How long will a SF 300w LED last..?

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
I've been running it for a couple of years solid... either in 12 or 18..

I've noticed the room getting a little warmer than usual...
Exhaust (heat control) running more these days...

What's the life span on those Samsung diodes ?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Depends on a lot of things. Are You running it at 100%? Are they wired in parallel or series? Is there a fan cooling down the LEDs? Your average temps?
What amperage / voltage each strip runs at?

All these factors will have an effect on the lifespan of the LEDs
More voltage = more heat that those strips will have to deal with.

It's safe to say after a few years the light will be less brighter than what it used to be. But the only way of figuring that out is with a lux meter or an expensive par meter.

Basically It's comparable to computer processors, the increase in voltage won't kill it but the added heat that comes with increased voltage will degrade and possibly fry a CPU, however if that processor remains cool then it doesn't matter how much voltage you put through it, an example would be using liquid nitrogen to cool the chip.

So there's no clear answer as to how degraded your light is. Obviously you didn't cool your LEDs with liquid nitrogen. So your light has probably experienced normal wear and tear as the rest of us.

My DIY build is 4 or so years old and has degraded quite a lot brightness wise,
The first 3-4 strips are reading 30% less LUX then the strips after, due to thermal degradation as they take more current due to wiring in parallel, and these strips are operating at half the maximum capacity.

So your light, even with proper heatsinks, burning bright at a higher capacity would have definitely lost brightness over the years.

As I said, there's variables which will effect how a lights brightness will degrade but nobody will be able to tell how much

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Depends on a lot of things. Are You running it at 100%? Are they wired in parallel or series? Is there a fan cooling down the LEDs? Your average temps?
What amperage / voltage each strip runs at?

All these factors will have an effect on the lifespan of the LEDs
More voltage = more heat that those strips will have to deal with.

It's safe to say after a few years the light will be less brighter than what it used to be. But the only way of figuring that out is with a lux meter or an expensive par meter.

Basically It's comparable to computer processors, the increase in voltage won't kill it but the added heat that comes with increased voltage will degrade and possibly fry a CPU, however if that processor remains cool then it doesn't matter how much voltage you put through it, an example would be using liquid nitrogen to cool the chip.

So there's no clear answer as to how degraded your light is. Obviously you didn't cool your LEDs with liquid nitrogen. So your light has probably experienced normal wear and tear as the rest of us.

My DIY build is 4 or so years old and has degraded quite a lot brightness wise,
The first 3-4 strips are reading 30% less LUX then the strips after, due to thermal degradation as they take more current due to wiring in parallel, and these strips are operating at half the maximum capacity.

So your light, even with proper heatsinks, burning bright at a higher capacity would have definitely lost brightness over the years.

As I said, there's variables which will effect how a lights brightness will degrade but nobody will be able to tell how much
Good explanation. PD - your new AV is yer best yet.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
OK cool... Great info fella..
Seems like it's dimming but hard to tell...
Are there any Android phone apps that can remotely measure light intensity so I can roughly figure out DLI..?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Good explanation. PD - your new AV is yer best yet.
Couldn't pass up on it Sun Ra🤣
OK cool... Great info fella..
Seems like it's dimming but hard to tell...
Are there any Android phone apps that can remotely measure light intensity so I can roughly figure out DLI..?
I think that Photone is the best app, but probably not 100% accurate. I'm sure the reduced light is not a big deal though you might just have to place the light closer if you think it's not as bright. I'm sure it will have a few more runs still

R3za92

Baked
User ID
I've been running it for a couple of years solid... either in 12 or 18..

I've noticed the room getting a little warmer than usual...
Exhaust (heat control) running more these days...

What's the life span on those Samsung diodes ?
Genuine Samsung diodes and pcbs are rated to something like 80000+ hours. Non genuine boards and diodes will be less because they skimp on materials like the copper in the pcb etc. I’d be skeptical that sf are using genuine diodes and not knockoffs.

They’ll run until they don’t. Your also more likely to have a driver failure than a board failure because the chingas love knocking those off as well and using less copper than the original manufacturers.

Top Bottom