Grow tent heating / strains for winter

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Hi everyone
With winter just around the corner I'm interested in knowing how others keep their plants warm and happy (mainly for indoors) and which strains you run or plan on running through the cold months..

What I do is run a small 1000w oil heater, hooked upto the inkbird which will automatically switch on at 15°c then turn off at 20°c. Basically it's just to keep them happy through the nights as it often dips below 10°c here. As for strains well I'm pretty sure Blue Cheese is a solid strain for cold climates, as is Critical Mass which I've already grown out a few times no problemo..

I've heard autos do well in winter due to their ruderalis genetics, so that may be in the books when I've got the space

Then there's a strain I have read about called Friesland, which apparently grows in very harsh conditions/cold climates. So maybe it could be a good candidate for winter grows 🤷...

Here's the heater which I use. Doesn't take up much space at all, perfect for the 5x5

Friesland Strain, would be interesting to see how low of a temperature they could deal with

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Being in seq Im lucky enough to grow out winter with no issues. In the dead of winter it's 11-21c on average here and that ends up 16-24 indoors, and maybe a little more in the tent which is in a closet.

I can imagine a few of the growers down in Tassie have a tough time though.

Have some autos I'll run over winter for shits and giggles (super silver haze from Synergy Automatic and purple haze from sensible seeds).

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Being in seq Im lucky enough to grow out winter with no issues. In the dead of winter it's 11-21c on average here and that ends up 16-24 indoors, and maybe a little more in the tent which is in a closet.

I can imagine a few of the growers down in Tassie have a tough time though.

Have some autos I'll run over winter for shits and giggles (super lemon haze from Synergy Automatic and purple haze from sensible seeds).
Forgot about SAG, good to see they are still around, that gatorslade frost they had looked the goods back then

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hi everyone
With winter just around the corner I'm interested in knowing how others keep their plants warm and happy (mainly for indoors) and which strains you run or plan on running through the cold months..

What I do is run a small 1000w oil heater, hooked upto the inkbird which will automatically switch on at 15°c then turn off at 20°c. Basically it's just to keep them happy through the nights as it often dips below 10°c here. As for strains well I'm pretty sure Blue Cheese is a solid strain for cold climates, as is Critical Mass which I've already grown out a few times no problemo..

I've heard autos do well in winter due to their ruderalis genetics, so that may be in the books when I've got the space

Then there's a strain I have read about called Friesland, which apparently grows in very harsh conditions/cold climates. So maybe it could be a good candidate for winter grows 🤷...

Here's the heater which I use. Doesn't take up much space at all, perfect for the 5x5

Friesland Strain, would be interesting to see how low of a temperature they could deal with

I did a similar thing with an oil heater last two winters - lights on overnight helps with keeping the temps up too.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Forgot about SAG, good to see they are still around, that gatorslade frost they had looked the goods back then
I made a mistake, they SSH autos not SLH and I got them from caveman ages ago. Ran the fat monkey (chimp glue), the gatorslade frost, purple Passion and some SSH from SAG and they were all pretty good tbh.

Was thinking about trying to get them in from US as the site is still up...the gatorslade frost was one of the nicest plants I've grown. Almost greasy to the touch and super terped out.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I made a mistake, they SSH autos not SLH and I got them from caveman ages ago. Ran the fat monkey (chimp glue), the gatorslade frost, purple Passion and some SSH from SAG and they were all pretty good tbh.

Was thinking about trying to get them in from US as the site is still up...the gatorslade frost was one of the nicest plants I've grown. Almost greasy to the touch and super terped out.
I was going to ask if they were from Caveman too. Got some BC mango seeds from him and all the fems hermed. Didn't really get any mango smelling plants either, all my leftover seeds all go into my 'hermie pile' which I probably won't grow out again
I did a similar thing with an oil heater last two winters - lights on overnight helps with keeping the temps up too.
I'd like to try lights on through the night but id be afraid of daytime light leaks

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
1000w oil heater uses lots of electricity. Couple of heat mats on the floor covered with an old towel will retain some warmth at night. The mats only draw about 30w each. Place the pot/saucer on the towel(s). Larger greenhouse heaters are available, and I think(?) they draw about 100wto200w each.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I was half thinking of grabbing one of these heat bars to boost temps a little if things get cooler before harvest date. Thought it might work well in a smaller tent where I can't use a domestic heater. I previously used a cheap $15 space heater in the 4x4 which sort of worked.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
1000w oil heater uses lots of electricity. Couple of heat mats on the floor covered with an old towel will retain some warmth at night. The mats only draw about 30w each. Place the pot/saucer on the towel(s). Larger greenhouse heaters are available, and I think(?) they draw about 100wto200w each.
Oh I forgot to mention it's got 3 modes so the low mode draws about 300w, medium around 500w and 1000w full blast

But what I like about them is they stay warm for a while after they switch off. They work better with some airflow so I run it at the tent door with a gap so the negative pressure pulls the warm air through

Last edited:

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I was half thinking of grabbing one of these heat bars to boost temps a little if things get cooler before harvest date. Thought it might work well in a smaller tent where I can't use a domestic heater. I previously used a cheap $15 space heater in the 4x4 which sort of worked.

I use these and they work well. Use 2 in a 5x5. Always have a fan blowing over the top of them to distribute heat better. Only uses 480w max.

Top Bottom