the lounge' type stone, so I want my trichomes to be caramel/burnt toffee brown and I flower for a bit longer than most. But if you're after a more uplifting type stone, an earlier harvest can provide this. My only recommendation here is to wait until her white pistils turn brown at least once. Harvesting before they've gone brown once can make the smoke taste very young.

Now, for your question :- "Is this mould?"
I would suggest it is mould. Any damage, where the branch meets the stem can cause it to weep. The weeping provides the moisture the mould needs to flourish. As the mould spreads it damages even more of the stem, feeding itself from the moisture. Now, it looks like mould to me and the spores may have spread along the stem, but to me it looks like it's only a stem mould, not a bud mould. If it was bud mould, I'd say there'd be no question. Rip it. But stem mould can 'sometimes' be managed, if it's caught before those spores disperse.

Depending on how long you've got to go, you could carefully remove the affected stem. Any movement of that stem will disturb and release spores, so you've got to be CAREFUL. But here's what I did:
I got a plastic sandwich bag and slipped it over the branch, all the way to the main stem. Being careful not to disturb/move it too much. I then sealed the bag with tape and cut the branch level with the main stem, removing it from the growspace. I then place a smear clone gel over the wound on the main stem. The gel seals the wound and prevents it from weeping too much.

So, that's what I did.
Thanks for the info Merlin much appreciated
This plant has matured from the top down. The buds up high have pistils that have already matured (turned brown) and it's the bottom buds (which is where the mould is ) are still white and emerging wtf. Is it normal for a plant to be this different? I suppose fruit trees don't ripen their fruit all at once.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
...I suppose fruit trees don't ripen their fruit all at once.
Correct.
Outdoors, as the earth rotates the light changes throughout the day and the only part that gets light most of the day is the tops.
Indoors, we train the growth out so the entire plant gets equal light. Outdoor the plant naturally grows ^ shape or like a xmas tree shape. Indoors we invert it, to a 'V' shape (me personally, I also strip out most of the popcorn bud, the lighter fluffy bud that doesn't get full light exposure). By making it 'V' shape it maximises the bud sites exposed to the maximum light.

Top Bottom