Is this a good system?..

R3za92

Baked
User ID
This system comes marketed as a recirculating top feed system, Probably more like recirc NFT then DWC i suppose as the roots are meant to stay in the clay ball bag not in the RES and the pump just reuses the nute from the tank.

But I definitely agree with you on that would be better to just put a drain hose on the bottom tank and use it as run to waste to avoid high temp, root rot and pathogens that grow in it.

And Yes definitely do not recommend RDWC as a first time grower. As we've all seen
Don’t even need a drain hole as long as you check it every 1/2 days and use the wet vac to empty it. The roots will need constant water in the bottom res or they’ll just air prune which won’t hurt them.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

drgreenthumb

All time Shittest Trimmer.
User ID
Would using a fish tank heater help that problem Doc ?
The water getting warm will be your problem bud. Need a chiller but without the tank insulated it will burn the chiller out and cost a shithload from having to work all the time

Last edited:

drgreenthumb

User ID
Don’t even need a drain hole as long as you check it every 1/2 days and use the wet vac to empty it. The roots will need constant water in the bottom res or they’ll just air prune which won’t hurt them.
yea i'm suggesting to just have the root stay in the clay bag.

They wont air prune cause there is no light and wet as all hell in the sock that goest from the pot to the tank, its fully sealed.

If you leave solution in the bottom tank the roots will chase the water and sit in a solution which may not have much D/O and Id imagine wont have constant Ph and EC monitoring.

The roots would just rot and go rancid. Best to keep the Roots out of it if you want to do run to waste.

Yowie2.02318

Blooming
User ID
The water getting warm will be your problem bud. Need a chiller but without the tank insulated it will burn the chiller out from having to work all the time
Oh, I see now I’m just thinking as where I live if the res is in my tent, with where it sits my floating floorboards seem to stay cool, if I used multiple chillers would this reduce the strain on them making them possibly last for an auto grow?

R3za92

Baked
User ID
yea i'm suggesting to just have the root stay in the clay bag.

They wont air prune cause there is no light and wet as all hell in the sock that goest from the pot to the tank, its fully sealed.

If you leave solution in the bottom tank the roots will chase the water and sit in a solution which may not have much D/O and Id imagine wont have constant Ph and EC monitoring.

The roots would just rot and go rancid. Best to keep the Roots out of it if you want to do run to waste.

ahh your saying use the bags that come with it. I’m saying throw those out and go fabric pots so the fabric would air prune before the roots get to the res.

Yowie2.02318

Blooming
User ID
I have got ph and tds, EC , ppm meters, and as of an operation I can work until late this year anyway, I am literally home bound with my back injury, so I do have nothing but time to look after all the water res if I have guidance from you guys for sure

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
hang on, are you saying this system is designed to have roots in the res? I think not.

drgreenthumb

User ID
ahh your saying use the bags that come with it. I’m saying throw those out and go fabric pots so the fabric would air prune before the roots get to the res.
Yea that would definitely be better but trying to utilise at least some of the system that he paid for ahahaha. I think in if we keep going for another few post we will have the entire system where it should be, In the bin!:p

drgreenthumb

User ID
hang on, are you saying this system is designed to have roots in the res? I think not.
Im not saying that at all Billy, In earlier posts you may see I tried this in a single version and the roots chase through the bottom and go int the res which is what they are sitting on

drgreenthumb

User ID
It comes with a pump in the thing they are sitting (which is meant to be the Res) on which pumps up to the halos and runs through the clay balls and back down into the res and so on....

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
yeah ok.

so move the res outside the tent, elevate plastic buckets and just drill one hole for a return line in each?

drgreenthumb

User ID
yeah ok.

so move the res outside the tent, elevate plastic buckets and just drill one hole for a return line in each?
Well they need the res to sit on. They aren't full sealed bags. They have about a 100mm hole in the bottom which has mesh over it to stop the clay balls falling though the bottom and then a hole in the platform they sit on for each bag that the waste will run straight through into the tank.

drgreenthumb

User ID
Be better off to to what R3za92 suggested and have a new res outside and just pump fresh from that and drain the run off from the tank they are sitting on constantly. Run to Waste is a lot more forgiving if you are new to the game

Top Bottom