Hps & led ❓

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
Gdayy everyone

One of the best days so far outside , delightful.

Quick questions on lighting
I have tent 800x800x1600.

Fans etc no problems

I have a Mars Hydro 600 true 100 watt.( I think this is the one responsible for 🔥) in tent with the 3 in pic.

I also have a 250 watt HPS and balaste that says 250 watt.

Put aside the 🔥 for now.

Which light will be the best for veg and even flower ?

What is the formula to work out how much they cost ish on average....

I have a 600 watt HPS globe there...will this balaste boot it up.
I hope I have made sense!

Cheers guys

Attachments

• IMG20230404094531.jpg
    IMG20230404094531.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230404094521.jpg
    IMG20230404094521.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230404094535.jpg
    IMG20230404094535.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230405113539.jpg
    IMG20230405113539.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
That looks like the old magnetic ballasts.
if it says 250w then that’s as high as it will go.

if you get a digital HPS ballast you can switch between 250 , 400 and 600 w on most of them .

Digital ballasts perform better than those older magnetic ballasts.

But for quicker Veg time you want a Metal Halide globe ( ,,they work on the HPS ballasts,)I only used metal halide at 250 and 400w for veg then put in the 600w HPS globe for flowering .

Your led will most likely perform as good as a 250w on a HPS ballast ,,,and most importantly will throw out less heat in that small tent.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
yapp sure is

ok cool that's what I thought just wanted double check.

oh ok that digital sounds like a futures thing for now.

that's the go, its already set up with it in they're. Is it cheaper to run.....I do have 18 panels on roof so daytime its almost if free power.
tbh with ya i would rather stay with LEDs.
i have another tent coming same size.

Im expecting some beens in the mail atm,so im rigging up to run 1 tent for an auto,veg,clones ?
the second tent i just want to try to flower some clones of this SO CALLED BUDDHA SEEDS uno the one (y)
and then reveg etceteraaaaa.
fingers crossed haha

✌️🇲🇱

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
theres a fuckn shit load of magnetic ballasts out there so i will investigate , but $150 bucks is nuttn compared to the return thats all i care about haha

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
but the Globes

That's a different ball game haha

would love some clear direction on style of bulb
thousands of the fuckers out there as well.

cheers in Advance.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
Reread what I said ,,the answer is the
Reread what I said ,,the answer is there
so three bulbs
250 400 600 yea metal halide yea digital ballast yea = $$$$ yea
i would like to get rid of that fucn batwing that is over the bulb so can i use the round bulbs oval bulbs ????
if not i will just get the straight fkn things and use the batwing and put the 🔥 in the shed......and just run a hotter growroom instead of using 2 leds that will do the job ......🏌️‍♂️

Indy

Misfit
User ID
250 400 600 yea metal halide yea digital ballast yea = $$$$ yea
i would like to get rid of that fucn batwing that is over the bulb so can i use the round bulbs oval bulbs ????
if not i will just get the straight fkn things and use the batwing and put the 🔥 in the shed......and just run a hotter growroom instead of using 2 leds that will do the job ......🏌️‍♂️

The light socket on the bracket should be adjustable on the bat-wing. Usually it's a couple of thumb screws on either side that you back off and slide to the desired height/clearance, and tighten back up again.

EDIT: What i've found is the choice of bulbs in the 250w range is pretty well reduced to a few no name brands these days. Just if you do go shopping for some new bulbs, be sure to get them in the right kelvin range. From memory, something around the 3000k - 3500k range are about the right ones to go for.

If you were to get serious about HID lighting. Go with a digital one like Sedge mentioned. I've got a 250w-400w Lumatek one and i love it for raising plants from seedling. Usually hit the seedlings with 250w, then switch it over to 400w at about week 2-3. Then use a old 600w magnetic ballast after the 4th week (if heat isn't an issue). Just spewin' i didn't get the 250w to 600w digital ballast originally as i couldve done the lot with one ballast.

Last edited:

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
yeah, i got a few HPS, CMH lights and ballasts lying around for back ups...:cool:

more or less paper weights now until my LED shits itself...only 20000 more hrs to go!;)

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I've got 2×315 ceramic metal halide (cmh) ballast and lamps with adapters to run on regular shades that I want 150 each for them lamps have only done I grow. 1 in that tent would be perfect for veg and bud

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
I've got 2×315 ceramic metal halide (cmh) ballast and lamps with adapters to run on regular shades that I want 150 each for them lamps have only done I grow. 1 in that tent would be perfect for veg and bud
What sort of power does that set up cost ya quarterly???
If you don't mind asking man 👍👍🇬🇳

Hudo

Baked
User ID
What sort of power does that set up cost ya quarterly???
If you don't mind asking man 👍👍🇬🇳
One CMH is only 315 watt so 65 more watts than the dirty old 250HPS but the kicker is the spectrum. CMH are pretty much full spectrum not quite as good as led. also high CRI usually around 90 the sun being 100 here's a spectrum graph of CMH v HPSScreenshot_20230409-115259_Chrome.jpg

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a experienced indoor grower that would suggest a 250w HID is an acceptable grow light. At best you can raise clones/seedlings and keep a plant or two alive with one. But your not really growing dope until your at least under a 400w HPS, and even then the 2ft square footprint is barely enough to keep 1 or 2 folks in choof.

600w is a lot more efficient, and nearly double the lumen output of a 400w HPS. And good enough for a 1m2 footprint (with a bit of drop off on the edges).

CMH tech/gear is disappearing quicker than HPS/MH gear of all the HID stuff. Because.. Surprise surprise, LED has finally surpassed all HID in recent years, performance-wise.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a experienced indoor grower that would suggest a 250w HID is an acceptable grow light. At best you can raise clones/seedlings and keep a plant or two alive with one. But your not really growing dope until your at least under a 400w HPS, and even then the 2ft square footprint is barely enough to keep 1 or 2 folks in choof.

600w is a lot more efficient, and nearly double the lumen output of a 400w HPS. And good enough for a 1m2 footprint (with a bit of drop off on the edges).

CMH tech/gear is disappearing quicker than HPS/MH gear of all the HID stuff. Because.. Surprise surprise, LED has finally surpassed all HID in recent years, performance-wise.
yeah LED is now the king that's why I don't use mine anymore. but he only wants to spend 150 bucks

Top Bottom